Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 06:08 AM

137 posts, read 177,315 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband has taken a sales job in Rocky Hill. He is now living there in an apartment and we plan to move the rest of the family (Mom, 8 and 5 year olds) up to CT in the Spring.

My husband has been driving around and checking out areas and so far he/we like glastonbury, farmington and maybe avon/simsbury becasue of the schools and the shopping amenities.

Here is my concern. In Baltimore county (not Baltimore City) where we live now, everyone sends their kids to private school. It is totally about status, that is the first question anyone will ask you, where do your kids go to school. Nobody really cares where you live as long as your kid goes to an expensive private school. We live in an upscale neighborhood and the public schools are not bad at all but everyone sends there kids to private school, all different private schools. There is a higharchy to the private schools as well, religious schools are less desirable (because the tuition is less I imagine) than other more expensive private schools. It directly relates to your status. I want to avoid this situation when we move to CT.

It seems like the areas we like near Rocky Hill are the more upscale, snooty areas and I do not want to be judged when I send my kids to public school. This is a deal breaker for me.

So what are nice areas with great public schools around Hartford where everyone sends their kids to public schools? We have a budget of around 500,000 and like to be close to everything.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 07:05 AM

10 posts, read 18,477 times
I grew up in South Windsor, which has a great school system, and would say that maybe 5% go to private school. Almost everyone I work with who grew up in CT went to public school.

I hope not to offend anyone by saying this, but to be honest, unless your going to Loomis Chaffee, I'm not sure what the point is of going private in CT...unless you are from Hartford itself or one of the other few cities with poor schooling.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:10 AM

6,139 posts, read 5,111,368 times
We live in West Hartford, and while there are some who send their children to private schools (e.g. Renbrook, Kingswood-Oxford, Watkinson) they are by far in the minority. I concur with the previous poster...people put a premium here on school districts. If you are investing in the housing cost and property tax that goes along with a good school district, there is no perceived value (religious preferences aside) of going to a private school.

For your budget you should have ample choice in very good school districts in this area.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:18 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,425,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
If you are investing in the housing cost and property tax that goes along with a good school district, there is no perceived value (religious preferences aside) of going to a private school.

For your budget you should have ample choice in very good school districts in this area.
Agreed. The majority of people send their children to public school in this area, which is why you will see the more affordable (read: cheaper) housing prices appear to be a in a town/city, the more likely the schools stink as compared to surrounding towns.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:27 AM

17 posts, read 46,335 times
You're in luck! No one cares about private schools in CT. Well, a very small minority of people do. But as other posters have mentioned, people move to a town based on how good their public schools are. And with the towns you mentioned - Avon, Simsbury, Farmington, Glastonbury, Rocky Hill - you should be fine. All have excellent schools and are nice suburban communities for kids. Since you mentioned the need for shopping amenities and being close to everything, throw West Hartford into that mix, you might like it as well.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:59 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
I agree. Most people here care less about private schools because the public schools are so good here. We live in Glastonbury and know many different families. They range from modest blue collar immigrants to millionaires. We were at the high school last night for orientation and it amazed me the diverse group of parents there were. Jay

Old 08-24-2011, 08:33 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,115,027 times
I don't think anyone is going to care in that area. Even the people that send their kids to private schools realize that the public schools are pretty solid and have no snobbery about it. The ones that do are a minority.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:52 AM

137 posts, read 177,315 times
Thank you all so much for your replies. Here in Baltimore there is a mentality that if a school performs well it must be because they are "teaching to the test".

Yeah, I can send my kids to public schools when we move to CT. Believe me spending a couple of extra 100.00 dollars on clothes so my kids fit in beats 20,000 a year plus in private school tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut