Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 05:21 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times

Advertisements

Finished Cost - Aidomes.com - Domes from American Ingenuity

2000 sq 40' dome home- $34,000

Just saying.hmmm if the wife wants CT, and wants a big new home , then maybe you need to sacrifice the charming new England style to the homes.

Can you subdivide the plot your on? Sell the old house and move in a dome?

The good thing about domes are layout inside .... Totally customizable....maybe choose a 360 fireplace pit in the center???
Only draw back... Exterior walls not good cabinet runs.. Too curved

Dont you have contacts from your extreme makeover week that can help you rush a kit build?

Old 03-10-2011, 05:57 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
JV- here's a couple out in the "back-asswards" region of Eastern CT...

G568728- lake rights to Red Cedar Lake
G582979
G579825

Just a few...I cant see these pics, my browser on my new fangled computer here at work is out of date!

Old 03-10-2011, 06:24 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Good luck with your search. Theres alot of constructive responses. Me, I keep coming around to asking WHY whats possible other places isn't here. Seems like instead of telling people they need to leave to find what you are looking for we should be telling our legislature we need them to bring us in line with those places. I mean, if one state or town or city can get by at those levels I cant see why we cant.

Its possible here JV, we just need to stop acting like its not & holding our civil servants responsible for being irresponsible. The answer is not us making more money, its them spending less. But I think you know that.
I agree. CT stopped dead in it's tracks after the late 80's crash, and did many of the things it's proposing now. In the face of a much lighter recession, CT raised taxes and increased government. The results were devistating. I'm afraid to see what this round of repeated history is going to bring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
honestly i dont think your going to find everything you are looking for in a home in any areas of connecticut...

you might get lucky in maine or newyork, but i think heading south would be your best bet.

TN, mabe NC or FL.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I think you could do it in Pennsylvania, but you don't get surf. And for the economics to work, you'd have to be a little further from a big city than you want.
Pennsyltucky is a strange state like that. Kind of brackish. Conservative, but not really, expensive but not really etc. I really like the area around Lancaster and Maple Grove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Finished Cost - Aidomes.com - Domes from American Ingenuity

2000 sq 40' dome home- $34,000

Just saying.hmmm if the wife wants CT, and wants a big new home , then maybe you need to sacrifice the charming new England style to the homes.

Can you subdivide the plot your on? Sell the old house and move in a dome?

The good thing about domes are layout inside .... Totally customizable....maybe choose a 360 fireplace pit in the center???
Only draw back... Exterior walls not good cabinet runs.. Too curved

Dont you have contacts from your extreme makeover week that can help you rush a kit build?
Here's the problem. The town won't allow those kinds of things. Our original plan was to purchase 3-5 acres in "ass-backwards" Eastern CT, put up a nice modular home "for now" which would have gotten us around the 150K mark. Then over time we would build our "forever house" on the property, and either rent out or sell the modular home.

However, every town we talked too said "nope sorry, can't do it". Even in "redneck" Lebanon.

That's some of that "good planning and zoning" that gets tossed around this forum so often. There is also the issue with lenders. Things have tightened considerably and banks are not giving construction loans unless you have a GC. My FIL who built three homes, could pay cash if he wanted too, and is the director of public works in a small city, was told "not without a GC" by the bank. So he just had a friend sign off as the GC, but still that's the climate for lending out there.

And just for clearification, the wife doesn't want a big new home. It's not like that at all. She'd be perfectly fine in a small home. I dont' want another old home because I'm tired of dumping 40-50K into it to bring it up to date. I don't think a 3 bed 1600sf house is "big", but maybe I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
JV- here's a couple out in the "back-asswards" region of Eastern CT...

G568728- lake rights to Red Cedar Lake
G582979
G579825

Just a few...I cant see these pics, my browser on my new fangled computer here at work is out of date!
LOL I'll check them out, thanks for that.

Last edited by JViello; 03-10-2011 at 06:33 AM..

Old 03-10-2011, 06:58 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
JVIELLO : Well,where is it ? Back on page six, you said you'd found a place that met your requirements but you wanted to see if it was remotely possible here in CT . Come on, tell us where this is.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
JVIELLO : Well,where is it ? Back on page six, you said you'd found a place that met your requirements but you wanted to see if it was remotely possible here in CT . Come on, tell us where this is.
Not until I have a deposit on a house! It's an area on clearance right now because a pile of houses got left in the hands of developers after the crash. The area is fine, growing, new shopping centers being built, schools, civic projects etc...the inventory just needs to be "depleted" and it is getting there. The homes are selling well as more and more people find them.

It is in the state of Florida, that's all I'll say.

It's near the ocean, but not on it - no flood zone or high insurance.
No HOA which is fine with me.
Populated but not congested with plenty of room for expansion.
Best performing schools in the state
Acess to a major city in about an hour
Access to two smaller cities with lots of history and cultural opportunities in 20 minutes one way and 35 the other.
Access to gorgeous beach and water in 20 minutes.
Borders one of the largest state forests with trails, camping etc.

Not bad. I'm going back in a couple weeks for a final poke around. (As I've mentioned, I used to live in Florida and I've been to this region many times...just not "here" specifically.)

Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 AM

547 posts, read 775,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Not until I have a deposit on a house! It's an area on clearance right now because a pile of houses got left in the hands of developers after the crash. The area is fine, growing, new shopping centers being built, schools, civic projects etc...the inventory just needs to be "depleted" and it is getting there. The homes are selling well as more and more people find them.

It is in the state of Florida, that's all I'll say.

It's near the ocean, but not on it - no flood zone or high insurance.
No HOA which is fine with me.
Populated but not congested with plenty of room for expansion.
Best performing schools in the state
Acess to a major city in about an hour
Access to two smaller cities with lots of history and cultural opportunities in 20 minutes one way and 35 the other.
Access to gorgeous beach and water in 20 minutes.
Borders one of the largest state forests with trails, camping etc.

Not bad. I'm going back in a couple weeks for a final poke around. (As I've mentioned, I used to live in Florida and I've been to this region many times...just not "here" specifically.)
So it's not in CT? I thought this thread was about trying to find that type of housing in CT and everyone was telling you it's not possible here...

Old 03-10-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
So it's not in CT? I thought this thread was about trying to find that type of housing in CT and everyone was telling you it's not possible here...
Huh? I found what meets this criteria elsewhere, but wanted to see if I was missing something in CT and if it was possible.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:38 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post

Why isn't it possible here is the important question. I mean do we really WANT people who work & live here to leave so they can live comfortably?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Here's the problem. The town won't allow those kinds of things. Our original plan was to purchase 3-5 acres in "ass-backwards" Eastern CT, put up a nice modular home "for now" which would have gotten us around the 150K mark. Then over time we would build our "forever house" on the property, and either rent out or sell the modular home.

However, every town we talked too said "nope sorry, can't do it". Even in "redneck" Lebanon.

That's some of that "good planning and zoning" that gets tossed around this forum so often.
If you bought a large parcel of land and built a house on it and then later went to subdivide it, as long as the two lots meet the zoning requirements and were able to support a well and septic, they can not stop you. I am not sure what you looked into in Lebanon but this kind of thing happens all the time.

I am suprised you are going to Florida because in past posts you said you hated it there. If I was going to guess I would say St. John's County since they have some of the best schools in the state. It would probably be the only area of FL I would consider but then again I hate FL so it does not matter. Jay

Old 03-10-2011, 10:52 AM

547 posts, read 775,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Why isn't it possible here is the important question. I mean do we really WANT people who work & live here to leave so they can live comfortably?
That is what I'm contemplating now...I have a decent job but could be getting an offer to work down in NC. I'm starting a family soon so it maybe a good choice so we can live comfortably there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut