Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 02:14 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,331,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by googabee View Post
I think the interpretation of the flag as being racist or supportive of racism has only developed over the last decade or two. I'm not too old, but growing up, nobody thought the dukes of hazard were racists because of the confederate flag on the general lee. Back in the '80s our former hippy father bought us a go-cart called 'the rebel' which had the confederate flag and a cartoon soldier painted on front. We never considered it had any racial implications at all.

Unfortunately, the rev. Jackson/Sharpton types decided to start attacking the confederate flag as racist a while back and it stuck because so many people jump at the chance to appease them and prove themselves PC or racially sensitive or whatever.

Something similar has happened in recent years with nooses. I'd always associated them with the old west, or any number of other instances they've been used throughout history. Now you'd think they were invented solely to kill black people.

Some people are just looking for any excuse to be offended. For every one of them there's probably 10 who want to prove themselves non-offensive, so it sticks. That's my feeling on it, anyway.

You are absolutely right! Since it was not your family members or people associated with your race that was attacked by people flying the confederate flag while your house burned down and your father/brother hung from a nearby tree......Darn Sharpton and Jackson for starting such rabble

Old 12-02-2011, 02:16 PM

21,634 posts, read 31,242,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
You are absolutely right! Since it was not your family members or people associated with your race that was attacked by people flying the confederate flag while your house burned down and your father/brother hung from a nearby tree......Darn Sharpton and Jackson for starting such rabble
I'd have to agree with this. As with anything in life, people will always feel differently until something happens to them...

Old 12-02-2011, 07:07 PM

334 posts, read 663,493 times
The rebel flag has to many, become a symbol of white resistance. I don't like it because it hurts some people's feelings and I don't want to do that. But, this is America, just because, I, or you for that matter, doesn't like something that doesn't mean we make others take it down. That is my main concern, forcing my likes or dislikes on someone else. Not al all what this country is about.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino1 View Post
The rebel flag has to many, become a symbol of white resistance. I don't like it because it hurts some people's feelings and I don't want to do that. But, this is America, just because, I, or you for that matter, doesn't like something that doesn't mean we make others take it down. That is my main concern, forcing my likes or dislikes on someone else. Not al all what this country is about.
I don't think anyone is demanding people take the flag down. Everyone is voicing their opinions. Isn't the freedom to voice opinion exactly what you're referring to?

Old 12-03-2011, 06:10 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,017,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'll be more concerned when I see Russian or Japanese flags flying in our classrooms.

You're really afraid that illegal immigrants are going to, in so many words, take over America?

I'm all for immigration reform but I'm not going to get my undies in a bunch over flags in a classroom. Lets start talking taxes, job losses, and healthcare with respect to illegals before we begin a juvenile debate on flags in an elementary school.
I generally agree, but I don't know if you realize there is a push to "take back" what Mexico claims was theirs to begin with. No joke.

It looked something like this:

Old 12-03-2011, 06:59 AM

93,495 posts, read 124,229,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I generally agree, but I don't know if you realize there is a push to "take back" what Mexico claims was theirs to begin with. No joke.

It looked something like this:
Where did you get that from?

Also, I wonder how people would feel about this situation that occurred at a school in my area not too long ago: N.Y. School's Iroquois Flag Stirs Protest - Democratic Underground

Yahoo! Groups

Old 12-03-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I don't know if you realize there is a push to "take back" what Mexico claims was theirs to begin with. No joke.
LOL, I'm really not concerned.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:24 PM

334 posts, read 663,493 times
Gee, I am really worried. I mean the Mexican army is one formidable fighting machine. I don't see how our Green Berets or Navy SEALs could ever stand up to them. LOL.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:56 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,322,948 times
shouldn't be placing flags of other countries in classrooms unless it was a special exhibit/demo for a class or something

Old 12-04-2011, 06:01 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,909,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
shouldn't be placing flags of other countries in classrooms unless it was a special exhibit/demo for a class or something
I completely agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut