Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:11 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times

Advertisements

Bristol vs Manchester is a tough call. If I had to make the call I think it would depend on where my job is. For example, if I worked in Litchfield county, Bristol would be a good choice. I always considered Bristol the entry point to Litchfield county, even though its not in that county.

Maybe it goes back to my childhood when we would traval on Rt 72 thru Bristol and that reservoir area. ( when you come out it meets up with RT4) Another thing I remember about Bristol is when I was in New Britain High School and we would go out to do the typical things teenagers do. The hottest girls were always from Bristol. Must be something in the water.

The worst thing about Bristol though is there is no easy way in or out (as others have said) Perhaps there's a way to meet up with I-691 Bristol ? I know you can from Southington. Also, perhaps people have forgotten, but there is a lot of shopping to be had on Rt 6 in Bristol.

In regards to Manchester they have cleaned up Main St within the last 15 yrs, but IMO Manchester is devolving. And by that I mean the quality of the residents. More thugs seem to be invading Manchester than Bristol.

As for shopping I don't take that into consideration because I don't shop. The only shopping important to me is grocery shopping. Having a grocery store close by would be a plus for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:52 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
It isn't just shopping, Manchester has a state-of-the-art movie theater as well as a number of good restaurants and bars. I can't think of one place in Bristol I would go out of my way to eat at. Probably the only thing they have there that Manchester does not have is Lake Compounce and that I rarely go to. Jay

Old 06-24-2011, 02:53 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It isn't just shopping, Manchester has a state-of-the-art movie theater as well as a number of good restaurants and bars. I can't think of one place in Bristol I would go out of my way to eat at. Probably the only thing they have there that Manchester does not have is Lake Compounce and that I rarely go to. Jay
None of those things impact my decision on choosing a town to live in. Ever since I moved to Middletown 7 months ago, I only went to maybe one restaurant that is unique to Middletown. Movie theaters I maybe go to once a year. I would much rather watch a movie on Netflix or Blu-ray on my state of the art home theater system, in the comfort of my own home. Bars, I don't care about at all. And although I do enjoy going to some nice restaurants sometimes, I don't mind driving some distance to go to one.

If I'm going to move to a new town, I am more concerned about the home itself than any other factor. The home is something you will go to every single day. Other things like bars, restaurants and shopping are occasional/passive activities IMO.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:42 PM

370 posts, read 608,909 times
This might not impact your decision at the moment, but it will impact your ability to sell your Bristol home in the future. In other words, Bristol is a dump and a very depressed town that lacks amenities and attractions that would be enticing to others who are looking for a starter home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
None of those things impact my decision on choosing a town to live in. Ever since I moved to Middletown 7 months ago, I only went to maybe one restaurant that is unique to Middletown. Movie theaters I maybe go to once a year. I would much rather watch a movie on Netflix or Blu-ray on my state of the art home theater system, in the comfort of my own home. Bars, I don't care about at all. And although I do enjoy going to some nice restaurants sometimes, I don't mind driving some distance to go to one.

If I'm going to move to a new town, I am more concerned about the home itself than any other factor. The home is something you will go to every single day. Other things like bars, restaurants and shopping are occasional/passive activities IMO.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
This might not impact your decision at the moment, but it will impact your ability to sell your Bristol home in the future. In other words, Bristol is a dump and a very depressed town that lacks amenities and attractions that would be enticing to others who are looking for a starter home.
In other words, buy a house that has a better chance of selling, even if it's not quite what you really want.

Of course, resale value is important. But I would never get myself to purchase a house based on the needs and wants of others. If I'm plunking down tens of thousands of dollars on a house....oh,it had better be all about me.

I never understood why "location" has to be all about being near restaurants, shopping, entertainment and bars, etc. There are tens of millions of Americans who do not necessarily care for those things. Some of us want peace and quiet, little to no traffic and much less people.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:54 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
If you ever plan to sell that home, you would want it to appeal to the most people possible. That way it will be easier to sell in future and your chances of getting a good price will be greater You certainly could buy a home wherever you want but it are things like shopping, restaurants, movie theaters, entertainment that sets one town apart from the others. Those not interested in these things will likely choose a town that is more rural in character which sounds like what you should consider. Instead of buying in a city like Meriden, why not buy in a rural town where there would be more land? There are a number of nice less expensive towns east of the river. You might find something to your liking there. What about towns like Portland, East Hampton, Colchester, East Haddam? Jay

Old 06-25-2011, 06:23 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
I never understood why "location" has to be all about being near restaurants, shopping, entertainment and bars, etc. There are tens of millions of Americans who do not necessarily care for those things. Some of us want peace and quiet, little to no traffic and much less people.
Think about the visceral reaction you have to some towns that are discussed here.... Would you live in Bridgeport if it was a house that met your criteria? We all have certain types of communities that we're comfortable in. For me, it's Fairfield County-- Trumbull, Fairfield, Westport... From what you have posted on here, I think that Meriden, Bristol, etc, are not the best match for you, and you would quickly find yourself unhappy here. Didn't Middletown seem to be a huge upgrade from Vernon? Now your itching to leave.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:40 AM

370 posts, read 608,909 times
Quote:
In other words, buy a house that has a better chance of selling, even if it's not quite what you really want.
Have you perhaps considered a home that has a better chance to sell AND is really want you want?

Quote:
Of course, resale value is important. But I would never get myself to purchase a house based on the needs and wants of others. If I'm plunking down tens of thousands of dollars on a house....oh,it had better be all about me.
So resale must not be important if it has to be all about you?

Anyway, I'm just offering advise and being objective. After all, in your initial post you requested for our "thoughts/reactions".

Old 06-25-2011, 09:32 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
Have to agree with Jay on this ---- don't limit yourself to cities, especially cities that have little potential resale value.

Look at the small towns adjacent to and near to Middletown. There are a good number of homes under $ 180,000 in Portland, some in Middlefield, you can even find a few possibilities in Berlin. Look into Rocky Hill, Cromwell, Haddam, etc.

Resale potential is " about you" too. No one thinking about his future wants to buy into an area which will hamper your getting out of that area. This is your first home, it's likely to not be your last. You want to make sure you're not trapped by location when it's time to move on.

Home ownership is not just about the here and now- it's also about 5-10 years down the road. If you want to be a home owner that is a lesson to learn and hopefully not the hard way.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If you ever plan to sell that home, you would want it to appeal to the most people possible. That way it will be easier to sell in future and your chances of getting a good price will be greater You certainly could buy a home wherever you want but it are things like shopping, restaurants, movie theaters, entertainment that sets one town apart from the others. Those not interested in these things will likely choose a town that is more rural in character which sounds like what you should consider. Instead of buying in a city like Meriden, why not buy in a rural town where there would be more land? There are a number of nice less expensive towns east of the river. You might find something to your liking there. What about towns like Portland, East Hampton, Colchester, East Haddam? Jay
Yeah, I have looked in Portland, East Hampton, Marlborough and Bolton. The problem with those towns is that even the homes in my price range are still way too close to neighboring houses. In fact, I even looked towns further out, such as Lebanon, Bozrah, etc., and for some reason, any house under $180K is still squished between other houses, very tightly. I think that's just the nature of homes in that price range. Once in a while, I see houses on the MLS that have decent spacing between neighbors, but it's rare. I think I saw one in Chaplin, but the commute to Berlin would be god awful! I have also seen some homes in towns such as Plainfield and Killingly that offer almost precisely what I'm looking for. Of course, those towns are not commutable to Berlin, and jobs are scarce out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut