Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I fly a lot for business, and I arrive at JFK/LGA/Bradley 1 hour before departure and I'm ok every time and usually have a little time to spare to get something to eat. That's for domestic.
Even flying JFK --> LAX --> SYD a few years ago, I arrived an hour an 10 minutes before my flight and was fine (not recommended, though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I didn't just "get lucky". I planned my flights around traffic times (early AM). It never takes an hour to cross the Whitestone unless you're in the dead of rush hour, and even then you're likely looking at 40 minutes MAX. The Van Wyck can be a pain but, as I said, plan your arrival time at the airport accordingly. Be smart about it.

FWIW, I have also done this trip many, many times. Perhaps you need better planning.
I said an hour for the bridge AND the van wyck. Traffic is pervasive at all times there, not just at rush hour. Traffic is less on the van wyck in the middle of the night, at dawn, and sometimes around 10-11 am. Other than that, it's basically almost always a traffic jam on the van wyck. It's almost never clear. It's not like CT roads that mostly back up just around rush hour.(8-9, and 4 to 6). Traffic in nyc is horrific. I know people say L.A. is worse, but I don't buy it. Nothing is worse than traffic in lower manhattan. It once took me an hour to go 3 blocks because of all the double parked trucks. You literally can't get around by car in Manhattan. There is no where in LA like that.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:49 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I said an hour for the bridge AND the van wyck. Traffic is pervasive at all times there, not just at rush hour. Traffic is less on the van wyck in the middle of the night, at dawn, and sometimes around 10-11 am. Other than that, it's basically almost always a traffic jam on the van wyck. It's almost never clear. It's not like CT roads that mostly back up just around rush hour.(8-9, and 4 to 6). Traffic in nyc is horrific. I know people say L.A. is worse, but I don't buy it. Nothing is worse than traffic in lower manhattan. It once took me an hour to go 3 blocks because of all the double parked trucks. You literally can't get around by car in Manhattan. There is no where in LA like that.
Like I said, if you plan your flight around traffic, you'll be fine. A few weeks ago we flew out at 7 AM on a Friday. We left Branford at 4, arrived at 5:15ish, passed right through security and were at our gate by 5:45.

You do not have to go through Manhattan to get to JFK or LGA, so I'm not sure why we're bringing up traffic through that borough.

And yes, NYC metro traffic is much worse than LA traffic. I agree with you there.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:18 AM

21,770 posts, read 28,108,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Like I said, if you plan your flight around traffic, you'll be fine. A few weeks ago we flew out at 7 AM on a Friday. We left Branford at 4, arrived at 5:15ish, passed right through security and were at our gate by 5:45.

You do not have to go through Manhattan to get to JFK or LGA, so I'm not sure why we're bringing up traffic through that borough.

And yes, NYC metro traffic is much worse than LA traffic. I agree with you there.
Agree with the above.

If you use Google Maps for live traffic (or any nav system with live traffic), you can usually avoid most congestion. Again, I've done this trip many, many times and can tell you there's usually an OK route outside of rush hour. A lot of times it involves being creative about the route, skipping parts of 95, utilizing Mamaroneck Ave, going Hutch vs. 95 or other way around, Throg's vs. Whitestone - but there's usually a clear route outside of rush hour except for rare occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut