Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 09:37 AM

7 posts, read 25,259 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am moving to CT from Atlanta & will be looking at a few places this week. I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback on the areas...

The 1st is in Stamford - the West Side area. The 2nd is in Greenwich - the Byram area. I am considering a 3rd in Southern Norwalk but have heard bad things about that area...

Any feedback is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 11:39 AM

4,105 posts, read 8,287,058 times
The West Side of Stamford ain't too hot either-- I would actually much rather live in South Norwalk as there is more to do in the immediate area.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:24 AM

52 posts, read 282,984 times
Can you provide a bit more information about what you are looking for? CT is a state with 169 very distinct towns which all have a different flavor to them. If you can offer some information on the lifestyle you seek, the commute you want and the price range you are considering that would be helpful.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:45 PM

10,055 posts, read 14,422,738 times
The west side of Stamford has the highest crime rate in the city, and is notoriously "a bad area". This "bad area" is a bit more "blighted" and has a lot of more run down apartment buildings, but comparing Stamford's "bad areas" to other cities' "bad areas," Stamford's is a beauty. You can find some pretty good deals on houses all around in Stamford now (buyer's market for the most part), but homes that are in or around the west side of Stamford may be cheaper. It depends on your price range. Stamford's a wealthy city in a wealthy county--it is fast becoming "Manhattanized"--meaning the gap between the rich and poor is growing wider. The middle class is being pushed further north. Ritz Carlton, Trump, and other uber luxury condos are planned or under construction downtown. The southside of Stamford will not be recognizable in most parts in 5 years. It is growing fast.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:00 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,325,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfbunny2000 View Post
The 1st is in Stamford - the West Side area. The 2nd is in Greenwich - the Byram area. I am considering a 3rd in Southern Norwalk but have heard bad things about that area...
Avoid South Norwalk. It's just too much of a mixed bag and you won't feel safe. And the last thing you want is a big move to an area that makes you nervous.

I don't know Stamford well enough to comment.

The Byram area of Greenwich is the "poor" section of Greewich. It used to be solid blue collar, but it's been discovered by people who can't afford Old Greenwich or Riverside. Byram has the tax base and all the amenities of Greenwich making it very attractive.

Check this for property taxes:Connecticut Mill Rates -- Courant.com

Old 07-20-2007, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the feedback - the situation has actually changed a little since my original post...

My partner will be working in Fairfield & I will be attending school at SCSU in New Haven. If a commute is involved I will do the commuting as she sat in Atlanta traffic for an 1 1/2 (one way) for the last 2 years while I finished school.

We are looking to rent and would like an area that is quiet with good access to basic shopping & outdoor recreation. We are looking to keep rent below $1800 if possible...

Old 07-20-2007, 02:36 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
If your partner is going to work in the Town of Fairfield, you shouldn't have any problems finding a nice place for less than $1800 per month. Fairfield is a great town with a lot to offer. Other towns to consider would be Briddgeport, Stratford, Trumbull and Milford. Commuting from any of them to Farifield wouldn't be a problem either. If you give us an idea of the type of place you are looking for, we can help steer you in the right direction.

Also, check craigslist: san francisco bay area classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events for rentals in this area. Jay

Old 07-20-2007, 03:06 PM

JayCT,

Milford is actually one of the ares we looked at - it seems to get very positive feedback...

We are looking for a moderate place (around 1000 sg ft) and would love to be near the beach if possible but we love being just outside of areas with good dining/entertainment scenes. We love quiet areas as our jobs are demanding and we truly like to unwind away from the hustle & bustle of city life if possible.

We have seen several places in Milford that are appealing. We have pets so that is a consideration too. Are there any other specifics I can give you that might help?

Old 07-20-2007, 07:24 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
If you have been to Milford and liked it, then by all means go for it. Your partner will have a commute but it shouldn't be anything like Atlanta which is know for its horrid traffic. If you partner was going to Stamford, that would be a different story. The traffic between Fairfield and Stamford is horrid.

That said, if you really want to please your partner,then look in Fairfield. Your partner's commute will be nothing and yours wouldn't be too bad either. SCSU is about 20 minutes north on the parkway (route 15). Fairfield is a little more upscale than Milford and more expensive. There are many areas near the water. It has four beaches that are open to town residents and a beautiful lake that has a section for dogs. It is a very nice town with a lot to do. Milford however has better shopping options including a major mall and all the major big box stores along Route 1. Good luck with your decision and welcome to Connecticut. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut