Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 01:11 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times

Advertisements

11 yr old boy becomes 4th victim of irene....died as a result of tree falling onto apt in va
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 01:13 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
Cambium,

No such thing as overload. I'm not even checking weather.com anymore...I keep checking here. Thanks, you missed your true calling!

Old 08-27-2011, 01:24 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,688,340 times
Had $1800 repair bill to yard & pool from 5" rain in one hour in start if July. Multiple sink holes in slope undermined pool & its deck.Curtain drain installed in slope between rear edge of yard and pool, daylighting out on side of home toward hill- directed toward street storm drain. Really hoping the mudslide thing doesn't happen again!!!

Late husband had most of the tall dangerous trees removed, hoping it wont be bad.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:28 PM

17 posts, read 26,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
http://www.ct.gov/demhs/lib/demhs/weather/current_weather_updates/situation_report_8_24_aug_2011_hurricane_irene_08-27-11_1200_hrs.pdf (broken link)

MUNICIPALITIES WHICH HAVE DECLARED STATE OF EMERGENCY
Stratford
North Branford
Naugatuck
Rocky Hill
East Lyme
Norwalk
Old Saybrook
Hartford
Fairfield
Westport
Bridgeport
Plymouth
Waterford
Greenwich

EVACUATIONS
Darien – low lying areas
North Branford - Voluntary
Tolland – Mandatory at Noon
Guilford – Voluntary
New Haven – Mandatory by 3pm
Madison - Voluntary
Old Saybrook – Voluntary
Waterford – Voluntary
West Haven – Voluntary
New London- Voluntary
Bridgeport Juvenile Detention Center Old Lyme - Voluntary
Milford – Voluntary
Stonington – Voluntary
West Haven – Voluntary
East Lyme - Voluntary
New Haven – Mandatory for low lying areas
Groton City – Voluntary
Clinton – Voluntary
Bridgeport – Voluntary
Greenwich – Mandatory (Coastal)
Stratford – Voluntary
Westport – Voluntary
Westbrook – Voluntary
Plainville – Voluntary
Newtown – Low lying areas
Bridgeport – Mandatory
just wondering would there be a specific reason tolland has a mandatory evacuation? I mean it is pretty inland and not close to any water areas(?) Is it because it is east storm eye (As projected) and will suffer higher winds?

Old 08-27-2011, 01:29 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
11 yr old boy becomes 4th victim of irene....died as a result of tree falling onto apt in va
Thats really sad... hope nobody in Connecticut get any death.

There is a huge 200 year old tree nexts to my house that seems about 6/7 story high... for some reason I have a good feeling that she will made it through like many other hurricane and other bad storms in the past. I remember when Floyd came not even branches were fallen. So I'm sure it maybe happened again, but if not I dont see it fallen down but some branches breaking off are possible. Another tree I hope it wont fall is a mature Mimosa tree, too innocent to fall. I HOPE she will stand. Mimosa tree is my fave tree being grown here and I be very mad to see all those pink flowers being flown away and the tropical look it brings on my street

Old 08-27-2011, 01:31 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourct View Post
Had $1800 repair bill to yard & pool from 5" rain in one hour in start if July. Multiple sink holes in slope undermined pool & its deck.Curtain drain installed in slope between rear edge of yard and pool, daylighting out on side of home toward hill- directed toward street storm drain. Really hoping the mudslide thing doesn't happen again!!!

Late husband had most of the tall dangerous trees removed, hoping it wont be bad.
Are those trees wind resistant because normally Oaks and Sycamore trees and sycamore roots gose really deep...

Old 08-27-2011, 01:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Our yard is wooded - we have over a dozen trees in the back, and half a dozen in the front/front-side. The only thing we can -really- hope for at this point, is complete and total destruction of our home so we can rebuild from scratch, the right way..

or that we won't get any damage at all.

Minimal damage isn't going to be of much use to us.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:37 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Our yard is wooded - we have over a dozen trees in the back, and half a dozen in the front/front-side. The only thing we can -really- hope for at this point, is complete and total destruction of our home so we can rebuild from scratch, the right way..

Well thats an interesting way to look at it

Old 08-27-2011, 01:46 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
cnn reports nearly 1 million now without power...

Old 08-27-2011, 01:49 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

lol... I thought about that...thought about drawing blueprints.

Also was thinking how many homes will be left damaged because people dont have the deductable or insurance or money to fix it up..

20 Stories up and more winds will be stronger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut