Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Its not just Uverse. I have cox and they all went down AFTER the storm. I am in south windsor. I talked to some people at work and they also lost phone/internet around 6 at night and a few of them were direct tv or comcast. It must be a major router that took a hit and not the cable companies themselves.
good info.. thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 08:03 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Reports from Yesterday.

National Weather Service Text Product Display

Highest wind gust Bridgeport, 63mph.
Highest rain total: Monroe, 7.40 inches
highest sustained Wind speed: Bridgeport, 43mph.

I cannot imagine a Cat 1 or 2 in the area.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
A Cat 1 probably would have washed away most of the coast. Extra 5' of storm surge. More houses off their foundations. Triple or quadruple the trees down and houses damaged by trees. Keep in mind the state got half the rain expected. Flash floods everywhere, extreme river flooding. Way more outages. Would have been BAD. We're really lucky it went more west than expected.

So again, given the coastal battering in Milford and East Haven seen - nothing like that in those spots since 1938, right? A friend said Gloria did not whip the sound up like that and happened at low tide.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:24 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
A Cat 1 probably would have washed away most of the coast. Extra 5' of storm surge. More houses off their foundations. Triple or quadruple the trees down and houses damaged by trees. Keep in mind the state got half the rain expected. Flash floods everywhere, extreme river flooding. Way more outages. Would have been BAD. We're really lucky it went more west than expected.

So again, given the coastal battering in Milford and East Haven seen - nothing like that in those spots since 1938, right? A friend said Gloria did not whip the sound up like that and happened at low tide.
Yup...Yup...Yup.

Here's a list of the outages in text format since the map is not being displayed from demand overload.

http://www.cl-p.com/outage/mobile.aspx

Old 08-29-2011, 08:37 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Yeah, there's talk on Facebook from residents that have lived in Milford for 40-50+ years that the coast has never been hammered like that in all their time there. Don't even want to think what a Cat 1 would have done.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:25 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
One thing not to lose sight of is the fact that this storm was huge in size and relatively slow moving, resulting in a longer exposure to the wind and rain. So while the sustained winds weren't that high, the cumulative effect made the resulting damage greater and across a wider area than from a typical size hurricane. I remember Gloria only lasting about 6 hours, Irene was at least double that.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:41 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
Did CT get hit worse than NY, or is CT Power just that much worse than Con Ed? I am frankly amazed at how many people here in Westchester still have power. We're within 1 mile of the coast and sure, many parts got flooded but no way did over half of our state lose power.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:52 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
^ most people in Connecticut have power. My power never went off, either.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:17 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
Did CT get hit worse than NY, or is CT Power just that much worse than Con Ed? I am frankly amazed at how many people here in Westchester still have power. We're within 1 mile of the coast and sure, many parts got flooded but no way did over half of our state lose power.
Doubt one power company is better or worse than another. The parts of Connecticut where power is out probably have more trees and above ground lines than Westchester. As for things like internet and cable tv - if they're running through above ground lines - and the lines go down - the service will not be restored until the lines are restored. With cell phones - when the towers go down - you lose your service. Reckon most cell towers did ok (takes more than a tree falling on them to bring them down). Robyn

Old 08-29-2011, 02:21 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
^ most people in Connecticut have power. My power never went off, either.
As of now - over 500,000 CP&L customers (45%) don't have power:

Outage Maps

So although most CP&L customers do have power - an awful lot don't. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut