Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 AM

15 posts, read 70,249 times

Advertisements

When I lived out west, there was a farm that would deliver a box of seasonal fruits and veggies once or twice a month to your doorstep for $20. You got the food, emptied the box, put it outside your front door, they'd come back for the box, refill, etc etc. Are there any farms/markets in Norwalk that offer the same service?

Other than that, what are the best places to shop for food? Best quality and service, selection, and price?

What are some local businesses to stay away from? Anything notorious for bad customer service?

What neighborhoods are less safe? Which are the most pleasant?

Any excellent thrift/2nd hand stores worth visiting?

Lastly, we need furniture. Any recommendations for what stores to visit in the area that offer a decent selection for very cheap?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 08:15 AM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatashaZ View Post
When I lived out west, there was a farm that would deliver a box of seasonal fruits and veggies once or twice a month to your doorstep for $20. You got the food, emptied the box, put it outside your front door, they'd come back for the box, refill, etc etc. Are there any farms/markets in Norwalk that offer the same service?

Other than that, what are the best places to shop for food? Best quality and service, selection, and price?

What are some local businesses to stay away from? Anything notorious for bad customer service?

What neighborhoods are less safe? Which are the most pleasant?

Any excellent thrift/2nd hand stores worth visiting?

Lastly, we need furniture. Any recommendations for what stores to visit in the area that offer a decent selection for very cheap?
1. The only place I know that does a weekly produce selection is Robert Treat Farm in Milford. I don't know if they deliver, scroll down: Robert Treat Farm. Authentic Family Farm Market and Garden Center. Milford Connecticut (http://www.roberttreatfarm.com/OurFarm.html - broken link)
2. Depends on what you want. Whole Foods in Westport on the Norwalk border, or Trader Joe's in Westport are good. Fresh Market in Westport also isn't bad. There are major grocery stores in Norwalk. The Shop Rite has a good ethnic selection. I don't think there's a Big Y in the area, I was a fan of them when I lived near Bethel. Balducci's in Westport and Villa Gourmet in Milford are 2 "gourmet" shops. Villarina's in Westport for fresh pasta and Italian supplies.
3. I know that if you go to Chocopologie for lunch, you'll wait half your life to be served.
4. Stay away from the area around and south of the South Norwalk Train Station. That's generally the worst neighborhood. Around the hospital can be a little dumpy too. The best neighborhoods are probably West Norwalk, Rowayton and the Cranbury area. East Norwalk and the northern section near New Canaan and Wilton have some really nice area.
5. Not sure of thrift stores other than Goodwill. New Haven has some really cool thrift stores.
6. Ikea in New Haven. Nuff said.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
You should check out Stew Leonards which is an interesting large scale dairy/meat/produce/specialty food store in Norwalk. It is not necessarily cheap but it is generally good quality for the price. Plus it can be a fun trip. The major supermarkets in Connecticut are Stop & Shop and Shoprite. They both have stores in Norwalk. Also note that Stop & Shop offers a delivery service called Peapod which is pretty good. Not sure if Shoprite offers this too since these are independently operated.

IKEA in New Haven is good but there is also Bob's Furniture which is a discount furniture store chain in Connecticut and now the northeast. Some of their furniture is okay and some is cheap and their delivery service is not as great as they claim but it is an option. Jay

Old 04-18-2011, 08:53 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
IKEA is okay - just get ready to spend a few hours putting it together. As for Bob's, their furniture is a little shoddy IMO.

I'd suggest you make the trek up to Milford and check out Pilgrim. Good quality and decent prices.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:43 AM

Bob's is hit or miss. The 2 sofa's I've bought from them have been excellent, and their Bob-O-Pedic mattresses are great. They don't actually make any furniture, it's from many different sources.

My friend's dad works in the fabric industry and recognized the brand of one of the sofa's and said it was a good quality product. German brand, don't recall the name at the moment. Began with a K.

Either way, Pilgrim is also good, but a bit more expensive than Bob's. A good trip would be Milford/Orange on Route 1, there are tons of furniture stores along that road.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
4. Stay away from the area around and south of the South Norwalk Train Station. That's generally the worst neighborhood. Around the hospital can be a little dumpy too. The best neighborhoods are probably West Norwalk, Rowayton and the Cranbury area. East Norwalk and the northern section near New Canaan and Wilton have some really nice area.
I will add the Silvermine area of Norwalk as one of the best areas, too.

As for furniture, we've never had anything from Bob's that lasted more than a year. I think it's just a matter of getting lucky with them.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I will add the Silvermine area of Norwalk as one of the best areas, too.
Yep, nice area.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:48 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Norwalk (Silvermine) CT Real Estate Listings: 154 SILVERMINE AVE (MLS # 98500550)

Would this be considered the Silvermine area?

Old 06-19-2011, 11:42 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

Yup.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:25 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,712,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Yup.
So would it safe to assume that the popular verdict is that the area is nice, lot of attractions, very crime free and peaceful?

If I look to buy in this area, it could screw up my commute to the city though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut