Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 01:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,843 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking for a way, using public transportation, to get from Boston to Sharon. I was thinking about taking Peter Pan to Waterbury or another nearby town and then maybe taking a local bus to Sharon? Is that possible? If so, what town should I go to first?

Thanks, everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 06:22 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,693,459 times
you might be better off if you could take PP all the way to Danbury. Sharon is in the northwest corner of CT right on the NY border which i don't think is easily accessible from Waterbury. Danbury on the other hand is directly south of Sharon using Rt 7 but even then, not sure there is any public transportation that covers that route. you could try these services..

HART
CTTransit

Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Once you get to Danbury, this is about your only option unless you hire a cab:

Old 03-05-2011, 12:58 PM

8 posts, read 51,004 times
There is no public transport to Sharon that I know of (I live in the area). It is very rural. Your best be might be to rent a car if you can. There is a Peter Pan bus that runs from Hartford to Canaan, CT, which is about 15 miles north of Sharon. You might be able to take a cab from Canaan to Sharon.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 3,460 times
I researched this a few months ago and it is confusing, so I am pasting the data here just for the public record and for posterity.

You can get to Canaan CT (25 mins from Sharon) on busses from Port Authority in NYC, from Torrington, Ct, from Lee, MA / Lenox, MA, from Danbury, CT, and from other points on these lines.

The most elegant is to go from Boston to Lee, MA / Lenox, MA and then take the bus south to Canaan.
Not all routes have sufficiently good connections to consider though.

So it may be better sometimes to take a local bus that goes from Lee, MA / Lenox, MA to Sheffield, MA, which is 34 minutes from Sharon, so Sheffield, MA is an alternate to Canaan, CT as the closest dropoff point. The Scheffield option bus schedule was here: http://www.berkshirerta.com/PDF/BRTA-Poster1.pdf

In my notes there is something about changing at the Prime Outlets bus stop for plans where you go from Lee, MA / Lenox, MA south, but I suspect this is only for the Scheffield trip and not the Canaan trip.

The bus schedules are frustrating because you have to check Peter Pan, Bonanza Bus, and Greyhound websites and it helps if you can visualize the entire line that you would be traveling a segment on and these sites can be flaky in providing the full picture. In addition, you may need to check berkshirerta.com.

Lee, MA and Lenox, MA are different bus stops but I grouped them together in this data because sometimes you have to interchange at one or the other, or both.

One of the routes to know about is this, which went in both directions.

BZ 0710

TORRINGTON, CT
WINSTED, CT
CANAAN, CT
SHEFFIELD, MA
G BARRINGTON, MA
STOCKBRIDGE, MA
LEE, MA
LENOX, MA
PITTSFIELD, MA
WILLIAMSTOWN, MA

Some busses from Boston to Danbury were tedious and so best avoided because they take 4 hours from Boston and involve a change at Hartford.

I don't seem to have the sequence of stops for the bus from Danbury, CT to Canaan.

Lastly, the closest possible to Sharon would be to take the train to Wasaic (sp?) train station up from NYC.

Also, in the summer months, there can be special seasonal transportation to the Berkshires from NYC that theoretically could be useful.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:48 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Depending on time I like the Route 7 up to the Mohawk Trail (Route 2) to 495 to Route 90.

However, easier, less travel, less time (Possibly)...Is Route 7 to I90 (Mass Turnpike) Tolls once on I90 straight shot in.

If want to use public transport I mean closest would be probably Great Barrington Ma, can catch Peter Pan services up that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut