Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 06:10 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
15-20 CL-P trucks sitting at Wendys again. Bunch of guys standing around BSing and laughing. There's no urgency. I pulled up to them. One older guy gives me a dirty look, another (young) guy answered my questions. They said there are trees still on wires and they were waiting for the list of things to do.

ARE YOU KIDDING? They should have a list from 2 days ago. Wake up, have 10 minute breakfast, go to work!

I don't have good internet access..can someone find out who over sees the power company in CT? I know PowerofNY oversees ConEd.

This is unacceptable for all of us. There's no urgency at all. I got good video of them.

Edit: No they had no breakfast in hand
Why are you blaming those guys?
You think they can just go out on their own looking for something to do?
Get pissed at the ones that give them their marching orders if you think there's too much time being wasted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:01 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,279 times
I will say this for Con Ed - I saw them the day before the storm driving street to street in my area (Westchester) looking for branches to cut down in advance that might cause problems once Irene hit - and I live on a small, dead-end street. They also have a list of streets in our area posted on their site where they plan to do some major cutting away from the lines. Perhaps they are just more proactive? They did say that they also brought in hundreds of workers from out of state in advance.

Either way, I think they have been fantastic here. Like 7 Wishes said, I've lost power in a minor thunderstorm before, but besides 5-6 surges we were fine. Hoping you guys get some relief soon!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:29 AM

4 posts, read 5,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
No,I have not. Any footage? Was it bad?
Here are two:

Fort Trumbull:

Ft Trumbull.MOV - YouTube

Walnut Beach, featuring some morons:

Walnut.MOV - YouTube

Old 08-30-2011, 08:05 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelic_Avalon View Post
I think Connecticut should put all power-lines in the ground in wooded areas
Amen to that...that's what I'm used to from the Midwest. Probably prohibitive costs though

Old 08-30-2011, 08:56 AM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
No,I have not. Any footage? Was it bad?
These houses are ruined, as are many on the coast.

Hurricane Irene- Melba St., Milford, CT 8-28-11.mp4 - YouTube

Old 08-30-2011, 09:36 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Why are you blaming those guys?
You think they can just go out on their own looking for something to do?
Get pissed at the ones that give them their marching orders if you think there's too much time being wasted.
Oh no, not blaming the workers at all..its the supervisor. The coordinator. The operations manager, the company itself for lack or urgency. Rep was on the phone with me saying they are all working hard out there...I wish I called her with skype to show her.

I don't mind having no electric but things need to be done right. Will they be like this for a hurricane too? It would be months without power.

There's some poor elderly person who needs it-and they have no clue what to do.
Standing around 3 hrs watching the tree guys? They could have fixed multiple streets in that time!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:13 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,184 times
Cambuium I agree with ya. I've noticed many dangerous situations since Irene struck, notified power co. and have YET to see them come out and do a THING!
This is strange! It's like the storm didn't hit us at all, the way the power co is acting!
That's sad about Milford homes, our friend's brother used to live out that way.. nice town... poor things...
They didn't give us much warning at all either, on the local TV channels. Not everyone's got Weather Channel you know, even those with basic cable may not!
Yeah, the workers for the public utilities co shudn't be STANDING around BSing, after a major hurricane! People are without power, running out of food, have no lights at nite.. etc...
This is going to end up in a disaster for many folks who didn't even have a tree hit their house!
CL&P get on the stick! Get' er done! People need your help!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:16 PM

521 posts, read 1,151,184 times
Default It don't surprise me or make me think surfers are morons who go out in these waves

After all, surfers are used to dangerous water conditions, that's what MAKES them good surfers.

What's really crazy, is I saw all these ppl out in the STORM itself, picking up small tree limbs off their yards, like it was so awful & horrible some limbs fell in their yards!
Seeing how long that tremendous wind lasted, I think they were only putting their lives in danger, not cleaning up their properties!

Old 08-30-2011, 01:19 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
You could never surf the water we had. Too much churn, rip tides, rapid succesion, etc. You wouldn't come out alive, no matter how good of a swimmer you are. Surfers surf big waves, but they are big, gradual waves that have a high interval of time in-between them. The water for this was violent.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:08 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
They didn't give us much warning at all either, on the local TV channels. Not everyone's got Weather Channel you know, even those with basic cable may not!
I don't know what part of the state you are in but the NYC local stations literally pre-empted EVERYTHING from Saturday morning to about 7pm Sunday with nothing but Irene coverage. I understand warnings and preparation but this was a little over the top. It wasn't just the major network affiliates but even channels 9 and 11 doing it (OK 11 stopped at 4pm instead of 7pm Sunday, but still ......for those not in the NYC TV zone, the CT equivalent of Channel 9 is a station called "My TV 9" which is New Haven channel 59 to give you an idea, although years ago NY's channel 9 attempted to be a national "superstation" a la WTBS or Chicago's WGN).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut