Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:35 AM

56 posts, read 172,863 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the advice on what to expect. We have not had to deal with any flooding since living here, even our basement has stayed dry. As far as I know I am not really close to any brooks or wetlands, and I know I am not close to the CT As for loosing power, all I can say is the people who work for the power company here are really amazing. We had some nasty winter storms(you all remember them I am sure) and the power stayed on every time. I was really shocked that we did not loose our power for any length of time during any of the storms we have had since being here.
Where I use to live the power would go out for several hours because of birds sitting on the power lines. I am completely serious, if there was even the threat of a cloud in the sky the power would usually bump or go out for awhile.

Anyway thanks for the heads up on this and I will keep checking back as the week progresses.

For the poster who mentioned their father living in Florida, I will be praying for him and his condo to be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Parts of CT are 600% above normal rainfall for August.

A general range of what models are forecasting for this coming weekend is 5-11 inches of rain from Irene in a 24hr period. This number will become clearer as the days progress.
No tropical winds at all most likely but with all that past rain some areas are gonna flood pretty badly. Definitely a problem and sometimes the flooding rains are more damaging than anything else.

Right now Charleston and Savannah are under the gun and it could be a mighty powerful gun at that. Those areas could be pummeled.

This storm will remind many of Floyd I think up in New England.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:53 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Current Satelite Picture and Path. Winds have increased to 80mph sustained. Landfall now to be between Georgia and South Carolina..maybe even still Miami Florida. Its going to be over really warm waters without any land to weaken it.

My cousin who lives on the East coast of Florida is evacuating tomorrow. She has 4 kids and leaving for a few days.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:59 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmary View Post
For the poster who mentioned their father living in Florida, I will be praying for him and his condo to be safe.

Thank you

He is up here in CT, luckily, so he is safe. I just fear for his condo, especially since he just bought it early this year.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 AM

352 posts, read 781,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I have a vague recollection (?) of Gloria. I was 9, but we lived in central CT so we mostly had wind. That's what I remember - the wind. I'm sure there was rain too, but I just remember sitting on my grandmother's lap on chair in front of the dining room window, watching the wind whipping the trees around.
I remember Gloria too, I was a freshman at UConn. We got the day off (yippee!) and I remember the wind was bad at first, then as soon as the eye passed over it seemed to fall apart. The worst part about the whole thing was we didn't have power for 7 days. Manchester was hit "worse than they realized'.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Just for future reference or for those interested. I started talking about this storm in mid August. I even said dont go to Florida end of this month.
//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...eather-91.html

I'll have some updates on Irene later on. It's all about prep. IMO there should be no deaths weather related. Propertys will always get damaged but people need to stay aware of possibilities.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
I remember Gloria too, I was a freshman at UConn. We got the day off (yippee!) and I remember the wind was bad at first, then as soon as the eye passed over it seemed to fall apart. The worst part about the whole thing was we didn't have power for 7 days. Manchester was hit "worse than they realized'.
I remember Gloria as well. I wanted to go for a walk in it but at 11years old I didnt have too much choice. lol

Lots of videos on it..here's one home video in CT with tv news footage...

After seeing this and remembering I'm going to have to look more into the path Gloria took...Almost looks similar to Irene.

Hurricane Gloria 1985 - YouTube

Wow..Video collection here. http://www.hurricanes-blizzards-nore...NE-GLORIA.html

Old 08-22-2011, 09:22 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
I remember Gloria as well. I wanted to go for a walk in it but at 11years old I didnt have too much choice. lol

Lots of videos on it..here's one home video in CT with tv news footage...

After seeing this and remembering I'm going to have to look more into the path Gloria took...Almost looks similar to Irene.

Hurricane Gloria 1985 - YouTube

Charleston is the bullseye now...keeps pulling East.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Charleston is the bullseye now...keeps pulling East.
Yeah, I dont think Florida is going to get the direct hit...not even georgia...maybe northern SC or even NC now...

Take a look at the path of Gloria and Irene...with Irenes satelite image. Little colored lines are the models projections. Irene is more south than Gloria was.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Yeah, I dont think Florida is going to get the direct hit...not even georgia...maybe northern SC or even NC now...

Take a look at the path of Gloria and Irene...with Irenes satelite image. Little colored lines are the models projections. Irene is more south than Gloria was.
Accuweather is comparing it more to 1996's Hurricane Bertha in temrs of predicted path......while not anything like Gloria for our region, it's center did go directly over NYC into lower southwestern CT as a middle-high end tropical storm and there was flooding and some minor damage and power outages. Wikipedia, under "list of New England hurricanes", said, "Bertha moved into southern New England as a strong tropical storm with 70 mph sustained winds (just under hurricane force) and in some exposed areas gusted to minimal hurricane force in southern Rhode Island and south coastal Massachusetts west of Buzzards Bay. Minor damage but notable in coastal Rhode Island."

AccuWeather.com - Weather News | Hurricane Irene to Slam Into the Carolinas (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/54098/hurricane-irene-to-slam-into-t.asp - broken link)

Like Bertha, Irene directly hit Puerto Rico, which is one reason for Accuweather's speculation. Could be interesting late next weekend......

The last named storm to have its center cross CT was actually Hanna in 2008. Again, like Bertha it went over Puerto Rico as a hurricane, but was only a tropical storm when it landfalled in the Carolinas. While not a noteworthy storm in the US, the strange thing about this storm is that its strongest point on US soil was actually over NY and CT when it had almost restrengthened into a Cat 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Hanna

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 08-22-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut