Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 10:48 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

You'll feel the humidity roll in, don't worry. That's a precursor that hell is on it's way soon.

I'm off to fire up the generator and do a test run, pick up 20-30 gallons of fuel, batten down anything around the yard and off to Clinton either today or tomorrow to help board up the in-laws place.

I think the biggest issue with this storm is going to be the trees. Roads and electricity are going to be a MESS for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 11:03 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
I have been having basement flood issues with the last huge T-storms.......I am not looking forward to Sunday.......I dont know what scares me more......the basement possibly flooding or the 100 mph winds damaging things outside.......ugh........

Old 08-25-2011, 11:06 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I'm going to say NYC will be shut down entirely due to winds and flooding.

The City of New York is suggesting that residents of the city in the Zone A evacuation zone seek safer ground. If the hurricane remains stronger, more evacuation requests or orders may be made. The city has this web address you can use to determine if you're area is in an evacuation zone and what you should do if you are in one. It is possible Zone B in the city may be asked to seek shelter too

If the worst scenario is going to happen this weekend, we will activate other elements of our Coastal Storm Plan, including the possibility of evacuating of New Yorkers who live in low-lying areas that could be affected by such storm surges. That includes places such as Coney Island and Manhattan Beach in Brooklyn, Far Rockaway and Broad Channel in Queens, South Beach, Midland Beach, and other low-lying areas on Staten Island, and Battery Park City in Manhattan.

http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgo...&rc=1194&ndi=1

Old 08-25-2011, 11:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Cam, any news on my (new) area?

I'm really quite terrified.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:13 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,153,802 times
How is it supposed to be Monday morning - like for the work commute?

I know many people will think "if it's bad stay home", but I got reamed for calling out one year when we had 17" of snow and I was literally snowed in until the landlord had the people out to shovel and plow. They really don't care here.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:18 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Cam, any news on my (new) area?

I'm really quite terrified.
Me too, Dandj! This thing has me really worried/scared. I live east of where you are in Worcester. I'm in Framingham, and not sure what the heck to expect...

Old 08-25-2011, 11:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Me too, Dandj! This thing has me really worried/scared. I live east of where you are in Worcester. I'm in Framingham, and not sure what the heck to expect...
Let's hope that it jumps right over us. Or around us.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:05 PM

From By Dr. Jeff Masters of WeatherUnderground. Pic is of Nassau in Bahamas. 10-15 surge on coast.

Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : Irene an extremely dangerous storm surge threat to the mid-Atlantic and New England : Weather Underground

Old 08-25-2011, 12:09 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
^Those poor coconut trees

Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Let's hope that it jumps right over us. Or around us.
This statement is like saying lets hope the storm stops right over us and we're under the calm of the eye forever. Wont happen.

Everyone try to relax...keep yourself & people/pets you love safe.
It's not like a Meteor is coming... Intense Wind & Rain will just change the landscape. Objects are just in the way. Protect what you need and have handy what it takes to survive...we'll be fine.

I dont think there will be work Monday.

These are one of those things we can't stop. It's the power of the Earth we know little about.

We live in our properties - we get to know them. We live on this planet and we're clueless of its capabilities. This area could have gotten these every 2 weeks thousands-millions of years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut