Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Whats sad is...4 lanes will help but guess what....same problem will exist in 20 short years.
Then how bad will it be in 20 years if we still only have 3 lanes? Impassable?

You probably need 8 lanes in each direction(16 lanes total) on I-95 up to Bridgeport to alleviate congestion for the next 30 years and you need to turn the Merritt parkway from Greenwich to route 8 interchange into a true interstate with 3 lanes in each direction. The only way this will ever get done is to significantly increase the taxes on the rich that live in in this state and add big time tolls in sw ct.

Look at how many lanes the NJ turnpike has. I-95 in SW CT is only going to get worse. It's way over it's engineered capacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 09:12 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
WTF? Why does that need 5 years to finish? What's stopping them from rushing it and doing it in 1-2?
Exactly what I said when I read it!

Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I didn't read the article, but I think "express lanes" might work here.
I've seen these in the Las Vegas area, but never here in New England.

Imagine you have 4 lanes - the left 2 lanes are "express" or "thru" lanes and the right 2 lanes are for exits and or merging.

It would also be helpful to reduce the # of exits.

I don't think we can widen I-95 much more, so it's time to look into alternative traffic management methods.
I agree fully. One of the problems is enforcing these rules - there is a sense of entitlement and pure stupidity on the roads these days.

Thank god my wife doesn't have to do the Branford --> Stamford commute anymore.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 AM

83,539 posts, read 75,373,979 times
Another good line... I gotta sit down and read the whole thing eventually. lol

"A survey that used cars equipped with geographical positioning systems, found evening rush-hour commuters traveled an average of 15 mph between exits 16 and 15 on I-95 approaching the Route 7 connector from the north."

I guess I won't have to send in my video anymore. Seems like they are monitoring it. [/LEFT]

Note: "Average" that means 5mph and 25mph are also factored in.
Note: Just at those exits??? Lord help me.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:25 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Then how bad will it be in 20 years if we still only have 3 lanes? Impassable?

You probably need 8 lanes in each direction(16 lanes total) on I-95 up to Bridgeport to alleviate congestion for the next 30 years and you need to turn the Merritt parkway from Greenwich to route 8 interchange into a true interstate with 3 lanes in each direction. The only way this will ever get done is to significantly increase the taxes on the rich that live in in this state and add big time tolls in sw ct.

Look at how many lanes the NJ turnpike has. I-95 in SW CT is only going to get worse. It's way over it's engineered capacity.
How are you going to do 8 lanes each direction? Build on top?

You really think taxing the rich is going to pay for a project that huge? There is no way this state could EVER fund something like that. It would have to be mostly federally funded.

If you taxed the rich enough to pay 1/20th of that, they would all leave the state.

4 true lanes (not including exits) from Greenwich to Bridgeport, less exits, on ramp management, and other improvements would last us for a while. But at least the true 4 lanes won't happen because there's no way to make that expansion in some areas.

In 30 years, public transportation is going to be much more widely adopted than it is now. Gas prices will be immense and unless a similar affordable fuel (hydrogen? instant charge batteries?) comes out, cars will be much less popular than they are today.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Another good line... I gotta sit down and read the whole thing eventually. lol

"A survey that used cars equipped with geographical positioning systems, found evening rush-hour commuters traveled an average of 15 mph between exits 16 and 15 on I-95 approaching the Route 7 connector from the north."

I guess I won't have to send in my video anymore. Seems like they are monitoring it. [/left]

Note: "Average" that means 5mph and 25mph are also factored in.
Note: Just at those exits??? Lord help me.
They really had to study that? All you have to do is look at the traffic cams that have been there for years to see the gridlock. Or actually drive it.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
How are you going to do 8 lanes each direction? Build on top?

You really think taxing the rich is going to pay for a project that huge? There is no way this state could EVER fund something like that. It would have to be mostly federally funded.

If you taxed the rich enough to pay 1/20th of that, they would all leave the state.

4 true lanes (not including exits) from Greenwich to Bridgeport, less exits, on ramp management, and other improvements would last us for a while. But at least the true 4 lanes won't happen because there's no way to make that expansion in some areas.

In 30 years, public transportation is going to be much more widely adopted than it is now. Gas prices will be immense and unless a similar affordable fuel (hydrogen? instant charge batteries?) comes out, cars will be much less popular than they are today.
Yeah you're right it would have to be done federally, but if you look at highways elsewhere with the same amount of vehicles traveling daily, they have 16 lane highways.

I don't know how mass transit is going to be adopted. All urban planning for the past 50 years have been designed around cars. You can't survive without a car in 99% of CT. Everything is so spread out and mass transit sucks. In the Hartford area, almost all bus routes to surrounding towns(where everyone lives) stop running at 5:30pm and NO service in many area's on weekends. I find it amazing they want to spend all that money on new britain busway when there isn't really any service in the evening's. You can't survive without a car here in central CT. How are people who work evening/weekend shifts supposed to get to work?(and the poor people who work service jobs are the biggest users of bus service) How are they supposed to get around after work? Providence RI area has much better mass transit and you can actually still get around by bus since many routes run until midnight. Of course now their actually talking about cutting service! So if that goes through, soon providence area will be completely car reliant just like the hartford area. You can't get around by bus in CT. Simple.
I'm TOTALLY FOR MASS TRANSIT. It's just that they haven't made it feasible in most area's in CT.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I'm TOTALLY FOR MASS TRANSIT. It's just that they haven't made it feasible in most area's in CT.
I think in SW CT rail is the future. They need more cars, more express (100% direct) trains to Stamford and NYC from ALL major stations without stops. 60 minute train from New Haven to GCT? Yes.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I think in SW CT rail is the future. They need more cars, more express (100% direct) trains to Stamford and NYC from ALL major stations without stops. 60 minute train from New Haven to GCT? Yes.
Rail is the future in that area, but Who actually tries to drive into nyc from new haven or norwalk ct everyday? Most people seem to take the train NOW for that SPECIFIC commute into Manhattan. Different story though for everyone else going to other destinations that are driving on that major corridor of I-95. If it wasn't for the trains, that road would be completely impassable. That train that's currently there probably equals another 3 lane interstate. lol That's how many people it carries everyday.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Rail is the future in that area, but Who actually tries to drive into nyc from new haven or norwalk ct everyday? Most people seem to take the train NOW for that SPECIFIC commute into Manhattan. Different story though for everyone else going to other destinations that are driving on that major corridor of I-95. If it wasn't for the trains, that road would be completely impassable. That train that's currently there probably equals another 3 lane interstate. lol That's how many people it carries everyday.
Right, parking at stations is another huge hurdle along with reliable service and more direct express trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut