Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Those are different idiots...the freeloading kind. Well, then again, I suppose the politicians in Hartford fit that description as well. lol

To toss a little salt in the wound here...as you may or may not know my wife works at a daycare. Well, two shining examples of what we are being taxed for reared their head today and my face almost exploded.

Case #1. Mom is a nurse making good money, dad makes good money. How in the HELL do they qualify for daycare assistance? (The threshold is something like 48K) Answer: They are not married, and therefore she is a single mom which allows all kinds of deductions from "gross" pay. Nice.

Case #2. White girl gets jungle fever and has mixed twins, dad is looong gone. (Shocker.) She basically works about 20 hours a week. (And trust me, what many would consider white ghetto trash) and has kids in daycare. Two kids, in one of the most expensive daycares around. SHE pays a whopping $150 a month. Nice.

So we have two example of the state rewarding behavior that says "why marry" and "you can go out get your freak on and not have to worry about it". Yet, working, responsible families like all of ours don't get help...hell we get to pay for it.

I love when government gets involved.

It's examples like that which make me say f it. I'm not going to pay $15 per hour when I can get away with $10 or $12. I'm going to make everyone into slaves and get rid of any kind of bonus money for a hard days work. I'm going to raise my prices on top of it, and not go out of my way to do work that no one will see out of integrity. I might even start the hard sales model and upsell everyone like some of my competitors and walk out with 30% more in the end.

This way, I'll make a pile of money and not give a
crap about these petty taxes. $200 per month? Pfft, I'll make that up in half a day.

Someone talk me out of it, because everyone else seems to be taking advantage of whatever they can...why shouldn't I?
Just take a look at what's going on in the UK, is that the way we're headed? Jesus I hope not; theirs is a shining example of what not to do. Liberalism and political correctness taken to a whole new level. Generation of do nothings, no nothings and government dependency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 07:08 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Just take a look at what's going on in the UK, is that the way we're headed? Jesus I hope not; theirs is a shining example of what not to do. Liberalism and political correctness taken to a whole new level. Generation of do nothings, no nothings and government dependency.
yeah the Pussification Of America

Old 08-15-2011, 07:21 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
OMFG!
Head nurse Jennifer Brown, $226,346, including $105,972 in regular wages, $94,625 in overtime, $22,772 in "differential" payments for certain shifts such as overnight or weekends, $2,024 for meal allowance and $954 in "longevity" payments.

•Head nurse Susan Loiler, $159,359, including $89,629 in regular wages, $59,033 in overtime, $7,585 in differential payments, $1,272 in longevity payments and $1,840 for meal allowance.

•Nurse Laura Brewster, $93,499, including $60,489 in regular wages, $27,423 in overtime, $4,002 in differential payments and $1,584 for meal allowance.

So, why does the state pay so much overtime to the full-time prison nurses when it could use the per-diems, who make $35 or $45 an hour or so, without the health benefits enjoyed by full-timers? After all, the per-diems are licensed and certified just like the full-timers, and in some cases have even better training by virtue of working in private settings such as hospital emergency rooms.

The answer is that it's a union issue.
Pension-Fueling OT: Prison Nurses Get Pension-Fueling OT As Part-Timers' Hours Are Cut - Hartford Courant

Same whores, different scenario.

I can't watch...seriously, I can't. About 2% of the ENTIRE population makes over 200K per year. So a "nurse" who can retire with a $105K pension after 20 years is in the top 2% here in CT?

And WHY shouldn't I just get mines?

Old 08-16-2011, 11:22 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,110 times
Default we are being ripped off again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Yes, we probably will go the way of the European nations, slipping and sliding toward third world status. I recently read a Wall St. Journal article that states the federal government is considering selling single-family foreclosed homes to "investors" to turn into rental housing. That will kill off a lot of neighborhoods that are barely hanging on now. I am so glad I am planning a move to a 55+ community with no rentals. I never want to worry again about what sort of neighbors I will be getting next.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Yes, we probably will go the way of the European nations, slipping and sliding toward third world status. I recently read a Wall St. Journal article that states the federal government is considering selling single-family foreclosed homes to "investors" to turn into rental housing. That will kill off a lot of neighborhoods that are barely hanging on now. I am so glad I am planning a move to a 55+ community with no rentals. I never want to worry again about what sort of neighbors I will be getting next.
If they do that, it's game over. That's the problem I have with the federal government holding the majority of home mortgages. When did the feds become bankers?

I'm thankful we have no foreclosures in my entire neighborhood!

ETA: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mone...eddie-mac.html

Old 08-19-2011, 11:21 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
If they do that, it's game over. That's the problem I have with the federal government holding the majority of home mortgages. When did the feds become bankers?

I'm thankful we have no foreclosures in my entire neighborhood!

ETA: Feds seek ideas on renting foreclosed homes owned by government - latimes.com

Yes, you are lucky there are no foreclosures in your area. I am in a condo complex with 6 foreclosures and only foreclosures and short sales have sold in our complex for the past 2-1/2 years. Investors buy them and rent them out. We now have so many rentals, and the reserve fund is so low, that people can't get FHA mortgages to buy there. One neighbor had a sale all lined up, not a short sale either and the buyer could not get a mortgage for our complex.

On the bright side, I like the neighborhood, one mile to the beach in one direction, one mile to the town center in the other direction, both walkable if I feel like walking and still some good neighbors. But I will be happy to unload the place for whatever I can get and go on to a better place, definitely not a condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut