Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 PM

93 posts, read 187,237 times

Advertisements

Thought I would start a new thread.....From what I saw of Stamford (downtown area), I wasnt impressed and am wondering if I missed out on something? Im debating whether I should live in/near Stamford....I dont want to live somewhere that is boring and I didnt feel any excitement towards Stamford. It seemed like there was so many not-so-nice areas. It doesnt seem worth the expense to live in Stamford when I dont like the downtown area. Does anyone live in Stamford and what is their opinion of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I do not live in Stamford but I am wondering what it is you don't like about it. It certainly is a nice downtown by any standards. I am not sure what rundown areas you saw but as far as cities go Stamford has fewer run down areas than most cities its size.

I wonder if you just do nto like the size and urban feel that Stamford has. I know you like Milford but to me it is nice but kind of small. Anyway, only you can decide what is best for you. Jay

Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
I think it's a fine place. I don't think Stamford is all that rundown - I actually think it's well tended - but it does lack activity compared to other cities. It's no New Haven, but it is safer. There are a few popular bars downtown on Bedford, but it's mostly an office park city IMO. To JayCT's comment on Milford, for a town its size there's no fewer than 7 popular bars downtown in the harbor vicinity.

I would not move to Stamford for Stamford as the city doesn't really do it for me for the rent, but I'd definitely consider it to be closer to NYC. That's what you're paying for at the end of the day. That's just me.

Last edited by Stylo; 08-02-2011 at 09:26 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 PM

10,058 posts, read 14,929,390 times
I live in Stamford and don't really know what the OP meant by rundown areas, considering that we don't have true ghettos here. I was actually shocked how bad neighborhoods can be when I went away and saw them with my own eyes, never again did I thought of Stamford as having ghettos or even rundown areas.

But, let me try to pin point the 'issue' the OP might be referring to.

The 'rundown' areas could possibly be the West Side (especially on the eastern side of Richmond Hill, the hill that starts at the Tresser Boulevard Greenwich Avenue intersection), the South End (now its being called 'South Side,' a sign of the times), and maybe parts of Cove/East Side (particularly the area east of the supermarket at Shippan Avenue and/or south of St Mary's Cathedral on Elm St.) Yes, those areas could be considered 'rundown' by Fairfield County standards (and the rest of the city's standards), but that's assuming you haven't seen what a true rundown area looks like, which makes Stamford's 'rundown' areas look rather nice.

Those areas are small and easy to avoid, if that is the OP's concern. The South End is on its way towards gentrification, a good deal of it is already there.

As for Downtown, I don't understand the OP's point of view. Parts of the neighborhood is very corporate/high density office park like, while other parts (Summer Street-Broad Street-Atlantic Street-Bedford Street-Main St areas) are quite social and pedestrian friendly areas with a nice nightlife, good array of restaurants offering palates the world over, nice shopping, plenty of culture, what else can anyone ask for? At any evening, Downtown Stamford is filled with middle class/upper-middle-class overall highly good looking people, having a darn good time!

The rest of the city is suburban and even semi-rural in some parts, with nature reserves and such for nature lovers.

And then there's the greatest advantage Stamford has over every other city in New England, and that's the 30 to 40 minutes train/car ride to NYC and believe me, that changes everything.

I really don't know what's not to like about Stamford.

It's one of the safest cities in the whole country, so the crime issue can't possibly be the case.

The city is not even rundown, not even in what's suppose to be ghetto areas.

Can someone enlighten me what's the issue the OP has against this place? I don't get it.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post

Can someone enlighten me what's the issue the OP has against this place? I don't get it.
I only agree on the lack of life to the place. Yeah, there's some bars and restaurants, but not that many in proportion to a city its size. I don't even live there and got pretty sick of the limited bar scene. Compared to many cities in the US, it's rather lacking in that regard. Also, not a lot of museums, theaters, live music venues, culture, etc. It's also a bit lacking in character.

Other than that, I agree with your assessment and I think it's a good place to live. Being near NYC is the most appealing thing about Stamford to me.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:51 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio84 View Post
i live in stamford and don't really know what the op meant by rundown areas, considering that we don't have true ghettos here. I was actually shocked how bad neighborhoods can be when i went away and saw them with my own eyes, never again did i thought of stamford as having ghettos or even rundown areas.

But, let me try to pin point the 'issue' the op might be referring to.

The 'rundown' areas could possibly be the west side (especially on the eastern side of richmond hill, the hill that starts at the tresser boulevard greenwich avenue intersection), the south end (now its being called 'south side,' a sign of the times), and maybe parts of cove/east side (particularly the area east of the supermarket at shippan avenue and/or south of st mary's cathedral on elm st.) yes, those areas could be considered 'rundown' by fairfield county standards (and the rest of the city's standards), but that's assuming you haven't seen what a true rundown area looks like, which makes stamford's 'rundown' areas look rather nice.
lol.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:08 AM

576 posts, read 1,218,307 times
Hey go to Jerry Springer show... the show aired in Stamford LOOL

Old 08-03-2011, 07:09 AM

2,152 posts, read 3,396,604 times
i kinda agree about the lack of night life. Its there, there are some decent places. I think that a lot of the bars are the same thing with the same types of people. I think Stamford needs some more places with more variety. CoalHouse pizza off high ridge road and has a jazz/blues theme and has great beer. I'd like to see more places like that with more of a laid back feel. But places like black bear, tiernans , butterfield, etc all attract the same type of people which gets pretty boring after a while. But like mentioned before, you have the option of going into NYC which makes up for it.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydoody342 View Post
But places like black bear, tiernans , butterfield, etc all attract the same type of people which gets pretty boring after a while.
Agree. Add 84 to that mix and you have pretty much all the Stamford nightlife. Gets boring really quickly. I will say it's leagues ahead of some other CT "cities" like Danbury and Waterbury for nightlife.

NYC on the other hand never gets boring.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:10 AM

576 posts, read 1,218,307 times
^ or going to New Haven as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut