Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM

8 posts, read 14,629 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! I currently live in the southwestern U.S. and have limited knowledge about commuting in the northeast. I've been reading over relevent posts but most seem to date back to 2008. I thought I'd spark this again in 2011, in case things have changed.

I've recently accepted a great job opportunity in Windsor Locks, moving later this month. The only problem is that the immediately-surrounding communities don't seem to fit my habitation preferences (based on the few trips I've made thus far). I'm in my late-20s, single and would like to live in a comparable community where I could meet people. While Hartford is close to Windsor Locks, and fits in terms of being an 'urban' environment (a must for me), New Haven seemed to have more to offer someone in my demographic. New Haven also seems to offer more diversity, both in demographics and entertainment. Additionally, I plan on visiting NYC on the weekends with some frequency, and New Haven is positioned ideally in that regard.

I also recognize the need for a sane 4-5 day/week commute. With limited public transportation options, an hour+ drive/ rideshare would be necessary.

Anyone have experience with this? In your opinion, am I incorrect in my assumptions about New Haven or Hartford?

THANK YOU for any commentary! Local insights are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 03:03 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
The commute from New Haven to Windsor locks would be about 55 minutes under ideal conditions. This is already too much IMO. I really think that West Hartford would be a better fit for you. It's urban in character, has plenty of young people in their 20's and an upscale atmosphere. You can't go wrong. It's also much, much safer than New Haven. The only bummer is that it's quite expensive. You will probably pay $1,000 - $1,200 for a 1br apartment. And it won't be a fabulous apartment, either.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:11 PM

58 posts, read 175,500 times
I think that commute would not be fun at all. West Hartford and the West End of Hartford would be fine for you. Believe it or not, Hartford does have a culture scene and 20-somethings who want to have fun. If you want an urban setting, don't ignore Springfield, MA. It can't compare to New Haven, of course, but it's still has some good things going, and is about the same distance to Windsor Locks as Hartford is. Also, Northampton, MA would only be about a 40 minute drive (ideally) to Windsor Locks, and traffic on I-91 through Springfield is not as bad as through Hartford. A commute like that might not be too bad. Northampton has a lot of what you're looking for. Also, you'll place yourself in between both Boston and NYC for weekend trips.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:08 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
I have to agree with the others that the commute would be difficult. You would not only be traveling a good distance, you would also be traveling through Hartford which is a major city that has a lot of traffic. That would add even more time to an already long commute. I do suggest that you consider West hartford or Hartford's West End. I can't imagine it would be any less urban than any major city in the southwest. Jay

Old 01-20-2011, 09:23 AM

856 posts, read 2,016,089 times
Maybe you can give us more insight on your habitational preferences and demographic and we can help you with alternatives.

I agree with the others I only commute about a third of your distance and the time it takes to get to Hartford can change dramatically depending on accidents, weather, any holidays (vaca travellers), and construction projects. Since you commute 5 days a week you would be better off living closer to work and making the 55 minute commute 1-2 times a week for spending time in New Haven or catching the train to NYC.

See if you can find a lease shorter than a year or something month to month (Rivers Bend an equity property in Windsor offers shorter leases). If you really don't like living in the windsor area you're not tied down and can move further away. Also after living here a few months you'll have a better idea of where you want to go.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:03 AM

8 posts, read 14,629 times
Thanks so much for your thoughts, all! I really appreciate the feedback!

I will have an opportunity to try out both W.Hartford and New Haven on a temporary (2ish weeks each) basis. I think that living the commute, test-driving both cities, and considering off-peak hours will be key.

TobinJ, it's difficult to enunciate the precise qualities but I'll give it a shot. I would really like to be in a place with pedestrian access from my home to restaurants, shops, bars, clubs, public transport, etc. If I feel like popping down for a coffee and people-watching on weekends I'm at home "in town", I'd like to be able to do that without the aid of my vehicle. I'm very into the arts, live music, and am active (I'll be seeking out local yoga studios, running clubs, things of that nature.) Ideally, a very diverse, educated population, young professionals, and a thriving arts scene.

I assumed that New Haven might include most of those components (allowing me to build a comfortable daily life), while offering reasonable proximity to work, AND access to the only current contacts I have at this point, in NYC. (Much to ask, I certainly realize )

Old 01-20-2011, 10:05 AM

3 posts, read 8,091 times
Hi, I too am considering the above mentioned commute, not to Windsor Locks, but to East Hartford from New Haven. I am from the "south" but it should be mentioned that the city I live in currently is about 1.5 million people, skyscrapers, art deco architecture, symphony, ballet, farmers markets, posh bars/restaurants, young urban professionals, decent gay night life...(I know shock and amazement that such a city exists outside of the NE) Needless to say I would require these things of any city where I have to live in order to maintain sanity... By all accounts thus far, the only thing being considered is the commute, but does anyone here have insight as to what the quality of (single yuppie) life is like in NH as opposed to west hartford? I am young single, social and ambitious and DO NOT want to be surrounded by soccer moms and suburban sprawl. I would love nothing more than to be able to do what I currently do, and step outside my apartment (a high rise w/ skyscraper views), stroll over to a coffee shop, grab some groceries on foot from whole foods, and even walk to restaurants/bars with my new friends from CT. Is the 50+ min commute so bad that it cant be drowned out with satalite radio, starbucks and a hands free cell phone? For me, someone who ultimately wants to live in NYC, is that 50 min both ways for work bad enough to cancel out the proximity by train to the most populous/interesting/worldly/cosmopolitan city in the US?

Thoughts? Opinions?

Old 01-20-2011, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,091 times
Oh also, isn't the commute from New Haven to the Hartford area against the grain of traffic i.e. the opposite flow of crazieness?

Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
New Haven to East Hartford is MUCH more tolerable than NH to Windsor Locks - you aren't driving right through Hartford. Shoot off of I-91 onto Rt.3 to Route 2 and you are good to go. I work in that general area and quite a few people here do that similar commute.

I think you will find West Hartford to be a little too soccer mom/suburban for your taste. Sure, West Hartford center has some great restaurants, a bunch of concentrated chain stores in Blue Back Square (REI, Crate & Barrel, Cheesecake Factory...), two Whole Foods, but it is still a suburb and feels/looks like one. Your instinct is correct, New Haven suits your needs much better.

BTW, I used to commute New Haven to Wallingford, then for a very short time New Haven to Glastonbury. The commute is not that bad, except on snowy/bad weather days or when you catch accident traffic. If you go I-91/3/2 the only traffic you will routinely hit will be a slow down around your exit for Rt. 3 (I-91, ex. 25).

Old 01-20-2011, 05:49 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,846,720 times
Yes, it absolutely is a crazy plan. Don't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut