Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:57 PM

41 posts, read 108,836 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to the Hartford area in a few months. I noticed that The Hartford in downtown Hartford has many job openings. However, the surrounding area of their offices looks somewhat off-putting. Does anyone work there who can give me more information on how it is to work there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 08:13 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
It's ok, they have triple-barb wire topped fence around their parking lots, and they have security patrols too-it's all fenced and gated. I think your car would be fine.

It's an, um, interesting area...but the place itself is secure.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:17 PM

162 posts, read 849,312 times
Default forum

Hi,

My husband and I live in East Hartford CT - and have been past The Hartford insurance co. in Hartford several times. I knew 2 people who worked there for quite awhile also. We have only heard good things about working at The Hartford. I would think as long as you leave at rush hour with others you'd be fine. I think, as the person mentioned above, there is security etc. Overall, yes, I would be careful at night as I would anywhere in Hartford or in any city. It's not far from the train station - I would be concerned around there at night. Hope this helps some.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:35 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Oh for crying out loud people...it's not THAT bad.

Sorry, but come on. You see some black people and a poorer neighborhood and think they are automatically out to steal, kill and mame.

Is there a bit more risk in that environment? Sure, but lets get real here...we are talking about a small area of Hartford that's typical "inner city" and hardly as bad as many metros out there. I happen to know a family on Baldwin avenue as well and they are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

I drive through the North end every single day and at times stop off at Scott's Jamacian bakery or a Latin take out place or take a side street to avoid traffic or stop a small store for coke or whatever...I'm on a motorcycle most times too, so It's not like I'm locked inside my car. You might be surprised to find if you say hello and smile, "they" say hello and smile back.

Just a little reality check here...

Old 06-08-2007, 06:57 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
JViello is right, it is not that bad there. You have to be a little careful at night as you should be anywhere, even in the suburbs (more incidents probably happen at West Farms than happen at the Hartford).

Asylum Avenue is a well traveled street. I have a friend who lived in the apartments right across from there and he NEVER had a problem. He liked being able to walk downtown and did so often. Nothing happened to him. he would have stayed but he was ready to buy something and at the time there were few condos in the area.

I know people who work there and really like it a lot. At lunchtime they walk over to Bushnell Park and after work head downtown for drinks or dinner or use the Y. It is a very nice area, not as bad as any of the other posts make out. GET A GRIP PEOPLE. Jay

Old 06-08-2007, 09:23 AM

44 posts, read 325,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I drive through the North end every single day and at times stop off at Scott's Jamacian bakery .......

Scott's was one of my spots to grab a bite to eat when I worked in Hartford. There are so many great places to eat in that city. Tons of places on Albany ave, Franklin ave, and Park street. I'm hungry now just thinking about it

Old 06-09-2007, 01:04 AM
sun

683 posts, read 2,124,602 times
Some years ago I heard that The Hartford had a lot of glass ceilings, particularly on the upper floors.
I don't know if they still exist or not though.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:39 PM

I know a woman who is a Vice President there. I do not htinnk she had any problems getting there. Jay

Old 08-01-2007, 07:16 PM

24 posts, read 101,304 times
I am looking at a job offer at the Hartford but the Simsbury location. I am married with two children 13 and 11. Any advice on where to buy a house? I'm from the south and this will be an exciting yet very new experience.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:36 AM

Since you are looking at jobs in Simsbury, I would suggest looking in the famington River Valley towns like Simsbury, Avon, Farmington or Granby. All are excellent towns with excellent schools and great amenities including parks, shopping, restaurants and entertainment. The area is really beautiful and considered to be one of the most desireable suburbs in the region. Anothe option would be Canton.

From your other post, you were concerned about housing costs and taxes. Very nice homes in the valley can be had for around $300k. Not sure how that fits into your budget. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut