Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:46 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Yeah, if Oxford is uppity, Darien is on another planet.
Darien IS on another planet, lol...

Oxford does have quite a few soccer moms who think they're a lot wealthier than they really are, but it's hardly the majority. Same with Southbury and Middlebury. All three towns have a ton of great neighborhoods, especially for kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 AM

431 posts, read 446,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
I have lived in Thomaston for 12 years and love it. It's a small town, so be aware that if you move here you'll be expected to become part of the community and everyone will know everyone else's business. The downside is the school system is only so-so.

Watertown itself is also a nice town, though much larger than Thomaston. it also has more to offer in terms of the school (sports such as football, hockey, lacrosse) because of the larger population.
I'm from Northfield, so I split my time between Thomaston and Litchfield. Litchfield for school, Thomaston for everything else I found Litchfield to be a little uppity and Southbury the few times I've been there.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:04 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
My favorite would be Woodbury or Litchfield both easily accessible. But Watertown itself is a nice town.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:51 PM

161 posts, read 389,996 times
My boyfriend grew up in Oakville, which is close to Watertown. His mom is actually selling her home there due to being a widow & wanting to move near me and her son. PM me if you're looking for a house

Old 09-10-2011, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindlyunspoken23 View Post
My boyfriend grew up in Oakville, which is close to Watertown. His mom is actually selling her home there due to being a widow & wanting to move near me and her son. PM me if you're looking for a house
Oakville isn't that great. Basically a buffer between Waterbury and Watertown.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:56 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindlyunspoken23 View Post
Oakville isn't close to Watertown, it is part of Watertown.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Oakville isn't close to Watertown, it is part of Watertown.
Well, it's been incorporated, but it was it's own little manufacturing village beforehand and most people still see Oakville as it's own place. I don't know of anyone who would say Oakville Pizza is in Watertown besides the post office.

Oakville has a little bit of a Naugatuck vibe to it. It's not terrible, but certainly not as nice as Watertown proper or the other towns mentioned in this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakville,_Connecticut

Old 09-10-2011, 09:58 AM

161 posts, read 389,996 times
The area he grew up in is about 5-7 minutes from Waterbury as he went to a tech school right down the street. However, it's a pretty good area & safe to be in as there's always kids out & about. I knew it was either very close to Watertown, or part of it. I'm not from that way in CT, so I wasn't sure!

Old 09-11-2011, 07:03 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,623,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Darien IS on another planet, lol...

Oxford does have quite a few soccer moms who think they're a lot wealthier than they really are, but it's hardly the majority. Same with Southbury and Middlebury. All three towns have a ton of great neighborhoods, especially for kids.
It's all relative. I grew up near Oxford when it was a colossal hick town. To hear newer residents speak of it as if it's Roxbury is amusing. It has grown though and although it doesn't have a lot of amenities, they have a thriving P&R department and are proving to be a very well managed town.

OP, I would check out Watertown itself (large and socioeconomically diverse). Thomaston is nice too, but I could see how someone who isn't used to former mill towns would react negatively to it. I like Middlebury too, but as some have mentioned - it is regionalized with Southbury which has gotten more materialistic lately.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:07 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
It's all relative. I grew up near Oxford when it was a colossal hick town. To hear newer residents speak of it as if it's Roxbury is amusing. It has grown though and although it doesn't have a lot of amenities, they have a thriving P&R department and are proving to be a very well managed town.
It's not really on par with Roxbury. It's more on par with Southbury, Middlebury, and Monroe. Actually, it has a higher income and home prices than both Southbury and Middlebury. I never even heard of it until my parents moved there from lower FFC - now the entire town is full of cul-de-sacs and young families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut