Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:51 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,397,849 times

Advertisements

Was driving around Stamford the other day and I've always noticed how there is a huge presence of Indian people living and working there. Is it because of the financial companies?

Old 08-02-2011, 07:15 AM

18 posts, read 60,408 times
Lot of these people are here on work permit. yes, you are correct because financial companies in Stamford and New York City.

I don't mind having them around and their kids in the school because they are pretty talented kids.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Same in the Hartford metro.

I too don't have a problem aside from one issue. Many come here on a work visa, keep to themselves, live as frugal as possible, hoard money and then leave back to India. Basically they come here to fill up their pockets, don't contribute much to our society and leave. That's not cool, and it's taking jobs from Americans.

Those that come and assimilate and become productive members of our country, I welcome with open arms.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:24 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
I've noticed a lot of Indian folks in Milford as well.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:31 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,135,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Same in the Hartford metro.

I too don't have a problem aside from one issue. Many come here on a work visa, keep to themselves, live as frugal as possible, hoard money and then leave back to India. Basically they come here to fill up their pockets, don't contribute much to our society and leave. That's not cool, and it's taking jobs from Americans.

Those that come and assimilate and become productive members of our country, I welcome with open arms.
Yup.

But, at least in IT, they're not taking jobs at the number some might imagine. Believe it or not it is really difficult to find qualified American programmers and software engineers. The good ones are working. The others.... meh.

American kids don't tend to want to major in Computer Science. If you go to any reputable CS program (I went to the University of Texas, which is a top 5 CS program) usually you will have a high concentration of foreign nationals in the major. You will also see many immigrants and first generation Americans. It's a tough field, and sadly, most American kids can't be bothered. If it wasn't for the immigrants and first-generation Americans, there would be no Americans in CS...

Hence.. .the need for H1B's to fill in the gap.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yup.

But, at least in IT, they're not taking jobs at the number some might imagine. Believe it or not it is really difficult to find qualified American programmers and software engineers. The good ones are working. The others.... meh.

American kids don't tend to want to major in Computer Science. If you go to any reputable CS program (I went to the University of Texas, which is a top 5 CS program) usually you will have a high concentration of foreign nationals in the major. You will also see many immigrants and first generation Americans. It's a tough field, and sadly, most American kids can't be bothered. If it wasn't for the immigrants and first-generation Americans, there would be no Americans in CS...

Hence.. .the need for H1B's to fill in the gap.
I agree and it's really sad that IT to most American's these days means being a network admin or a guy who can plug a bunch of part together and build a PC.

Then again, we've raised an entire generation that can't seem to focus on anything for more than 3 minutes, let alone write a few hundred lines of code.

Lunch next week? Edit: Nevermind, I just read the DM.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:49 AM

11 posts, read 13,199 times
Default there are tons of indians in jersey city too

and i always see 2 men walking around at night together and i wonder if they are gay couples or if they just spend time with thier own gender because i never see women walking around with them, every night my fiance and i go jogging and we see tons and tons of indian men together.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:12 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlaandlisa View Post
and i always see 2 men walking around at night together and i wonder if they are gay couples or if they just spend time with thier own gender because i never see women walking around with them, every night my fiance and i go jogging and we see tons and tons of indian men together.
American culture has corrupted men that two men can't spend time together for fear of being taken gay.

It has given raise to a generation of insecure men who simply are scared to be even perceived as gay.

Men in other parts of the world hang out together all the time, sometimes, shoulder over shoulder and even hugging, it's a sign of intense friendship, camaraderie and dude bond. Some even give lives for each other. Not sure about the Chinese, but the pattern is prevalent in Pakistan, Afghanistan and the Middle East too. Men smoke together and play board games in islamic countries.

My and my gang used to smoke the same cigarette, like 4 or 5 guys piping on one cigarette or the islamic smoke pipe

Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Statistically, 60% of the Indians have left the US owing to the US economy and the surging economy back there.

The numbers were at their height in 2005-2006. Most guys here work in RBS and UBS. And they cannot buy homes so they are cluttered in the Stamford downtown area in the condos present. They can't be found in other places, and it makes logical sense as they are here short term.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
American culture has corrupted men that two men can't spend time together for fear of being taken gay.

It has given raise to a generation of insecure men who simply are scared to be even perceived as gay.

Men in other parts of the world hang out together all the time, sometimes, shoulder over shoulder and even hugging, it's a sign of intense friendship, camaraderie and dude bond. Some even give lives for each other. Not sure about the Chinese, but the pattern is prevalent in Pakistan, Afghanistan and the Middle East too. Men smoke together and play board games in islamic countries.

My and my gang used to smoke the same cigarette, like 4 or 5 guys piping on one cigarette or the islamic smoke pipe
Agreed on all points. In my family/culture men even give each other kisses! The horror! LOL Here, it's a fist bump and anything more is "gay".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut