Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 07:58 AM

576 posts, read 1,219,217 times

Advertisements

I would assume it be more west
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/preepd/preepd.html

THIS POTENTIALLY COULD BE EXTREMELY DESTRUCTIVE WITH
MASSIVE DISRUPTIONS TO SOCIETY AND COMMERCE ALONG ITS ENTIRE TRACK
WITH VERY HIGH WINDS/STORM SURGE/OCEAN OVERWASH/BEACH
EROSION/SOUND AND BAY SIDE COASTAL FLOODING AND EXTREME TIDE
POTENTIAL.

WIDESPREAD HEAVY RAINS IN THE 6-10 INCH RANGE WILL BE
COMMON WITH GREATLY INCREASED INLAND FLOOD POTENTIAL

Old 08-25-2011, 08:49 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
I hate to say it…but at this point, Irene looks to me like a classic Bahamas to eastern Long Island/eastern Connecticut run…much like Carol (1954), Donna (1960), and Bob (1991). I don't think it will hit west of Fire Island National Seashore/New Haven like Gloria (1985), Belle (1976), or the 1938 Hurricane. I think there is little chance now of a big easterly swing out to sea around the Outer Banks or Delaware Bay. It’s kind of sad, but with the bad economy, the last thing the USA needs is a weather disaster.

One of the other things that is a bit concerning to me that hasn’t been mentioned - no matter what the eventual track of Irene (on the coastal plain, just off shore, 50 miles off shore…etc), as hurricanes gain latitude their intensity comes down to some degree often…but their wind field (the size of the cyclone) increases. Irene is already a large hurricane and it is the deep tropics, I can only imagine how big Irene will grow as it gets north of 30 latitude.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:56 AM

Since it is not going out eastward, let it go farther westward maybe to PA so we dont get the worst but just the outter part of the storm. Not to be mean, but seriously...

Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
Since it is not going out eastward, let it go farther westward maybe to PA so we dont get the worst but just the outter part of the storm. Not to be mean, but seriously...
It could still go out eastward, that's just highly unlikely. It is almost guaranteed to not go much further westward.

Some of the models have been completely bipolar about where they want to place the storm up here. :/

I know people don't want to hear it but TWC has been hyping this up to be similar to the Long Island Express. So it goes, I guess. Get to experience an earthquake and a once-a-century hurricane all in the same week.

Just be glad we have all the time in the world to prepare.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:21 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
LIE was a category 3.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
LIE was a category 3.
And it was FLYING...The weather channel can hype it as that but this will not be a 120 MPH wind speed with 50 MPH forward speed slamming into Long Island. That storm was a freak./.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:26 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Trying to figure out if we should fly home from STT on Saturday, or attempt to get as close as possible to CT on Sunday....or be stuck in the Caribbean for a few days. Bah.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:28 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I hate to say it…but at this point, Irene looks to me like a classic Bahamas to eastern Long Island/eastern Connecticut run…much like Carol (1954), Donna (1960), and Bob (1991). I don't think it will hit west of Fire Island National Seashore/New Haven like Gloria (1985), Belle (1976), or the 1938 Hurricane. I think there is little chance now of a big easterly swing out to sea around the Outer Banks or Delaware Bay. It’s kind of sad, but with the bad economy, the last thing the USA needs is a weather disaster.

One of the other things that is a bit concerning to me that hasn’t been mentioned - no matter what the eventual track of Irene (on the coastal plain, just off shore, 50 miles off shore…etc), as hurricanes gain latitude their intensity comes down to some degree often…but their wind field (the size of the cyclone) increases. Irene is already a large hurricane and it is the deep tropics, I can only imagine how big Irene will grow as it gets north of 30 latitude.

Actually, National Hurricane Center shifted it WAY west on the 11am run......now seems to show landfall on NC mainland (NOT just Outer Banks) as a CAT 3 and it's 2nd landfall on the Delmarva as a Cat 1 or 2.

While not as bad for our area as a "direct hit" (and also means it will weaken a lot more than originally thought before it gets here with more land before it gets here), it definitely puts all of us on the east end of the "wind shield", which is usually the windier side. Note on my link that if you click on "Tropical Storm wind probability" it is starting to get pretty high for here and is higher than in past runs.

It would mean less (but still a LOT) of rain, but a lot more rain west of the eye; so major flooding not as much here but places like upstate NY, east/central PA, etc......a lot like Agnes in 1972 but further west.

It seems to be giving me trouble pasting the image so here's the link (keep in mind at 2pm it will probably update):

Hurricane IRENE

I also noticed that the turn to NNW I mentioned earlier has happened.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 AM

I heard weather channel say Euro model showing Washington DC in direct hit??? hmmmm I can only image that national washington monument blown over since there are crack on it... oh geez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut