Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 06:27 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

NC webcams: Fishing Pier looks like its under water but I didnt see a before shot.

Weather Webcams : Weather Underground
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 06:36 AM

Looking at the radar loop...Irene is making more landfall then thought...Thats more good news for NorthEast.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:38 AM

201 posts, read 727,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noneyabiz View Post
What's the batting cage? A shelter?
FYI - A batting cage is where kids practice hitting baseballs. 1st Baseball uses a warehouse in Norwalk for baseball training. hehe Good Luck w/ the hurricane - I'm packing and going on a 4 hour drive to avoid the storm or at least get to a lighter version of it.

Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 AM

Starting in Southern NJ.. Should start raining by afternoon NYC northward

Old 08-27-2011, 06:52 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
The media is so fricking irresponsible for sending frenzy into the masses. I wonder if these punks will ever stop caring about ratings and simply report news.

Stoking up words like "making landfall", heavy flooding, catastrophe does not help and is mere sabre rattling

Katrina was a category 5. And this is just a category 1 all along, as per current projection. That's the lowest on the simpson scale. I'm betting it's gonna pass fine with some large amount of rainfall and whistling and I'm still going to church tomorrow

Old 08-27-2011, 07:07 AM

This is bringing me nightmare sights of the tsunami, but then our folks weren't pre-warned

The most harrowing sight was the scene of a huge fishing boat serving as a battering ram which was brought by the sea waters inside and it bulldozing every object in its way. Unfortunately, I wasn't home and fortunately, my parents houses were built on much higher ground that the waters were just knee deep.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:12 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
state of emergency, catastrophic damage, record flooding, you can see the meterologists and other journalists eyes light up when they say it, they love this stuff.

Looks more like tropical storm force winds at best inland in CT. More landfall in NC stinks for them, but has to be diminishing Irene quite a bit. Don't know how much it will build back up when it skirts back out over open water.

Coastal CT will still get some flooding probably....we will see some power outages. However listening to conversation Thursday of people saying "we will ALL be without power for 2 weeks" is just absurd.

Be safe, don't take the storm lightly but we will be fine.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
state of emergency, catastrophic damage, record flooding, you can see the meterologists and other journalists eyes light up when they say it, they love this stuff.

Looks more like tropical storm force winds at best inland in CT. More landfall in NC stinks for them, but has to be diminishing Irene quite a bit. Don't know how much it will build back up when it skirts back out over open water.

Coastal CT will still get some flooding probably....we will see some power outages. However listening to conversation Thursday of people saying "we will ALL be without power for 2 weeks" is just absurd.

Be safe, don't take the storm lightly but we will be fine.
CNBC just showed an animation graphic o the projected flooding of the NYC and the tunnels

And they add the disclaimer - "not to scare anyone"

Yea, that's right.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:30 AM

Short term memories. Power was out for 5 days in CT after a NorEaster wind storm March 2010 which sent trees down from Fairfield County to Westchester county. Wind gusts were just 45-55mph. "Gusts"

Rell Expresses Frustration to CL&P Over Storm Recovery - WestportNow.com - Westport, Connecticut

Oh...P.S -- No leaves were on the trees then.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:39 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Short term memories. Power was out for 5 days in CT after a NorEaster wind storm March 2010 which sent trees down from Fairfield County to Westchester county. Wind gusts were just 45-55mph. "Gusts"

Rell Expresses Frustration to CL&P Over Storm Recovery - WestportNow.com - Westport, Connecticut

Oh...P.S -- No leaves were on the trees then.
Yes, good to remind people of that one as I think the biggest impact of this storm will be power outages, followed by flooding.

But I do have to wonder if a Cat 1 in NC will actually stay that strength all the way to here. The 8am "Cone" map from the National Hurricane Center even shows it as a Cat 1 on the CT/MA border, well inland (in fact, the Weather Channel version of this graphic shows it as a Cat 1 on the MA/VT border......I mean, has there every really been a Cat 1 hurricane over VERMONT? I would think it would've needed to be a "4" in NC to pull that off......even if it hits LI as Cat 1, once it's in inland CT it will weaken). I know this is a big storm in physical size (which produces nice gusts by the way....storm was "only" 85 mph at landfall but did record a 115 mph gust), but still......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut