Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 07:16 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
http://education.usnews.rankingsandr...ate-statistics

I'm not following the methodology here. If 8% of CT's schools got bronze or better, and 10% of VA's, why is CT #1? Not saying VA is either, I just don't understand the ranking.

You missed the amount of silver and gold:

Connecticut: 6.2%
Maryland: 4.3%
Virginia: 2.5%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 07:06 PM

113 posts, read 374,388 times
Default New Haven, Connecticut -- "Police State" ?

I feel badly for the 16 officers and their families. Losing a job can be devastating, (as I know, personally,) and I don't wish it on anyone.

Last summer, I lived in the New Haven area, (I'm hoping to move back to CT this year -- I miss it terribly.) I worked as a TV journalist down there at a local station, mostly out of the New London bureau.

At that time, there were a lot of complaints that New Haven had become a “police state.”

That is to say, numerous local merchants (and also, doctors at YNH) were complaining that the New Haven police were acting in an overly aggressive manners -- especially concerning so-called 'victimless crimes.'

Crimes like public intoxication were being handled with excessive force and even violence by the NHPD (and the Yale PD.) Our investigation found that many of these cases were being dismissed in the NH courts.

I saw footage of one such arrest: a group of students parked beside the Shell station on Broadway (across from Yale's Barnes and Noble bookstore) were assaulted by police for supposed ilegal drug possession. (The car's driver had gone into the Shell's mini-mart to purchase a soda.)

It turned out that none of these people possessed any illegal drugs.

Long story short, a homeless man had walked up to the students' automobile, tapped on its window, and then asked then to talk with them. The passenger rolled down his window, and engaged the man in conversation.

The cops thought that they saw something pass through the window (drugs, they suspected.)

The NH and Yale police, thinking that this situation looked fishy, charged at the car, ripped open its doors, and then threw the three passengers to the cement.

None of these kids resisted arrest; regardless, YPD and NHPD used excessive force on them. For example, a NHPD officer threw a student to the cement, and then repeatedly kneeled on his bleeding face.

The homeless man, who was found not to be in possession of anything illegal, was assaulted--thrown to the ground and then repeatedly kicked.

In addition to the first responding officers, five NHPD cruisers arrived on the scene in less than ten min, plus two additional bicycle patrolmen.

...All of this--for what?!!? You'd think that NHPD had just arrested Bernie Madoff.

To me, the most deplorable part of the situation was perhaps this: in order to legitimize its use of force, the NHPD arrested these young students on trumped-up "trespassing" charges.

I understand that the NHPD has an extremely difficult job. In many cases, their jobs involve tough judgement calls... But when you're wrong, you're wrong.

Apologies in cases like these would go a long way toward healing the NHPD's rift with its community.

That's my .02 anyway.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:40 PM

56 posts, read 108,730 times
Camden is like a warzone....they lost 168 cops (45% of the police force)!! The odd thing though is that Cherry Hill, NJ which one of the next towns over is incredibly nice and safe. Are most of the troubled areas in CT pretty much confined to its city? Or does is spill over to others? I'm starting to think about a move from NJ up to CT in a year or two. Debating on where to go though because I don't know much about the cities. From what I've been reading on the boards, West Hartford seems really nice. Anyone know if Danbury or Stamford compare? I'm looking for the ideal suburbia outside of NJ! LOL

Old 03-04-2011, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasK919 View Post
Camden is like a warzone....they lost 168 cops (45% of the police force)!! The odd thing though is that Cherry Hill, NJ which one of the next towns over is incredibly nice and safe. Are most of the troubled areas in CT pretty much confined to its city? Or does is spill over to others? I'm starting to think about a move from NJ up to CT in a year or two. Debating on where to go though because I don't know much about the cities. From what I've been reading on the boards, West Hartford seems really nice. Anyone know if Danbury or Stamford compare? I'm looking for the ideal suburbia outside of NJ! LOL
It's pretty much confined to a few neighborhoods within the cities.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasK919 View Post
Camden is like a warzone....they lost 168 cops (45% of the police force)!!
Again, it's the game that gets played...the union bosses and politicians are playing us. While all these cops get laid off, some overpaid DSS administrator pushing paper is still shining a seat.

Can't lose the "safety net" for a certain group...just the working middle class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's pretty much confined to a few neighborhoods within the cities.
I used to say the same myself, but I'm starting to change my mind - at least in Hartford. It's really the entire North and South end with the exception of a few streets on the extreme ends by the borders. It's now spilled over into a fairly large section of East Hartford, Southern parts of Windsor and Bloomfield as well. Even Manchester is changing a little quicker than I care to admit.

The "cancer" is spreading, not shrinking.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
The "cancer" is spreading, not shrinking.
Maybe in the Hartford area, but in New Haven and Bridgeport, it's really confined to a few neighborhoods. Downtown New Haven has recently seen its share of violence, but that's also confined to one club that attracts the clientele who live in the dangerous neighborhoods.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Maybe in the Hartford area, but in New Haven and Bridgeport, it's really confined to a few neighborhoods. Downtown New Haven has recently seen its share of violence, but that's also confined to one club that attracts the clientele who live in the dangerous neighborhoods.
I guess in Hartford, there really are only 3 neighborhoods - North, South, West, and two are bad so maybe that's why it seems like it's most of the city.

As for the "cancer" I'm sure I'll get some heat for saying this - even though it's just reality but, it was more of the "ghetto" factor spreading out. More run down buildings, dirty streets, property going into disrepair...people who just don't give a flip. Not so much gunshots ringing out.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:28 AM

Quote:
As for the "cancer" I'm sure I'll get some heat for saying this - even though it's just reality but, it was more of the "ghetto" factor spreading out. More run down buildings, dirty streets, property going into disrepair...people who just don't give a flip. Not so much gunshots ringing out.
Yeah, that's the problem. Either these areas are the byproduct of the broken window theory, or they're cleaned up and turned into luxury housing that's very expensive. Once again, nothing for the middle class.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's the problem. Either these areas are the byproduct of the broken window theory, or they're cleaned up and turned into luxury housing that's very expensive. Once again, nothing for the middle class.
Agreed...and at least around here, all the higher density new subdivisions being built with nice 1500-2000sf homes that are "more affordable" are 55+ communities.

The towns go out of their way to approve them, because the town can still collect property taxes but not have the education liability young families bring with them. Because something like this would not be perfect for a family like ours. http://www.ansaldiconstruction.com/a...lt_housing.htm I don't need a Mcmansion, don't want one.

Thanks guys.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Agreed...and at least around here, all the higher density new subdivisions being built with nice 1500-2000sf homes that are "more affordable" are 55+ communities.

The towns go out of their way to approve them, because the town can still collect property taxes but not have the education liability young families bring with them. Because something like this would not be perfect for a family like ours. The Andrew Ansaldi Co. - Active Adult Housing I don't need a Mcmansion, don't want one.

Thanks guys.
Exactly.

Where my parents live in Oxford, they approve 55+ community after 55+ community and allow the construction of 4,000-5,000 SF homes on cliffs, but when a contractor comes in and wants to build a condo and detached home complex that will be designated "affordable" (1), people start screaming about drainage issues, traffic, school overcrowding, etc. One town employee even went so far as to put a flyer in the mailbox with photos of Derby, saying "do we want to turn into this?"

Connecticut at its finest.

(1) $200k and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut