Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2015, 06:07 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,207,988 times

Advertisements

The extreme low rate of fatalities caused by bears, given their high numbers close to dense human population -- you think that is purely luck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 06:11 AM

2,918 posts, read 3,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Article said Rangers killed the second bear because he charged.

Before many armchair rangers here tell the real rangers how to handle their business, they should know more about what real-world rangers do, how they manage wildlife in proximity to people, etc.

Before you question the rangers, give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they know what they're doing and you don't.
I didn't realize that -- I must have viewed the abridged version of the video, because I don't recall seeing that. Makes sense.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:13 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengushark View Post
The woman was walking with the bear and thus, stressing the bear. The bear's heightened aggression under those circumstances is normal. .
This.

I can see who's having a hard time understanding that.

I have an idea.. if someone is showing agression on the road or in public, can we shoot them? Because they are endangering others and society.

Agression is when an uncomfortable situation happens and you seek a peaceful solution.. its a natural thing with humans and animals. Black Bears are not aggressive but some will be if they sense an uncomfortable situation such as what was portrayed with this idiot.(including the ranger who was out there with a gun and apparently the 2nd bear knew what just happened to the 1st one and sensed danger. Of course it will charge)

Bottom line and most important info in all this is what we hear to avoid this exact situation is 100% true so educate yourself and others on what to do if you encounter a Black Bear and dont do what these morons do.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
I didn't realize that -- I must have viewed the abridged version of the video, because I don't recall seeing that. Makes sense.
Yep. Citing the Courant's article:

"A second bear was killed Tuesday night as DEEP staff searched for the bear that encountered the hiker, DEEP said. It charged two wildlife division employees."

Old 09-03-2015, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This.

I have an idea.. if someone is showing agression on the road or in public, can we shoot them? Because they are endangering others and society.

Agression is when an uncomfortable situation happens and you seek a peaceful solution.. its a natural thing with humans and animals. Black Bears are not aggressive but some will be if they sense an uncomfortable situation such as what was portrayed with this idiot.(including the ranger who was out there with a gun and apparently the 2nd one knew what just happened to the 1st one)

Bottom line and most important info in all this is what we hear to avoid this exact situation is 100% true so educate yourself and others on what to do if you encounter a Black Bear and dont do what these morons do.
Rangers had already tagged that bear. So they obviously knew him. Part of the rangers' job is to train bears, really train them to stay away from people. That means plastic bullets, unpleasant experiences, intimidation, hurt. Mother bear teaches her young very early to avoid humans like the plague. This is not only for humans' sake. It is also for the bear's welfare. If a bear hurts a human -- it becomes a big deal, and usually bears lose.

Any bear that goes against this training is basically marked for death.

Keep in mind that bear population is very healthy, and their numbers have been increasing. They have no predators. So, killing one or two to keep the rest of the 700 bears safe -- it is absolutely good policy.

That's why rangers insist you do not entice, let alone feed the bears. Bears are supposed to run the opposite direction the moment you smell or hear you. That's how a bear's life (and yours) is preserved.

These two bears violated those rules, that right or wrong humans have put in place for co-existence, and not exterminating the bears.

And there is much more to it.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:36 AM

And there is the other dynamics -- single males.

Single males close to humans are usually at the bottom of bear hierarchy. The stronger bears usually occupy territory the furthest from the humans and where food sources are best, and risk is lowest.

So the weaker males are pushed towards the fringes of bear "territory" -- that means human interaction. More interaction with humans means bear fears humans less. At one point their opportunistic feeding instincts will kick in, and view humans as prey.

These two bears were textbook example of "fringe" bears. So rangers basically eliminated the weaker bears, more bound to cause a PR outrage, which would in-turn hurt the stronger bears.

So rangers' work becomes part of the bears' cycle of life. If rangers will not, it is very likely nature will trim out the weaker members anyway.

So rangers absolutely did the right thing. This is normal operating procedure.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:43 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
While I agree the bear(s) should have been put down if they were a threat to humans (and ALL humans, I'm not sure why children get brought into this as if their lives matter more than adults), the woman did not handle the situation well at all and IMO encouraged the behavior.

I still haven't seen the full video where he nuzzled her leg, but seriously, walking with him, clucking to him and saying "don't be scared"? What, did she want to pet him?

Sorry, but she would have deserved any hurt brought onto herself.

Google NPS videos, there was an article I read about "XX things NPS rangers wish you wouldn't do". Most of them involved being idiots around animals and there were some pretty incredible videos to back that up. A ranger was kicked by a horse this week trying to get it away from human food (said humans are TOLD to leave food in their car for this very reason, but they are also idiots). That ranger was trained in how to move the horses along but things just happen so quickly - and it's because people are idiots and not only feel that "it won't happen to them" but when it does, it's a rogue animal. No one takes accountability for their actions anymore.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:58 AM

62 posts, read 86,623 times
Quote:
Article said Rangers killed the second bear because he charged.

Before many armchair rangers here tell the real rangers how to handle their business, they should know more about what real-world rangers do, how they manage wildlife in proximity to people, etc.

Before you question the rangers, give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they know what they're doing and you don't.
Armchair......? I hike EVERY week, I've encounter bear, moose etc, etc, and never had issue because..... I know not to stress the animal. I know the folks of this lovely state want to be all sweet and nice support the bending over of the natural areas in favor of suburban infestation by yuppies and the kinder crap infested yards, but the animals were here first.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This.

Agression is when an uncomfortable situation happens and you seek a peaceful solution.. its a natural thing with humans and animals. Black Bears are not aggressive but some will be if they sense an uncomfortable situation such as what was portrayed with this idiot.(including the ranger who was out there with a gun and apparently the 2nd bear knew what just happened to the 1st one and sensed danger. Of course it will charge)

Just to add, the huge majority of animal attacks I'm aware have a common starting point; some idiot getting way too close to said animal's comfort zone and paying the price. Case and point from Yellowstone, a woman was stopped from coating her child's face with honey so the nice grizzly could it off. Darwin plays a special role in the lives of that special few.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Yep. Citing the Courant's article:

"A second bear was killed Tuesday night as DEEP staff searched for the bear that encountered the hiker, DEEP said. It charged two wildlife division employees."
Rangers or "employees"? Used to work for the DEEP; many "employees" are college kids with no clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut