Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Ny & CT dont equate good like that. NY is huge compared to CT, so while a small corner of NY got hit pretty much ALL of CT got hit. Plus simply because it is so big NY is better equipped to handle something of this magnitude than CT can be. NY has areas uneffected where they can draw labor from to help put things back together, CL&P doesn't. In CT this was a statewide storm. I live on the water in Norwalk & only lost power for a couple hours Sunday morning. Worst thing hapenned to me in the storm was some scumbag robbed my truck & my wifes car. Woke up Sunday with both my GPSes gone & my wife left her wallet in her car so they got that too. Its our faults to a degree for not locking them up but theyre not on the street, theyre behind the house. Anyway we filed a report & I expect we werent the only ones in the neighborhood to get hit.
In terms of statistics like over half of CT had power out and only a small fraction of NY as a state did that is true, but I'm not sure what's so different about CL&P vs. Con Ed or any other utility to make it "harder". They both basically have a region, infrastructure, etc. so the size of state boundaries shouldn't matter. I'm not sure why Con Ed did so much better this time, historically they're not too good with blackouts either. In fact, this is the first time in the 9 years I've owned this condo that a storm like this didn't knock out our lights, I honestly feel quite lucky......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 09:12 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
My tenant in Milford today tells me they had a mandatory evac. Condo is close to water but far enough. No damage there.

CLP still have 470,000 without power. Will be 2 days in morning. I honestly can get used to this but when I saw a worker stand by his bucket truck for 3 hours....it boiled me over. My street was just 300 yards away.

There's no order- no urgency.

I got my walkway solar lights inside. Bright stars outside. A cool night. And a future low electric bill.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 PM

Flood statement
national weather service albany ny
1136 pm edt mon aug 29 2011
the flood warning continues for
the housatonic river at stevenson dam.
* until late wednesday night.
* at 10 pm monday the stage was 15.5 feet.
* flood stage is 11 feet.
* moderate flooding is occurring and moderate flooding is forecast.
* the river is forecast to continue to fall to below flood stage
after 11 pm wednesday.
* impact...at 15 feet...numerous homes in the maples area of shelton
are affected

Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Couple of heads up and since its still down south this shouldnt scare anyone.

Irene is bombing out..It will be a Cat 4 maybe by the 11pm update. The concern I have is it might want to stay over the warmer waters "off" the coast and keep moving north...That might make it a Cat 5 and that would mean a rare Cat 3 into NYC. I hear the prayers starting.

Another note....... We cant compare Irene to Gloria anymore. Irene is bigger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixum View Post
"the storm of a lifetime"

thats what the weather channel is calling this thing
Do you work for the Weather Channel Cambium?

I enjoy your posts and I find them very informative. I also occassionally like a good snowstorm in the winter as you do. And man do I get the impression you actually enjoy these storms. My only complaint is that your wording tends to a bit more alarmist than it need be.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:29 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post

I think I will cross out all coastal low level towns from our next property hunt.
Towns? Why? You do know that there are hills and elevation changes in all coastal CT towns? Just don't live in a flood zone. My house stayed dry as a bone and I'm a short walk to the beach.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:31 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Here is a quick vid we took last night. We ventured to Milford. We took this from that walk over bridge at the harbor. It is facing towards the Stonebridge resturaunt. It was pretty crazy around there.
VIDEO0030 - YouTube
That's nothing. Did you see the coast, Gulf Beach, Point Beach, Bayview etc. around noonish? Insane.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:13 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
That's nothing. Did you see the coast, Gulf Beach, Point Beach, Bayview etc. around noonish? Insane.
No,I have not. Any footage? Was it bad?

Old 08-30-2011, 04:33 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
We are the only people we know that did not lose power, aside from our neighbors of course. It's amazing how civilization has almost shut down with stores/schools/etc closed, and trying to drive anywhere is frustrating with all the trees and power lines closing roads. I don't remember anything like this after Gloria or Floyd. I will be happy when it all gets back to normal.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:02 AM

576 posts, read 1,219,022 times
I think Connecticut should put all power-lines in the ground in wooded areas

Old 08-30-2011, 05:55 AM

15-20 CL-P trucks sitting at Wendys again. Bunch of guys standing around BSing and laughing. There's no urgency. I pulled up to them. One older guy gives me a dirty look, another (young) guy answered my questions. They said there are trees still on wires and they were waiting for the list of things to do.

ARE YOU KIDDING? They should have a list from 2 days ago. Wake up, have 10 minute breakfast, go to work!

I don't have good internet access..can someone find out who over sees the power company in CT? I know PowerofNY oversees ConEd.

This is unacceptable for all of us. There's no urgency at all. I got good video of them.

Edit: No they had no breakfast in hand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut