Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Hoping for the best for you folks in CT. Do what peeps do in the south and stock up on milk and bread. Seriously, since many up north already have generators in prep for ice storms, make sure you got the fuel to turn those on when necessary. Down here, there are clearly marked evacuation routes...in my 10 years up there, I haven't seen one. Just have a plan, and hope for the best.
Thanks bitbit. I always wonder why people want to make french toast during bad weather? (Bread, milk, eggs.)

As for us, we are the family shelter. Whole house generator: Check. Well and septic system: Check. Gas stove and tankless hot water heater: Check. Satellite TV: Check. Backup 4g wireless internet: Check. (Wood stove in Winter: Check)

So long as none of the big oaks around us don't crash on the house, we'll probably have 10 adults and 5 kids camped out here. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 04:21 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I'm in shock mode all day. Is this really happening?>??

Models are now making it stronger and farther inland. A worse case senario is being played out.

Latest Euro run has 10-15 ft of surge up the Hudson River and a Cat 2 into NYC and staying a Cat 1 strength to NH.

It's like I havent had breathing room with any good news...

WARN who you can (dont wait till Friday)...Stock up on food and supplies. power could be out for weeks in many areas.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Will the windows need to be boarded up in West Haven?

Old 08-24-2011, 04:28 PM

This should be the most intense storm most of us ever have experienced

I hope to have better news in the coming days.

I Was on roof with caulking gun filling gaps and leaf blower cleaning gutters. Bought 4 cases of water. I dont even know how

All models have trended west today. GFS, NAM, EURO, UKMET

Old 08-24-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Will the windows need to be boarded up in West Haven?
I heard single pane won t hold 90mph, double pane can. Maybe J.V has insight on this.

West Haven as of right now should get over 90mph wind gusts and maybe sustained at 70

Old 08-24-2011, 04:45 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
All windows are double pane anderson or peachtree casement.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:06 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I heard single pane won t hold 90mph, double pane can. Maybe J.V has insight on this.

West Haven as of right now should get over 90mph wind gusts and maybe sustained at 70
How about inland impacts? Hartford area--how high will the sustained winds get?

Old 08-24-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
How about inland impacts? Hartford area--how high will the sustained winds get?
Hartford could experience hurricane force winds also...

I hope to bring details here..I'm in overload mode right now..

Jim Cantore is in Rhode Island.

NJ could see 130mph winds.

I'm gonna step back...eat something...and tell myself its 4 days away...anything can change

Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Hi from the Caribbean all. We're on a cruise in the southern Caribbean. Our ship left early from PR on Sunday due to the hurricane with an altered itinerary - now they just made an announcement that anyone who lives between NY and Boston (a good percentage of our ship) should consider flying home from St Thomas on Saturday instead of Sunday from PR to make preparations for the hurricane. Now - it's only Wednesday. I'm thinking we should wait 'til Friday to see what happens. Still, lots of folks are switching flights already.

Just logged onto here to see what Cambium and Wave were saying. Looks scary as of now.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Hi from the Caribbean all. We're on a cruise in the southern Caribbean. Our ship left early from PR on Sunday due to the hurricane with an altered itinerary - now they just made an announcement that anyone who lives between NY and Boston (a good percentage of our ship) should consider flying home from St Thomas on Saturday instead of Sunday from PR to make preparations for the hurricane. Now - it's only Wednesday. I'm thinking we should wait 'til Friday to see what happens. Still, lots of folks are switching flights already.

Just logged onto here to see what Cambium and Wave were saying. Looks scary as of now.
Wow! Take pics. You could be seeing the outter bands of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut