Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:04 AM

83,539 posts, read 75,373,979 times

Advertisements

Yeah..its strange when someone compares something to an area that got hit with the most powerful storm of the century. Lol. I type this as I sit in traffic on westport..5mph stop and go.
I wonder how evacuations were handled before internet, cell phones, and satelites. If someone thinks coastal residents never had to leave their property in CT from an incoming storm, that's being nieve. Comparing Hartford to what happened in New Orleans is hilarious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:13 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
We could get hit with something pretty epic, but much of the state is above 100' sea level, so would be fine from floods, except around river banks. The biggest problem would be downed trees and wind damage.
Like a strong nor'easter basically. Again, the whole topic was started because I was mentioning traffic fatalities in central ct and someone said something about evacuations if there's a hurricane.(totally irrelevant and off topic)

Old 08-20-2011, 01:10 PM

457 posts, read 905,453 times
Are there any nuclear power plants in CT or nearby? What if one of those facilities had an emergency?

I've noticed how crowded the roads are around here just for a holiday weekend - I'd hate to rely on those roads if there was an evacuation. Imagine if NYC had to evacuate.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:09 PM

30,268 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
With the models showing a Cat 1 hurricane hitting us next week its not strong enough to cause evacuations but if there was a Cat3 hurricane, will people evacuate 3 days before? I doubt it. Its going to be last minute , and there wont be any way out by driving. Its a sad situation that people will only talk about after the fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
We've been hit with plenty of hurricanes and frankly are overdue. The hurricane of 38 took 690 lives.
Quote:
Hurricane Bob August 1991. Cat 2. 110 MPH winds to Rhode Island. Category 2 in the Rhode Island area, weakening as it went on, northwards.

New England Storm 1938 RARE Cat 2-3 hurricane over Long Island. The only reason it made it there at that strength was because it moved so fast, (50mph), that it didn't have time to weaken after traveling over the COLD waters of the north.

Further, in the 30s, we did not have the advanced technology that we do now so of course more people died. Look at Galveston's history.

Gloria 1985 Category 1 in CT, not a major hurricane. Places throughout the US get stronger winds than this, periodically.

Carol 1954 Category 1-2 in CT, not a major hurricane

Storm #7 1954 If they don't have a name, it's not even worth mentioning.

Diane 1955 Tropical Storm by the time it reached CT, not a major hurricane.

Agnes 1972 Tropical storm by the time it reached the CT area, not a major hurricane.

Donna 1960 Category 1 by the time it reached CT area, not a major hurricane.

Belle 1976 Extratropical storm by the time it reached the CT area, not a major storm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
So you keep comparing CT to New Orleans, and out of everything that goes through your mind, it never occurs to you that the reason New Orleans was such a disaster was because no one thought it could happen to them?
It was a disaster because no one in authority LISTENED when those who knew said that the levees were not strong enough for a Cat 4 or 5. Fixing those levees would cost money and hey, gotta save money ya know...it's not like peoples lives are important.

Quote:
I wonder how evacuations were handled before internet, cell phones, and satelites. If someone thinks coastal residents never had to leave their property in CT from an incoming storm, that's being nieve. Comparing Hartford to what happened in New Orleans is hilarious.
Agreed which is why we are laughing that you're freaking out over a possible hurricane hitting the US...in South FLORIDA!

And I am comparing it to all of Florida, Mexico, Cuba, the Caribbean, all along the Gulf Coast and up to NC. A Cat 1 is a fricken joke. It's nothing more than a windy, rainy day. Ooooh! Scary.

Before the internet, cell phones and satellites, (check your spelling), they used telegraph, they used flags hoisted up in town, (kind of like the flags you might see at the beach)... talk about naive, (again, check your spelling).

The point is, those are just windy, rainy days. Big deal. You can find windier, rainier days anywhere USA.

Quote:
Yeah..its strange when someone compares something to an area that got hit with the most powerful storm of the century. Lol. I type this as I sit in traffic on westport..5mph stop and go.
THAT is why there are deadly accidents, NOT because of some windy, rainy day.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:15 PM

Some people make me laugh. They think a Tropical Storm is nothing, they think a storm not named is not worth mentioning. My oh my. Maybe if they looked at the damage caused by the storms as opposed to the label of it, they would understand why people would need to evacuate even from just a Cat 1.

P.S The label is based on winds...NOT rainfall amounts.
P.S.S - Do you evacuate after it makes landfall? LOL
P.S.S.S - People wont evacuate in CT even if they are told today.

Here's the headline after Hurricane (Tropical Storm) Diane came through.

Here's an Arieal Shot of Hartford after the 1938 Hurricane
1938 Hurricane Photographs, Connecticut State Library

1985---Gloria http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Gloria
............ Such a track gathered the attention of many people, and led to the evacuation of 380,000 people along the coast from North Carolina to Connecticut.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

THAT is why there are deadly accidents, NOT because of some windy, rainy day.
I was the passenger...get off the horse

Old 08-24-2011, 09:48 AM

30,268 posts, read 23,751,941 times
In case you missed what I said, I went through tropical storms and a Cat 1 and a Cat 2-3.

No, tropical storms are not a big deal, a bunch of wind and rain. Cat 1 wasn't a big deal, more wind and rain. You're acting like a tropical storm is the most devastating thing around. It's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut