Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 05:32 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

I take back what I said about this storm being nothing. Not because I have no power now but because I drove around and saw the mess. CL&P has 51% of their customers out. A rep told me the eastern part of the state got hit the hardest.

So Irene definetly left her mark. I feel lost without the net. Not giving into a generator just yet. I got my 110v adaptor charging my phone and laptop.

The 1st half of irene caused coastal flooding the second half caused more tree / wire damage then the morning.

Cities like Bethany, branford, east Hampton, East Haddom, ridgfield, Guilford and more have 100% of the town with no power. Not just a street or a neighborhood...an entire citiy is out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 05:34 AM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Enough with stupid cards already !
LOOOL

Old 08-29-2011, 05:39 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I take back what I said about this storm being nothing. Not because I have no power now but because I drove around and saw the mess. CL&P has 51% of their customers out. A rep told me the eastern part of the state got hit the hardest.

So Irene definetly left her mark. I feel lost without the net. Not giving into a generator just yet. I got my 110v adaptor charging my phone and laptop.

The 1st half of irene caused coastal flooding the second half caused more tree / wire damage then the morning.

Cities like Bethany, branford, east Hampton, East Haddom, ridgfield, Guilford and more have 100% of the town with no power. Not just a street or a neighborhood...an entire citiy is out.

I'm usually one to downplay storms, but yes, Irene was worse than just a typical storm. People who were unaffected are very lucky. If they get out and drive around the state (IF they can, a lot of roads are still closed) they will see firsthand just how badly we were affected. Most everyone in my neighborhood lost at least one tree, and from what I am hearing from others and seeing on TV we were among the lucky.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:06 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Marlborough, Bolton, Hebron, East Hampton are all 100% without power...not one house or business has electricity. Glastonbury is 94% dark this morning. I had to attempt three different routes to get to work because of downed trees and there are no working traffic lights in Glastonbury (Hebron Ave, Main St, all dark).

We got whacked hard by the wind. I am in my office now and most of East Hartford and downtown Hartford are all with power.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:19 AM

220 posts, read 525,195 times
We seem to have missed most of the worst of it in New Haven, at least compared to what I've just read about East Haven and Madison. One-third of households without power (including mine - big tree fell right around the corner and knocked it out sometime before 7 am on Sunday), but most of downtown and the Yale campus seem to be fine. Most of the flooding was on the East Haven border. Lots of branches everywhere and a few downed trees, but we were lucky.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:24 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,902 times
weird day.. never lost electricity or UVerse service through the worst of the storm. it wasn't until Irene was pretty much gone (6:30p or so?) that UVerse decided to crap out on me - all 3 services. i was basically deaf and blind the rest of the night without internet or TV so it was a good time to catch up on some DVD's.
anybody else lose UVerse? ATT knows about the problem but i don't think anybody was working on it last night since it was still out this morning. hopefully will be back on when i get home tonight.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 AM

201 posts, read 381,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
weird day.. never lost electricity or UVerse service through the worst of the storm. it wasn't until Irene was pretty much gone (6:30p or so?) that UVerse decided to crap out on me - all 3 services. i was basically deaf and blind the rest of the night without internet or TV so it was a good time to catch up on some DVD's.
anybody else lose UVerse? ATT knows about the problem but i don't think anybody was working on it last night since it was still out this morning. hopefully will be back on when i get home tonight.
I didn't lose Uverse, but don't have any AT&T Cell coverage in Fairfield....
It was fine once I got out of my area....

Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

I too started out yesterday thinking "hype" (but not too much, my take was this was "Floyd redux", I didn't think this was simply a "long thunderstorm" either) but after reading your post (saw mkiv's picture, didn't realize it was that bad in coastal central CT) and see the flooding in places it wasn't expected like VT and the Catskills (where it honestly looked worse than in some of the Westchester and Fairfield towns, bad as that looked), I think this was still a significant storm and I'm sure the NHS will "retire" the name.

It perhaps should be a warning as to what it could be like if something like a Cat 2 actually went on the same path......

I hope all who lost lights get them back soon, we had a brief outage for just a few minutes again at about 8pm last night, but that was it. With cool sunny weather and almost no wind, they should be working all out to get the power back.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
Yes I am in glastonbury been without powersince about 7am yesterday, bored, surfinng the net on my droid and every so often let it charge up in my truck. Also noticed a new water stain in my bedroom, we had new roof put on my townhouse development 5 years ago, they better come fix it, I have no clue when we will get power, but across the street from me had it last night so maybe by tonight??

Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
Its not just Uverse. I have cox and they all went down AFTER the storm. I am in south windsor. I talked to some people at work and they also lost phone/internet around 6 at night and a few of them were direct tv or comcast. It must be a major router that took a hit and not the cable companies themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut