Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 08:50 PM

83,550 posts, read 75,428,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
We are hoping to relocate to CT in 2012. We just sold one of our cars and are going to be purchasing another one.

We live in So. Calif so don't really think about the type of car we get as far as the weather is concerned. Here the only thing we have to think about is the way the car looks, and possibly fuel economy. I was just wondering if there is a specific car that does better in the snow. Do we need 4 wheel drive, or not? We are buying used and want something that will last for awhile.

Just curious as to what people in CT look for when buying a car.
Here you go. Hope this helps. Best Cars For Snow - Forbes.com

Tires IMO are 40% important. Its mostly the car that matters. Period. But yes, having snowtires is obvious a plus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,421,552 times
Biggest problem with 4 wheel drive is it lets you go even when you cant stop or turn. IMO most people are wlll served with 2 wheel & good tires. This is CT not VT or ME and even in those states most people do fine with two wheel drive. The truth is that most of the time if you NEED 4 wheel drive because of snow you should probably stay home until the roads are cleared. Its pretty frustrating trying to plow & clean up during or after a storm needing to deal with people playing with their toys.
That said both our vehicles are equipped with 4 wheel drive, a Tacoma & X-terra. I need it for work and while we thought long & hard about getting my wife an Acord the X-terra won out simply because we spend aloy of time at our camp in the woods of NH & often times need both the clearence & traction to come & go up there. But even with the camp if my wife did not work at home & had to drive much she'd have a Honda.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,220,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
We are hoping to relocate to CT in 2012. We just sold one of our cars and are going to be purchasing another one.

We live in So. Calif so don't really think about the type of car we get as far as the weather is concerned. Here the only thing we have to think about is the way the car looks, and possibly fuel economy. I was just wondering if there is a specific car that does better in the snow. Do we need 4 wheel drive, or not? We are buying used and want something that will last for awhile.

Just curious as to what people in CT look for when buying a car.
Lots depends on where you plan to live. I have front wheel drive vehicles and do fine. If I lived further out, I might have 4 wheel drive. I'm actually considering one after THIS winter-my Chevy Cavalier is good in snow, but the snow was so much that it just dragged the little car all over But, usually just front-wheel drive is good enough in regular snow.

If your job is one where you HAVE to be to work in all conditions, I'd go for 4 wheel.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:07 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,854,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I agree with the "traction and reliability" but not the gas mileage. Subarus (and most AWD SUV/Crossovers) are not know for their stellar mileage.

An outback is in the high teens city and mid 20's highway..usually 20-22mpg combined.
Our 2010 Subaru Legacy CVT/auto 4 cyl gets 30-33 highway (all season tires) and 22-25 'suburban', a mix of in town and between towns, on regular gas with 4 snow tires. The car goes and stays on the road very well. IMO, not quite as well as my older Audi stick w 4 snows (20-22 mpg suburban), but both are safe and a joy to drive when the going is tough. I live in fringe areas with very tough approach roads and driveway, not only steep but with sharp turns. For us AWD is not a choice but a requirement. In mid winter, our FWD car sits in the garage and I no longer mount snows.

I agree about the great importance of tires (I would never be without 4 snows in the Northeast if I planned to drive a lot), and also WHERE you drive (even this year, Greenwich is a lot different than Litchfield) and WHEN you drive (follow the snowplow or break the trail) relative to snowfall matters a lot.

In many cases it isn't just getting there but getting there comfortably and in control vs. white knuckled slipping and sliding at any speed. It is all about degrees and choices.

PS: the OP and others can find many similar discussions and thread on most any Northeast or Northern and of course the automobile forum here. This discussion comes up a a lot.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:11 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,863,060 times
Unless you need clearance, a Subaru is an excellent choice for all weather driving and fuel mileage.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:55 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,925,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Unless you need clearance, a Subaru is an excellent choice for all weather driving and fuel mileage.
Agreed. I get 32 mpg on the highway every week for the last 6 years with my Impreza. Even with 150,000 miles on her, she runs flawless.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,854,748 times
Quote:
Agreed. The new Legacy is pretty low, maybe 6" at most. It is not a good snowplow. (This isn't a commercial...but) it is a nicely priced all around family sedan. Base CVT-4 has decent but unexciting performance with VG mileage for AWD.

If you opt for the Turbo or 6 cyl while performance improves, mileage suffers. As always, life is full of choices

PS...the new Outback is similar but with a wagon like body and better road clearance. Drive trains are the same as Legacy sedan IIRC. These are a cross over type vehicle that some will find a good alternative to more classic SUV.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,017,446 times
Quote:
I believe the new Outback has 8.7" of clearance. More than many truck based SUV's of the past.

But lets get real. If you are driving in more than 8 inches of standing snow on the road, it's either a freak thing you got caught up in or you should own a 4x4 because you are out with the snowplows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Agreed. The new Legacy is pretty low, maybe 6" at most. It is not a good snowplow. (This isn't a commercial...but) it is a nicely priced all around family sedan. Base CVT-4 has decent but unexciting performance with VG mileage for AWD.

If you opt for the Turbo or 6 cyl while performance improves, mileage suffers. As always, life is full of choices

PS...the new Outback is similar but with a wagon like body and better road clearance. Drive trains are the same as Legacy sedan IIRC. These are a cross over type vehicle that some will find a good alternative to more classic SUV.
Wow, you guys are getting some good mileage out of the base models. The EPA estimates I've seen are much lower.

Subies are good cars. Not my particular taste, but good non the less and I respect them.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:34 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,426,761 times
I have the new Outback and LOVE it. Smaller than an SUV (I'm pulling 30/mpg on average) but big enough to haul lots of gear and fit 5 adults comfortably.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:44 AM

194 posts, read 1,203,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Here is a FWD car showing how well a set of snows perform going up a steep road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9H55VX-Lec
You still have a valid point but, that is an Audi A4 with QUATTRO all-wheel drive not a front wheel drive car but one with one of the best AWD systems ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut