Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times

Advertisements

Hey I report the good with the bad, and found this to be interesting.
Businesses operating in Connecticut were the least burdened of all states by state and local taxes, the latest Ernst & Young report shows.
Connecticut businesses' 3.3 percent tax burden as a share of private sector gross state product was the lowest of all 50 states in fiscal 2010, according to the ninth annual report produced in conjunction with the Council On State Taxation (COST).

The national average was 5 percent.
CT Inc.'s tax burden lowest in U.S. | Hartford Business

The study:

http://cost.org/Page.aspx?id=79163

Granted it seems as though this is simply corporate tax. Not sure how it would rank for small businesses.

http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/ctnj.php..._of_any_state/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:41 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
I saw this too and thought about posting it. It is interesting and a different point of view. I think it is more overall. Too many of these reports just look at state taxes alone, but do not consider county (we do not have this) or municipal taxes (which overall are lower) Jay

Old 08-21-2011, 04:34 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
So that begs the question then- Why aren't businesses attracted to Connecticut and what can be done about it. I have said in at least three threads that taxation is not the problem- infrastructue to support entrepreneurship is...

Of course all of those threads had a million posts and lively debate...This one crickets....

Old 08-22-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So that begs the question then- Why aren't businesses attracted to Connecticut and what can be done about it. I have said in at least three threads that taxation is not the problem- infrastructue to support entrepreneurship is...

Of course all of those threads had a million posts and lively debate...This one crickets....
Agreed, but it begs the questions from me to wonder where the tax burden has fallen/shifted too. Seems government and big corporations are doing fine here, and in fact Malloy's first five boondoggle really didn't do much except pay off big corporations.

I have to wonder if a disproportionate amount of the burden is in fact on the middle class and small business (Under 500 employees) in this state. It sure feels like it.

Also if you are minority or woman owned, the state goes out of it's way to give you a competitive advantage. One of my sort of competitors who's wife is Latino actually made her president of the company to land state contracts granted to minorities and woman that essentially shut me out from bidding. She has about as much to do with the business as my wife in mine. Stuff like that really bothers me.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Also if you are minority or woman owned, the state goes out of it's way to give you a competitive advantage. One of my sort of competitors who's wife is Latino actually made her president of the company to land state contracts granted to minorities and woman that essentially shut me out from bidding. She has about as much to do with the business as my wife in mine. Stuff like that really bothers me.
That's not a Connecticut thing. We had the same situation with the last company we had in Austin. (I was a minority partner with a small ownership percentage). The president of the company was the owner's wife... Not because she really ran the company, but because it gave us favorability in state and municipal contracts.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:07 AM

168 posts, read 275,545 times
That is because of all the deals Hartford gives. They just gave Starwood Hotels corporate to move 800 employees to Stamford $40,000,000 in tax rebates. Last year they gave a ton to Gen. Dyn. & Waste Mgt. Well figure getting all those kick backs you would have a low tax burden.

Does the state make it up in sales tax collection and personal inc. Well you figure how long that takes.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,044,161 times
I don't know -- I felt taxed up the butt from CT.

When I looked into changing my address (to MA) for all the related business things (IRS, Dept. of Labor, etc...), when I got to the Business Entity Tax folks, I gasped: They wanted $100 in order to change my address. Really? REALLY?

Anyway, I'm closing the business, but that's not really the point, is it? It's madness.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 AM

168 posts, read 275,545 times
I forgot to add about Starwood Hotels that they moved 10 miles from I-287 corp park in Westchester. Most tops live in Harrison, Rye & Bedford, NY and most employees won't move for that short trip.

Hey corp is diff from pers. A S-corp or LLP is taxed at personal level not corporate. All income is passed from corp return into a K-1 that appears on personal 1096 form. So maybe the Hartford, Stanley or UBS gets a great state kick back. I don't know. However, CT is 3rd behind NY then NJ#1 as top tax states per individual. Both Cuomo & Christie are trying to lower taxes while Malloy is raising them. Why has Texas gained so many corporations in last 20 years. They are second behind NY in Fortune 500 headquarters.

FYI when you hear the gov't is cutting programs; question. Most gov't budgets have mandatory % raises (usually 10%) or it is considered a cut from last year. Ex. program A $100,000 2011 if it does not go above $110,000 2012 it is considered a cut.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:55 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilfman View Post
FYI when you hear the gov't is cutting programs; question. Most gov't budgets have mandatory % raises (usually 10%) or it is considered a cut from last year. Ex. program A $100,000 2011 if it does not go above $110,000 2012 it is considered a cut.
That is not true. Where did you get this idea from? Jay

Old 08-25-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is not true. Where did you get this idea from? Jay
They do it all the time Jay. They just did it here in CT last session! We only grew by 2% instead of 3% so they called it a cut in spending. ROFL You can't make it up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut