Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2011, 12:33 AM

754 posts, read 1,018,491 times

Advertisements

So how bad are we thinking for CT? Seems like opinions keep changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 03:36 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,298 times
Not catastrophic but substantial damage possible on the coast, inland??? Trees down possible, maybe some light roof damage, shingles, etc. Low lying areas close to rivers lakes etc may flood more dependent on where eye crosses. For example if eye goes right over Hartford, west of Hartford more rain less wind, opposite east side of Hartford.

Remember this is forecast to be a category 1 for CT, no joke but not catastrophic. Take precautions, secure outside of home, have some cash on hand and fill up vehicles with fuel in case we lose power, I was in hardware store yesterday getting extra bunji cords, kid behind counter said cl&p expects whole state to lose power for 10 days?? I don't think so.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:36 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Still trying to decide whether or not to board up windows in West Haven. No real trees anywhere near house but just about 300 feet from water.

I have tenants in the house and they would be in dark for a couple of days.

I have all boards precut but have never had to use them. I was thinking of waiting until tomorrow morning to see if track changes. Fortunately my house is not in the flood zone.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:02 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
For those in low lying areas, find out your elevation here. Or your elevation relative to a body of water like a river or lake.

Google Maps Find Altitude
FYI, this link had my location off by about 400 feet. I used Delorme Topo software which is dead on accurate and it had me at just shy of 1000'.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:26 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Tropical Storm and Hurricane Watches posted. Click here and scroll down to find your state. Intellicast - Local Weather Forecast, Reports and Maps

5am Update: Irene moving due North now. Winds decreased to 110mph but the pressure is still a crazy 941 which makes no sense... This means she's in rebuilding stage. Lets see if the winds pick up or the pressure increases.

So thats somewhat good news for less intense landfalls.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:30 AM

Re-Posting this...in case someone needs it again.

Good link to keep handy regarding preperations.

Click the "How to" link and then on the left hand side there's a bunch of helpful tips on emergency situations. http://www.fema.gov/hazard/hurricane/hu_before.shtm

Old 08-26-2011, 05:37 AM

Just to give you an idea.. Hurricane force "sustained" winds extend 90 miles from center (red circle).. I used the same circumference and used a Rhode Island Landfal (east of what models are saying)

You can see where the hurricane sustained winds would be... Adjust that circle left or right based on landfall.

And remember...that circumference will change over time...It could expand (but winds less) or contract.

Last edited by Cambium; 08-26-2011 at 05:47 AM..

Old 08-26-2011, 05:44 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Cambium, your 5am update from NHC still seems to have it hugging the coast towards NYC, even more so than last night (when it seemed a little more to the west of here). Though NWS forecast seems to be thinking like the GFS, that the "hurricane conditions" would be late Sat. night into Sun. morning rather than later Sunday. I guess we just have to watch and be vigilant and prepared.

BTW, Cambium, interesting coincidence about the 1944 earthquake vs. the Great Atlantic Hurricane you noted (for those who keep reading that the '44 quake was centered in NY, it was not NYC, it was way up near the Canadian border north of the Adirondacks.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:08 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,681,265 times
I have not read much of the posts here. Too many pages. Anyways I work for the state. They are not allowing people to come and work OT on sunday. My boss says they are expecting the worst and hoping for the best. The center of the storm is suppose to pass right over hartford, but of course that is just a prediction that could change with the blink of an eye.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:13 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,892,517 times
8am update seems to have pushed it a little more east, though just a little. Still moving N at 14 mph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Stop with the hyperbole Cambium. Were talking about a fast moving tropical storm moving through on a Sunday afternoon. I predict less power outages from this than last March's Nor'easter. Ridiculous.
Though I've been noting about "overhype" I wouldn't say that at all! I personally think this will be similar to Floyd, which still means a lot of flooding and power outages, I wouldn't call that storm "catastrophic" for this region, but I'd hardly call it a "bad thunderstorm" either. However, I do think it is obvious there is enough of a chance for this to be a true "hurricane" for the region that the preparations, gov't actions, etc. are not wrong to do. We have our flashlights and radios ready and bought enough (but not a crazy amount) of nonperishable food that doesn't require electricity to prepare, and I also parked my car in a space that is not near any trees and power lines and plan to leave it there (we have one indoor garage space in our condo where the other car is and fortunately we don't have a situation between now and the storm where both I and my wife need to use separate cars so we can use that car today and tomorrow).

I just don't want people to think that in my post about recent Cat 1's and "near hurricanes" that came within 50-75 miles of NYC that I am stating something like the above poster. Far from it!

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 08-26-2011 at 06:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut