Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2010, 08:45 AM

8 posts, read 31,307 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We will be moving from Atlanta to NY/CT/NJ area and I wanted to find out what people thought about commutes. We are originally from the Northeast (me-Boston, husband-Jersey) and are trying to find smaller town/good schools (kids 7 and 5) with a not-so-horrible commute to NYC. My husband will be working at 48th and 11th - so am thinking NJ would be best. However, we are trying to see if CT would work for us because of taxes, smaller towns and closer proximity to Boston/coast. He has free garage parking so not opposed to driving, but thinking it would be horrible.

Any ideas for options in CT??? We still own our home in Boston so will be looking to rent a house in a suburban area - for about $3000.00/month, ideally looking for a lease option so when our house sells we can buy without having to move again - we have only lived in Atlanta for 18 months.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 09:28 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Southwestern Connecticut is one of the most expensive parts of the country. I am not sure what you would get for $3,000 per month. The closest town to New York is Greenwich which is about 35 miles from where your husband will work. This would easily be an hour drive everyday.

The next closest town is Stamford which is a city and not what you are looking for. Then would be Darien and New Canaan, both beautful but very expensive towns. They are also about 20 minutes further from your husband's job, so I really believe you should rethink northern New Jersey but the commute into the city is not fun from there either.

What about looking into some of the small towns in Westchester, north of Yonkers. Jay

Old 11-30-2010, 11:57 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,649 times
I'd recommend looking in NJ. His office isn't far from the Lincoln Tunnel if he chose to drive; otherwise the Port Authority (bus station) is on 42nd and 9th Ave, so not a far walk from there. There are a ton of nice towns with good schools in Jersey - recommend checking out the NJ board for more data.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:56 AM

Thank you so much! I had a feeling CT was not going to work, but was hopeful!! Any recommendations in Westchester County?? Someone had also mentioned Rockland County?? Not sure about either one. We will keep looking in Jersey too - is it possible to take the Ferry?? I think he is not far from one of the piers where the ferry goes. I will post on NJ boards too. Thanks so much for your help! We have moved before, but this is overwhelming with three states to choose from!!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:55 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Rockland County may not be good since your husband would have to cross the river and both bridges (George Washington and Tappan Zee) are very busy. There is a Westchester Board on the New York State forum which you can ask questions on towns in Westchester County. You should know though that Westchester is expensive too. Jay

Old 12-01-2010, 09:10 AM

Thanks again Jay!!! We will start researching the Westchester more!!

Old 12-01-2010, 10:06 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
If you were looking at CT due to taxes, you will be horrified with Westchester (more so than NJ). We live there and are looking to move. On a 3BR house in a good district, your taxes will be anywhere from $20-30K a year (house $750K+ for under 2000 sq. ft and pretty old). We are the #1 highest property taxes in the nation.

Also, $3K a month is going to be really stretching it. Personally, we would do Jersey if my husband worked out of Penn Station but since he doesn't, it just doesn't make sense for us.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:55 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
. Personally, we would do Jersey if my husband worked out of Penn Station but since he doesn't, it just doesn't make sense for us.
Believe it or not, New Jersey comes ahead of CT in high cost of living. The desirable towns that are commutable into NYC mirror Darien and New Canann in cost. Many commute from CT into NYC because it is more affordable than the alternatives.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:05 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
Yes, we have been told that. We have family in NJ and MD, though, so if we were to go one direction vs another, it makes more sense to go there, but the commute would stink.

I also wouldn't mind having Christie as my governor, but that's another thread entirely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut