Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
there were local stores in the New London area called Grant's and Kresge's when i was a kid. not sure if they were chains.

as far as the list, i included only those that i visited/knew of..

Bradlees - formerly Two Guys of the old New London mall (wow, that was a long time ago)
Caldor's - Norwich, Groton and Branford and probably every other town in CT
Lechmere - first saw them up in Natick Mass. in CT, Universal Dr in North Haven
Ames - Norwich
Bernie's - Waterford
Finast - New London (in plaza where Burlington Coat Factory is now)
AP - Waterford
Shaw's - Newington. now a Stop & Shop
Roy Rogers - Vernon. the one time I went there, didn't like it
Ground Round - Branford and Groton
I remember Lechmere in Milford. We got Earthbound and also I think Chrono Trigger in their video games department. I still own Earthbound, I could probably make a lot of money selling it, but it's not like I have the original box and strategy guide that came with it, and it's nowhere near in mint condition, so probably not a /real/ lot.

I vaguely remember Shaw's, but don't really remember much about what they sold or anything, maybe it was where my dad went shopping and I was with my mom more. I do remember the old style Stop and Shops though. We always got a cookie from the bakery department in front. Didn't they also have video rentals for a while near where the deposit machines are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 01:39 PM

879 posts, read 1,660,007 times
Earthbound! I loved that game and the booklet it came with! One of my favorite games.

Shaw's was more or less like Stop and Shop in terms of what it carried.

Old 12-20-2023, 03:57 PM

21,737 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclough59 View Post
I remember Lechmere in Milford. We got Earthbound and also I think Chrono Trigger in their video games department. I still own Earthbound, I could probably make a lot of money selling it, but it's not like I have the original box and strategy guide that came with it, and it's nowhere near in mint condition, so probably not a /real/ lot.

I vaguely remember Shaw's, but don't really remember much about what they sold or anything, maybe it was where my dad went shopping and I was with my mom more. I do remember the old style Stop and Shops though. We always got a cookie from the bakery department in front. Didn't they also have video rentals for a while near where the deposit machines are?
I mean. Enough!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33516827625...oAAOSwc8llaPIr

Old 12-29-2023, 04:11 AM

281 posts, read 345,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
Nobody mentioned Crazy Eddie's in Bridgeport? The man's prices were INSANE as was his future legal troubles.

Wasn't that in Brookside shopping center? And not long, from what I recall.

Old 12-29-2023, 11:06 AM

205 posts, read 162,297 times
Shaw’s came into the market in the mid-90’s and started out by building new locations from the ground up. The few I remember being built:

New Britain: West Main St. Now an indoor storage facility
Bristol: Route 6. Became a Walmart Neighborhood Market. Now vacant.
Newington: Kitts Lane. Now Stop & Shop.
Wallingford: Route 5. Now Shop Rite
Vernon: Route 83. Now Stop & Shop
Manchester: Broad St. Now Ollie’s Bargain Outlet I believe.

A few more opened as the result of the Stop & Shop/Edwards merger, including Southington (now Shop Rite) and West Hartford (became Shop Rite, now a flooring store).

Old 12-31-2023, 07:41 AM

210 posts, read 262,342 times
Service Merchandise

Old 12-31-2023, 01:52 PM

34,024 posts, read 17,050,952 times
H.B. Davis at the Connecticut Post about 40-50 years ago

Old 01-01-2024, 04:36 AM

281 posts, read 345,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diydesign View Post
Service Merchandise

Danbury? Parents bought my first guitar as a 12th birthday gift there. Cheap acoustic, and I loved it.

Old 01-02-2024, 08:59 AM

1,088 posts, read 579,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1615 View Post
Nobody mentioned Crazy Eddie's in Bridgeport? The man's prices were INSANE as was his future legal troubles.
He came up in a recent discussion, which led to our finding a video on YouTube of one of his famous commercials.

Old 01-02-2024, 09:00 AM

1,088 posts, read 579,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Nutmegger View Post
Shaw’s came into the market in the mid-90’s and started out by building new locations from the ground up.
There was one in Orange as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut