Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2011, 01:58 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

We might all be working from home, if there's power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 02:15 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Me too, Dandj! This thing has me really worried/scared. I live east of where you are in Worcester. I'm in Framingham, and not sure what the heck to expect...
off the topic a bit but whereabouts? i lived off exit 12 at Edgewater Hills from 92-98.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:29 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
I hope not.......
I am so dreading Sunday........ I commute on the Merritt to NY daily......I am wondering what Monday morning will bring. There are A LOT of old trees in wierd angles along the parkway and downed trees are pretty common.......ugh.....
You bring up another good point.

This storm is mostly supposed to hit the area on Sunday, and it's worst Sunday evening. That is one of the quietest days and time of day of the the entire week (short of the middle of the night when most are sleeping).

Imagine if this were happening on a weekday with people trying to go to/from work! People and workplaces are often not so understanding during blizzards, given how rare this kind of event is I can imagine what it would be like. I know many employers (including my own at the time) did let people leave early for Floyd, but mainly because they did this as the flooding and rains and wind were occuring!

Of course the Monday commute could be interesting.....

Old 08-25-2011, 02:30 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,010 times
So, 80 mph wind where I am. Wallingford Electric has a pretty good record in the past (I was a baby here when Gloria hit, and from what I can tell we didn't lose power for long).

House was built in 1900 and I have brand new windows. Up the hill from the reservoir over here up near the center of town. In good shape I think? Opinions?

Old 08-25-2011, 02:32 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
For anyone who's worried about 70-80 mph winds, it's not that bad.

One time a storm came suddenly and it got really windy. Blew the plastic furniture off our deck and over into the neighbor's yard. Some small tree limbs and a lot of twigs came down in the yard. Later on we heard that the winds had been 80 mph. Of course it didn't last very long, would be worse if these were sustained winds and if the storm lasted a long time.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:38 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csiko View Post
So, 80 mph wind where I am. Wallingford Electric has a pretty good record in the past (I was a baby here when Gloria hit, and from what I can tell we didn't lose power for long).

House was built in 1900 and I have brand new windows. Up the hill from the reservoir over here up near the center of town. In good shape I think? Opinions?
I think you'll be fine. I was a kid when Hurricane Gloria came ashore (literally came ashore approximately right where I lived) but I remember it, as I was old enough to be in school. We lost power for over a week, one tree on my entire block came down. We didn't board up windows or anything.

Bottom line: If your basement usually floods, you are in for one hell of a night. If your house is in a low lying area, watch out . If you are directly on the waterfront, boarding up windows may be a good idea.

The rest of us? Have enough supplies to survive a long power outage and pray a tree doesn't come through the house. That's about all we can do!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:46 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
You bring up another good point.

This storm is mostly supposed to hit the area on Sunday, and it's worst Sunday evening. That is one of the quietest days and time of day of the the entire week (short of the middle of the night when most are sleeping).

Imagine if this were happening on a weekday with people trying to go to/from work! People and workplaces are often not so understanding during blizzards, given how rare this kind of event is I can imagine what it would be like. I know many employers (including my own at the time) did let people leave early for Floyd, but mainly because they did this as the flooding and rains and wind were occuring!

Of course the Monday commute could be interesting.....
Yes, that would be afwul.....especially me working in NY and using the Merritt.
Lets hope we all come out if this ok.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:48 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I think you'll be fine. I was a kid when Hurricane Gloria came ashore (literally came ashore approximately right where I lived) but I remember it, as I was old enough to be in school. We lost power for over a week, one tree on my entire block came down. We didn't board up windows or anything.

Bottom line: If your basement usually floods, you are in for one hell of a night. If your house is in a low lying area, watch out . If you are directly on the waterfront, boarding up windows may be a good idea.

The rest of us? Have enough supplies to survive a long power outage and pray a tree doesn't come through the house. That's about all we can do!

I was 16 when Gloria hit. It was bad from what I remember.
I have 2 shop vacs ready to go........

Old 08-25-2011, 02:55 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
According to FEMA the most intense part of it will last 6-10 hrs.

I'm going to say 4-6..Storms usually race off and away faster then anticipated.

I bought extra chain for my chainsaw...I got a feeling I'll be helping neighbors out or on the road somewhere..

Old 08-25-2011, 03:00 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Mandatory evacuation of Cape May County, NJ starting Friday

Mandatory evacuation of Cape May Co. starting Friday ahead of Hurricane Irene | 6abc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut