Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 08:09 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,218 times

Advertisements

We tried sanding a patch of wood floor scratch marks in the kitchen but it was too deep so those have to be replaced. The problem is that the wood tiles from the kitchen are joined to the breakfast area and dining room so it will be quite awkward to change only the wood floors in the kitchen.

Since we are going to put the house for rent (will eventually sell it), and chances are tenants will eventually scratch the same patch to a beyond repair condition, I wonder how you guys feel about putting in tiles instead.

Ok ok... I know its New England and it isn't in the spirit of the house to do that but I wonder if anyone can suggest some tiles that is easy to clean, scratch resistant and still New Englandy.

We have a colonial farmhouse in Wilton so it will be best that the tiles suggested a farmhousy as well.

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
If these are hardwood tiles that are joined with a tongue/groove type edge, and you can still get the exact same tiles, they can be individually replaced.

Carefully chisel a hole in the center, break apart toward the edges and remove a hunk at a time. Then use a table saw, die grinder or even sharp utility knife to cut off the tongues on the adjoining tiles and on the new one, and glue in place.

I have also seen a nice transition where two rooms had different hardwoods but with a 12" trip of ceramic tile between them.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
If these are hardwood tiles that are joined with a tongue/groove type edge, and you can still get the exact same tiles, they can be individually replaced.

Carefully chisel a hole in the center, break apart toward the edges and remove a hunk at a time. Then use a table saw, die grinder or even sharp utility knife to cut off the tongues on the adjoining tiles and on the new one, and glue in place.

I have also seen a nice transition where two rooms had different hardwoods but with a 12" trip of ceramic tile between them.
This is the other problem - we are changing the layout of our kitchen cabinets too and there are no wood floor under the cabinets so we have to put new stuff in anyway. Can you elaborate on the 12" trip of ceramic tile? Any pictures?

Old 01-27-2011, 05:17 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
I'd go with porcelain instead of ceramic, ceramic cracks too easily.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:24 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
There is literally a gazillion options that can fit your colonial farmhouse. Slate, granite, travertine, satillo (Terra Cotta) etc etc.

Go to a quality tile store and consult.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,034 times
Since you are concerned with maintaining the New England look of your home, I would recommend going with porcelain or slate tiles. Terracotta will give your home a new home feel, and it is very difficult to make 2 kinds of wood look appropriate together even if there is a small visual break between the flooring. Slate looks especially nice if you have slate elsewhere on your property (i.e. in a mud room or in a path/patio outside).

Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
we love tile...

personally i find wood, a product highly effected by water, to be quite the silly choice in a room where water is a huge element...we have well sealed hardwood with extra warentees aginast water damage in our living/dining room...but even then they tell you to clean up spills quickly...

so i never understood the "good idea" behind putting that same product in a room where delicate lines to icemakers and alot of water carrying pipes live.

just make sure your floor is VERY level/flat before laying any type of tile and stick with something that compliments your home and looks good with the existing wood tones in the house and since your redoing the kitchen, looks good with any new counter tops.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,606 times
How old is your house? Are the floors original? Maybe you could just get the wood refinished a little so you're not putting too much time and money into the rental.

However, I think tile would be fantastic. These days they make laminate tiles that are beautiful and not at all cheap looking like laminate used to be.
I saw beautiful laminate tiles in Home Depot that looked they would be slate or stone. They also had some that looked like wood.

Also, how big is the house? The smaller the home= the smaller the rent= don't put too much money into remodeling before you get a tenant. Not that all tenants will trash a house. I can honestly say that this house we are renting is in better shape now than when we moved in here because my husband is so handy. However, with most renters you will get dings here and there so it's best to keep your investment into the house low until you are ready to sell.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,910 times
If I had to do it all over again, I would never put hardwood in my kitchen.

The kids, the dogs, the wear and tear.... our high end hardwood floor looks terrible.

Tile should look great!

Old 01-27-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
How old is your house? Are the floors original? Maybe you could just get the wood refinished a little so you're not putting too much time and money into the rental.

However, I think tile would be fantastic. These days they make laminate tiles that are beautiful and not at all cheap looking like laminate used to be.
I saw beautiful laminate tiles in Home Depot that looked they would be slate or stone. They also had some that looked like wood.

Also, how big is the house? The smaller the home= the smaller the rent= don't put too much money into remodeling before you get a tenant. Not that all tenants will trash a house. I can honestly say that this house we are renting is in better shape now than when we moved in here because my husband is so handy. However, with most renters you will get dings here and there so it's best to keep your investment into the house low until you are ready to sell.
The reason I am getting new tiles/wood floors is because we got someone to refinish the existing floors and he said the damage is beyond repair.

I will look at the suggestions. Thanks guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut