Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:43 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times

Advertisements

Guess it depends really on IF those jobs are needed. Keeping unneeded employees just because you can afford it today is very poor business. Personally I think we could lose at least 25% of our state employees without sacraficing our quality of life and I think having a smaller well paid work force is better than having a big unfunded work force. IMHO 6500 is a drop in the bucket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 05:52 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
Right on Jay.

It's not just 6,500 losing their jobs, it's all the other services and business that benefited from those 6,500 having a job and the income to spend on supporting services what are saved as well.

I think if its possible to do without those 6500 jobs, and apparently it is or it wouldn't have been proposed at all, then its simply wasteful to keep them. We need to remember that state employees arent actually producing anything, they provide a service & thats it. Nobody would hire more people then they actually need just to see them have jobs, except for an entity thats funded with other peoples money. Or maybe I'm wrong, do you employ extra people just so they will have money to spend supporting services? I sure dont & wouldn't and our state should be more frugal than any of us since it is not their money they are entrusted with.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:54 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Anyone with any knowledge of politics could see this was coming. No politican wants to layoff 6,500 people, particularly not a Democrat. We will see what happens. Personally I think it is better to keep people working with lower pay and benefits than to lay to layoff a lot of people. Jay
Agreed, but the union didn't see it that way and didn't initially agree to lower pay and benefits which is how this mess came to be to begin with. They could've simply seen it the same way and had a reasonable agreement, no one was reducing them to poverty wages or completely taking away their health care.

Unlike the union mess in Wisconsin (where even Chris Christie thought Walker went a little too far on the extent of limiting benefits and bargaining for them.....my take is there should be some bargaining allowed but the unions need to realize that health care has gone up far more than inflation and some employee contribution is needed), this issue was 100% a matter of certain lazy folks in the state employee union covering their you-know-what at the expense of some of their own less tenured brethren and didn't need all of this nonsense to get solved.

It takes a ridiculous amount of posturing back and forth to get things done politically in this day and age.....we need more things like the "Gang of Six" (which even Wall Street and Pres. Obama responded positively to) and less of things like Eric Cantor having tantrums at the White House, etc. (especially while John Boehner appeared to be working out a decent deal).

Old 07-20-2011, 01:02 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,710 times
know of a unionized lawyer wrking in Bpt courts that (at least was) a huge deadhead w/all the extra curricular deadheadedness...lol. Haven't spoken to in yrs, but point is this deadhead has over 25 yrs union seniority. Have always wondered why white collar lawyers get to have a union? They definitely aren't the blue collar folks that I think of when I think union.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:22 AM

Lawyers have a union? First I've heard of this....

Old 07-20-2011, 07:36 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,763,231 times
I don't know - I kind of like those " services". Now I may have to drive an hour to get to a crowded DMV office, take a day off from work and spend hours doing what could have been minutes at my former more local office.

I kind of like having the roads plowed in the winter. As someone who drives 30,000 miles or more a year , the thought of having a 30% layoff in DOT does not thrill me. The potential loss of life or even the potential for additional property damage due to snow covered or icy highways is not something to look forward to.

I like having those state troopers around. Not looking forward to less coverage. I could go on and on.

The only people who " manufacture" anything are factory works and construction workers. Since I would suspect most of us don't work in factories or build things directly, the rest of us workers are all providing services of some sort.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:39 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
Wait until 2013....

Old 07-20-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Lawyers have a union? First I've heard of this....
Yup all judicial court clerks have 2 have graduated from law school & then they get paid better if they pass the bar.... & yes all courthouse employees (not sure about judges) have a union... Last I heard 9-5 job w/hour for lunch=40 hrs-lunch=salaried 35 hour work week... Union mandated they take two 15 min brks = actually working 32.5 hours....and of course the lunches are almost always 20-30 longer& the 15 min coffee breaks are at least 25

Union guaranteed pay increases, union guaranteed medical coverage, vacation days accrue and NEVER expire, no mandatory retirement ... They can sit and earn till they drop , then get max pension(not 401k)... Heard some stay round till they can't function..

Yes unionized lawyers...and we are paying for them... And of course first in= last out

Old 07-20-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Yup all judicial court clerks have 2 have graduated from law school & then they get paid better if they pass the bar.... & yes all courthouse employees (not sure about judges) have a union... Last I heard 9-5 job w/hour for lunch=40 hrs-lunch=salaried 35 hour work week... Union mandated they take two 15 min brks = actually working 32.5 hours....and of course the lunches are almost always 20-30 longer& the 15 min coffee breaks are at least 25

Union guaranteed pay increases, union guaranteed medical coverage, vacation days accrue and NEVER expire, no mandatory retirement ... They can sit and earn till they drop , then get max pension(not 401k)... Heard some stay round till they can't function..

Yes unionized lawyers...and we are paying for them... And of course first in= last out
OK they may have a legal education, but I'm talking about the actual attorneys in the cases. So the public defender is unionized?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:03 PM

Not 100% sure of PubDef& Prosecutors( but think any contracted judicial staff was in the Judicial Staff union; we're talking long term memory here LOL),however- even someone clerking who passed the CT BAR; is still a lawyer who is in a union-period, and yes most Clerks had passed the Bar in order to rise within the Clerk ranks; they don't just do a semester clerking for school; this is a lifetime job. I understand giving white collar individual work contracts, but not giving them union perks& bennies; accrued vacations that don't expire, pensions, etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut