Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:27 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Keep in mind that any home will sell for the right price, no matter what the town. Personally I would choose Manchester over Meriden but Newington would be my first choice of the three. Only you can decide if Manchester is the right town for you. Keep in mind that it is usually harder to sell a 2 bedroom home so you may want to think a bit before jumping into a house with only 2 bedrooms.

As for condo complexes having multiple units for sale, it is not unusual particularly in the larger ones like Glen Oaks in Newington. That complex has 462 units so having 5 to 10 units for sale there is not a lot. Jay
Speaking of Glen Oaks....do you know anything good/bad about it? I see there are several listings there, and they look pretty impressive, from what I see online. Do you think they are easier to re-sell than other comparable complexes? Do you think it is wiser to invest in a house in Manchester or a condo in Newington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 09:33 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
It is pretty hard to say which would be a better investment. Glen Oaks is certainly a good complex. I remember whn I was single and looking for a condo during one of the better real estate times, units there sold very quickly (literally within hours). Then again so did any well priced single family homes.

I think you need to decide which lifestyle better suits you, the freedom of mqaintenace-free condo living or the privacy and independence of single-family home ownership. In a condo, you do not have to do yard work and could pretty much take off without a lot of worries when you want. Plus there are the amenitites like the pool and clubhouse. But you do give up privacy when you live in a condo and you have to live by the rules of the complex. There are also the association dues eachc month which can add up.

In a house you decide about maintenance and as long as you do not disturb your neighbors you do not have rules to live by. From what you have posted in the past, I think you might be better suited to the house but again it is your decision. Jay

Old 09-05-2011, 03:11 AM

941 posts, read 1,803,439 times
I would go a little farther out toward the countryside if your hopeful house is in town or city, to buy more house (with garage) rather than pressing for the gratification of this particular house that may cost less because of its odd location and missing tooth.
The housing market is flooded with homes right now.. you will soon be smitten by another.. fortitude!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Another criteria of mine is to have a house/condo with at least a partially finished, heated basement. Is the square footage of finished basement area included in the regular square footage number? I don't think so, but just checking.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 AM

The basement should not be included but you need to look carefully at the listing. Some Realtors do include it but it has to say so in the listing. Jay

Old 09-05-2011, 11:04 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,059,998 times
A finished basement is often included in the square footage, especially in newer complexes. In older complexes where the basement has been finished after the fact by the owner sometimes is not included. Perhaps to avoid taxation on the extra space.

The complex I bought in that was new included the finished basement portions in all their square footage listings, from marketing materials to the MLS listings. When I sold my townhouse, I included it as well.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:50 PM

Today I drove by a house in Manchester as well as through the Glen Oaks complex in Newington. I have very mixed feelings about both places.

The house in Manchester seemed to be in a decent area on a quiet street, but the house itself didn't look as good as it does in the pictures online. The driveway was very old and cracked and needed resurfacing. The exterior of the house looked like it needed a paint job, too. And the road itself was in horrible condition, with potholes and cracks everywhere. Overall I would say it was just okay, but whenever I drive by a house in Manchester to look, I just get the vibe that I wouldn't realy fit into this town for some reason. My mother isn't crazy about me looking at houses there, either.

Now, the Glen Oaks complex in Newington seemed to be a much more "professional" environment. The buildings and grounds seemed to be in reasonably good shape. However, there were so many people out and about, walking around and lounging on their patios. But it was Labor Day, so it's probably not this bad on most normal days. I had a hard time imagining myself living there, because it would feel like being out in public all the time; almost like a college campus dormitory. A major turn off for me, who strongly prefers privacy and solitude.

So for now, I'm just really confused and discouraged.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:53 PM

739 posts, read 1,847,844 times
When it snows in the winter and you are busy digging out your car, only to have it get snowed on again, you'll be wishing for that garage.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:34 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,921,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Today I drove by a house in Manchester as well as through the Glen Oaks complex in Newington. I have very mixed feelings about both places.

The house in Manchester seemed to be in a decent area on a quiet street, but the house itself didn't look as good as it does in the pictures online. The driveway was very old and cracked and needed resurfacing. The exterior of the house looked like it needed a paint job, too. And the road itself was in horrible condition, with potholes and cracks everywhere. Overall I would say it was just okay, but whenever I drive by a house in Manchester to look, I just get the vibe that I wouldn't realy fit into this town for some reason. My mother isn't crazy about me looking at houses there, either.

Now, the Glen Oaks complex in Newington seemed to be a much more "professional" environment. The buildings and grounds seemed to be in reasonably good shape. However, there were so many people out and about, walking around and lounging on their patios. But it was Labor Day, so it's probably not this bad on most normal days. I had a hard time imagining myself living there, because it would feel like being out in public all the time; almost like a college campus dormitory. A major turn off for me, who strongly prefers privacy and solitude.

Have you looked in the Meadowbrook Fields subdivision off Vernon St? Pretty darn "professional looking" (whatever that is...). I used to live there, and I was surrounded by lawyers, accountants (you), Dr or two (med kind...) and a whole host of others. Check it out, I think you'll like it. Oh, and the houses all have garages!

Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

Do not be discouraged. If you did not feel comfortable then it is likely that you will not be happy in Manchester. Same for Glen Oaks. Be patient, these things sometimes take time to figure out. I am sure you will figure what is best for you. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut