Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 08:36 AM

3 posts, read 6,462 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to CT in a year or so, and was hoping to get some feedback on these forums!

Here's some background info that might be helpful:
I am a young (29) single mom who is currently living and working in my hometown in Maine. However, until losing my job few months ago, I lived in NYC (2000-2011). I also have a young son, who is 4 months old.

It's obvious that NYC is not the best place for me to raise my son, especially as a single mom. I made decent money there, but not enough to raise him on my own.

However, the culture shock from NYC to Maine is significant, and I'd like to find a place that is a happy medium- price-wise and in other ways. I've spent a fair amount of time in CT for business over the years, and it seems like there a few medium-sized cities (i.e. Stamford) that might work well for us. I am interested in (eventually) being able to purchase a moderately-priced 2BR condo in a good school district, and being close enough to NYC that we could take MetroNorth or Amtrak on the weekends. I can drive, but don't want to live someplace where daily driving is required.

Employment-wise, I am pretty flexible. I am fortunate to have advanced in a field that always has openings, and that offers a reasonable salary. In addition, I may be self-employed at the time I move to CT (provided the demand is there.)

So, suggestions? Any (somewhat) affordable towns or cities near Amtrak/MN that have good schools?

Last edited by eastcostmom; 08-28-2011 at 08:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,108,607 times
What is your budget? Do you prefer coastal or woodsy settings? City, suburban or rural? Lots of amenities and activity, or quiet?

Any of the coastal towns from Greenwich to New Haven are easy to get to NYC on weekends. You can drive, take train or do a combination. I live in Milford and usually just drive - takes me 55 minutes to get to the northern tip of Manhattan without traffic. Even the Danbury area is about 90 minutes into Manhattan, either by car (which can be closer to an hour with no traffic) or by Metro North from Brewster.

Really need to know budget, as the closer you get to NYC - the more expensive in a very big way. That 2BR condo could cost you $600,000 or $175,000 depending on where you are.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 AM

I absolutely love the ocean, so would prefer a city or town with easy access to the beach- but that isn't mandatory. I also would prefer more of an urban rather than rural feel. I'm currently looking at Stamford, Norwich, etc. (both of which seem to have condos within my price range- up to about $300k.) What's most important is a good school district for my son- I am willing to be quite flexible in exchange for that.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Do you mean Norwalk? Norwich is quite far from NYC and is inland.

I would not recommend Norwalk due to the schools not being great. Stamford schools are better. They're not rated as highly as many in CT, but I've heard good things from people that have gone there. You're definitely stretching it at $300k, but if you're OK with a modest place - more power to you.

At $300k, you could get a condo in Fairfield - which has better schools than Stamford. It's more suburban but has plenty going on. Plenty of good restaurants, a few good bars, 2 colleges nearby. Much nicer, sandier beaches than Stamford too. The beaches get much better as you go east. Great town.

My 2nd recommendation would be Milford. Grade schools are very highly rated, high schools are about average on test scores - a lot of this I believe to be a result of more economic diversity as other metrics of the schools are above average for the state. Your money will go furthest in Milford, and you'll get a really nice place for $300,000. Milford has the most coastline of any CT town or city with something like 11 beaches, including a state park with a boardwalk. The downtown is small, but very active with some great bars and restaurants. Excellent singles scene, especially in the summer. I'd say Milford doesn't have the nightlife of Stamford, but easily eclipses Fairfield. And you're close to New Haven, which has the most concentrated nightlife in all of CT.

I would say you can't go wrong with Stamford, Fairfield or Milford. Just know that schools, in order of good to not as good are Fairfield, Milford, Stamford. And prices from high to low go Stamford, Fairfield, Milford.

All 3 have easy access to NYC.

You should visit them to get a true feel for what they offer.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the recommendations! And yes, I meant Norwalk .

I will definitely make several visits to each town over the next year or so. I travel to NYC and throughout New England fairly frequently, so it would just mean an extra stop or two on my "regular" Amtrak routes.

As far as nightlife/things to do, I'm happy with a few good restaurants and maybe a couple of good bookstores/cinemas. I love the cultural attractions that NYC has to offer, but again, I could gladly save that for the occasional weekend trip w/ my son.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:29 PM

I think you will like Milford and Fairfield. Again, your money will go much further and the quality of education is great. I know people with kids in both systems and they're all very happy.

I like that I can hop in a car and be in NYC in an hour on a weekend, or go 15 minutes and enjoy the much smaller, but culturally rich amenities in New Haven.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:01 PM

576 posts, read 1,219,512 times
Any large town and urban areas in Fairfield county would be good, as mentioned above... Maybe West Haven, CT can be your other option as well.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:04 AM

521 posts, read 1,151,528 times
What is west Haven like Angelic? Nice? Low crime rate? Met some folks from there recently, seemed like very decent folks.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMarley View Post
What is west Haven like Angelic? Nice? Low crime rate? Met some folks from there recently, seemed like very decent folks.
I don't personally care for it. There are very nice parts in the north, and along the coast. Most of West Haven is dumpy. It's not called "Waste Haven" for nothing. The parts bordering New Haven are disgusting. You can see along Route 1 when you go from Orange in West Haven as it starts to look really gross. The taxes are on the high side, and schools are poor. Crime is moderate. I would not choose to live there unless I was renting in one of the nicer sections. Would never buy.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:14 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
I briefly lived in West Haven. It is the least desirable city in that area, also nicknamed "Waste Haven" by locals. It has its nice sections but many not so nice ones. Crime and taxes are higher than surrounding suburbs and schools are not as good, hence the reputation of being less desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut