Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 05:40 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
The problem with the left today IMHO is that the radical progressives have taken hold and hijacked the party. I would agree more with the traditional liberal than not.
You don't think this has happened with the right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,020 times
Quote:
Oh, I don't disagree. What was done to the Tuskegee Airmen was just flat out wrong on so many levels for instance.

However, you bring up one of the things I have a problem with. Plum Island was part of the containment problem issue and era. The facility has been almost laughbly run.

To have some of the worlds most deadly biological crap - not even allowed on mainland soil, being played with in the most densly populated areas in the country, in one of the oldest facilities in the country is not only irresponsible, it smacks of "you can't make it up". When you add to it conflicting government information released, I don't get the warm fuzzys or believe they are being forthright.

I think this goes beyond "left" and "right". I think it gets into ideologies. The "left" used to be truely liberal...almost what can be considered libertarian. Leave me alone, I'll leave you alone, live free, government out of my life "man". You know.

The problem with the left today IMHO is that the radical progressives have taken hold and hijacked the party. I would agree more with the traditional liberal than not. You should listen to Ron Paul a little closer and I think you'll find he's saying something very similar to what you wrote above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt5fK...layer_embedded
I like Ron Paul, but I disagree with him on the part where he states Libya did nothing to us. West german disco? Lockerbie Scotland jet blown out of sky? These things alone IMHO justify waves of B52's dropping JDAMS right on top of his head. Time for a little payback.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:28 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
You don't think this has happened with the right?
YES! That's my point, it's ideology not party or "side". There are elements that want more government control on both sides, granted for different reasons.

Seriously, take this test and see where you are. It's only 10 questions.

Nolan Chart Survey

I was on the edge of anarchy. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I like Ron Paul, but I disagree with him on the part where he states Libya did nothing to us. West german disco? Lockerbie Scotland jet blown out of sky? These things alone IMHO justify waves of B52's dropping JDAMS right on top of his head. Time for a little payback.
I hear you...trust me, I hear you. But, how would we feel if a wack job group from the US did some acts of terrorism and China decided to rain hellfire on us for it. Instituting a no fly zone is an act of war against a country. Can we REALLY afford to be at war with a quarter of the world? (And I don't mean $)

Old 03-16-2011, 05:23 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Nolan Chart Survey

I'm a centrist, with my 'star' located in the lower right going toward conservative and statist. I'm not sure I even know what a statist is. LOL

Old 03-16-2011, 05:43 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Interesting Test. I'll have to let my Dad take it. He's a Political Science / Economics Professor for past 40+ yrs who lovvees government.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:48 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,020 times
Quote:
YES! That's my point, it's ideology not party or "side". There are elements that want more government control on both sides, granted for different reasons.

Seriously, take this test and see where you are. It's only 10 questions.

Nolan Chart Survey

I hear you...trust me, I hear you. But, how would we feel if a wack job group from the US did some acts of terrorism and China decided to rain hellfire on us for it. Instituting a no fly zone is an act of war against a country. Can we REALLY afford to be at war with a quarter of the world? (And I don't mean $)
Sorry for getting OT, but the difference there was that the Libyan govt actively supported and enabled the acts of terror around the world. We dont. (although some here would probably disagree...)

Old 03-16-2011, 06:06 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,002,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm a centrist, with my 'star' located in the lower right going toward conservative and statist. I'm not sure I even know what a statist is. LOL
LOL Look at it this way. Top to bottom are the two extremes of "No government control, and full government control." Left and right are how that government looks.

A conservative can still wish for government control as much as a liberal. For instance, the question about gay marriage.

Conseratives might say the state should outlaw it.
Liberals might say the state should allow it.
A Libertarian would say "what the hell business is it of the state to marry people?"
A statist would say "the state should force people to marry for the betterment of society".

I was dead center left to right but up near the top. So basically I'm a centrist who believes in very small government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Sorry for getting OT, but the difference there was that the Libyan govt actively supported and enabled the acts of terror around the world. We dont. (although some here would probably disagree...)
Oh I don't disagree. But we can't carpet bomb every country that pulls something like this. I think we can do things "covert" physically and politically and be just as effective. Some rangers dropping in on Kadafi for dinner and then slipping out is fine with me.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:28 AM

323 posts, read 633,955 times
Scary stuff. I wish humanity would just learn to leave other people alone to live as they wish. What's scary about these technologies today is the speed at which they can travel around the globe. At least in the past (pre-nuclear) things were not able to get around so quickly. But now, the power and speed at which they can be used is frightening. Sometimes I think to myself, is someone trying to destroy us? What else could be the answer. Henry Kissinger did call the majority of Earth's population parasitic eating machines, or something like this.

Love Ron Paul, by the way. And another good book, Michael Crichton's "State of Fear", talks about how government uses technologies to create fear, to gain control and makes gobs of money. He died recently and I thought it was strange how it was no big deal in the media. He did give talks about how he thought global warming was garbage. He was a huge star, after all, author, created TV shows, movies, etc... But he just slipped away, hardly noticed. The media downplays what it doesn't want us to pay attention to. Thank God for the internet.

Now for some real conspiracy stuff, look up how the US government is going to tell us that there are aliens attacking us to gain global control. Ever notice all the alien movies and TV shows for kids? This is crazy.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 AM

323 posts, read 633,955 times
About Kadahfi, (spelling?), if you research it on the internet, (I know you can't believe everything you read) BUT there are those in Scotland who said the case was a sham. That's why "the bomber" was let go, and that's why they lied about him having cancer, to cover up their screwup. It had nothing to do with oil. I think China's in there already.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,269,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat456 View Post
The media downplays what it doesn't want us to pay attention to. Thank God for the internet.

Now for some real conspiracy stuff, look up how the US government is going to tell us that there are aliens attacking us to gain global control. Ever notice all the alien movies and TV shows for kids? This is crazy.
B.I.N.G.O

Been saying this for quite some time now.... It's all about awareness without direct panic. How about Mark Walburg "The Happening"... intestingly a "wind" carrying "chemicals" in the air. New one Apollo18 looks good.

There are people who believe in coincidences (tunnel vision) and there are those who believe in reasons and signs (open minds). I know one thing,... I hate tunnels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut