Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:02 PM

10 posts, read 33,724 times

Advertisements

We are looking into moving from Westchester to Wilton CT for a host of reasons. The info on this board has been very helpful with a lot of issues -- a few more questions! --

-- I'd be commuting to NYC/GCT. As far as Metro-North goes, I am looking into at parking SONO, Stamford, or maybe New Canaan. I am trying to nail down information on non-resident parking, i.e., specifically what time are spaces gone during the AM rush; monthly fee, etc.

-- Is the worst of the Rte 7 construction behind? Has it helped?

-- Any thoughts on the residential market as compared to neighboring areas. It still seems like prices are steeply lower compared to 3 or 4 years ago. I cannot get a sense of whether it's going to pick up anytime soon, whether foreclosures are still happening.

-- We may rent for some period (6 to 12 mos.) after we move and before buying. We'd like to be in Wilton for the schools. It does not seem like there are very many apartment bldgs - ? - I know what I can see (there's not much around!) but am I missing something?

Thanks all and sorry for the laundry list!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 03:26 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,218 times
1)

Forget about Stamford. Darien is better because you can buy cheaper parking coupons and is closer too.

New Canaan is good if you are living at the western part of town but last I saw there are only 6 non-resident parking spaces thats $5/day. I expect those space to be occupied by 7am. Another option is Talmadge Hill Station that is NEVER fully occupied.

I think parking permit for South Norwalk has 1 year waiting time. Daily parking is $6.50.

2)

In Wilton its more or less behind. Helped?

lolx....it depends on your definition of helped but I will never travel there during peak hours because it is very very very busy during peak hours. I'd never buy a house that force me to travel on route 7 in the morning. Stick with somewhere close to Belden Hill Rd or Drum Hill Rd. If you are getting somewhere in the east, get somewhere around Westport Rd.

3)

Foreclosures are rare in Wilton, likewise in any wealthy FFC towns. Not going to pick up soon but properties with value still get snatched up very very fast. Wilton does not have direct train access to NYC and that explains their significant discount compared to the 4 X million dollar median price towns: Greenwich, Darien, New Canaan and Westport. Prices in Wilton and Westport seem to have reflected market realities faster than what I see in New Canaan and Darien. The old money holding power in New Canaan and Darien are pretty crazy.

4)

There are a quite few Wilton apartments actually but there may not be many for rent at this point right now.

Last edited by Konig1985; 08-15-2011 at 03:53 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 PM

49 posts, read 111,893 times
This is anecdotal, so it may not be of much use, but my cousin and her husband rent a beautiful house in Wilton for $2600/month. He commutes to the city and I haven't heard him complain about it. I'm not sure how they found their house, though, but they moved from to Wilton from out-of-state so I'm assuming they found it over the Internet. Perhaps try Trulia or craigslist? Good luck!

Old 08-15-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilachu View Post
This is anecdotal, so it may not be of much use, but my cousin and her husband rent a beautiful house in Wilton for $2600/month. He commutes to the city and I haven't heard him complain about it. I'm not sure how they found their house, though, but they moved from to Wilton from out-of-state so I'm assuming they found it over the Internet. Perhaps try Trulia or craigslist? Good luck!
or listingbook

Old 08-15-2011, 09:16 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Why not look into Westport? You might get a bit less house for your money, but the commute will be much easier. You can hop on the train at Westport. It also offers a lot more as a town IMO.

Even Fairfield would make for a better commute to NYC than Wilton. And it's more affordable than both.

Both Fairfield and Westport have excellent schools, Westport's being some of the best in the country.

In Wilton, your only viable options are South Norwalk or Darien. New Canaan is a bit slow since it's a branch off the main line. I would not even attempt Stamford with the traffic. Even getting into South Norwalk and Darien can be maddening with all the side street traffic at rush hour.

Route 7 is much better after the construction, but still relatively slow. If you're in north Wilton, be prepared for a rather long commute as Route 7 can be slow with lots of traffic lights.

Believe it or not, western Ridgefield might even be a better commute. You can drive right to Katonah and take the train there with little congestion.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Why not look into Westport? You might get a bit less house for your money, but the commute will be much easier. You can hop on the train at Westport. It also offers a lot more as a town IMO.

Even Fairfield would make for a better commute to NYC than Wilton. And it's more affordable than both.

Both Fairfield and Westport have excellent schools, Westport's being some of the best in the country.

In Wilton, your only viable options are South Norwalk or Darien. New Canaan is a bit slow since it's a branch off the main line. I would not even attempt Stamford with the traffic. Even getting into South Norwalk and Darien can be maddening with all the side street traffic at rush hour.

Route 7 is much better after the construction, but still relatively slow. If you're in north Wilton, be prepared for a rather long commute as Route 7 can be slow with lots of traffic lights.

Believe it or not, western Ridgefield might even be a better commute. You can drive right to Katonah and take the train there with little congestion.
New Canaan is the same as Westport but you are guaranteed a seat at New Canaan.

Ridgefield can't hold a candle to Wilton in terms of choice because Katonah is their only option. In Wilton you can choose SONO, New Canaan or Westport depending on where you live. Westport prices are much steeper than Wilton.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:05 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post

Ridgefield can't hold a candle to Wilton in terms of choice because Katonah is their only option. In Wilton you can choose SONO, New Canaan or Westport depending on where you live. Westport prices are much steeper than Wilton.
FWIW, if you live in southern Ridgefield, New Canaan is very close.

The commuting difference between Wilton and Ridgefield is only about 10 minutes per day.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:01 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,274,012 times
Daily parking in South Norwalk is $8.00 a day. You don't have to be a resident to get a monthly parking pass. The traffic on Rt 7 in the morning will be fine. It's mainly the folks from Danbury/North Ridgefield who are heading south where it's only one lane that gripe. You'll be two lanes the entire time. FAQ | Norwalk Parking Authority

If you're set on Wilton - they just finished constructing the Avalon Wilton -at the Route 7/Route 33 cross. Might be a decent place to settle for a year while you house hunt. Prices are noted. Wilton Schools. Avalon Wilton - Wilton, CT Apartment Floorplans

Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 AM

10 posts, read 33,724 times
Thanks everyone. Re: why note Westport - will look into, but were drawn to Wilton by the large lots and rural aspects. But will take a look at Westport, too. On first look it does seem that larger lots are there, although smaller in number - but also that the property taxes are lower? I assumed the opposite.

Thanks all!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:57 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post

Why would you have to choose if you had Katonah as an option?

If you live in Westport, you have a short drive to the train station and can apply for a parking permit in the future. Same thing in Fairfield, which soon will have 3 train stations to choose from.

If you live in Wilton, you have an up to 25 minute drive to New Canaan, depending on where you live in Wilton.

Wilton doesn't make sense at all to me for an NYC commuter. That, and I'm not all that impressed with the town and its lack of a good town center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut