Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 08:40 PM

10 posts, read 54,438 times

Advertisements

Hello-

Today I learned that I need to relocate to Greenwich, CT in 3 months for work. I know that Greenwich is one of the most expensive cities in the U.S. and I feel pretty overwhelmed. Can anyone suggest nearby towns with more affordable rent? Are cities in New York such as Port Chester more affordable?

For reference I am a young professional (female) and moving from Florida. I am looking for places to rent, not buy, if that makes a difference. Safety is my number one priority.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 10:58 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Is your work near a train station, either walkable or accessible by shuttle? That opens up a lot of options depending on your tolerance for a commute.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:11 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
A lot depends on what you think is affordable. You may find a modest apartment in Greenwich itself but it generally will be pricey. I would not move into New York unless you really have to or really want to. Taxes are higher there.

I would suggest looking in neighboring Stamford which is a larger city and more geared to what you are looking for. Also you may want to ask your company if they are going to give you a raise for this move, since most likely the cost of living in Greenwich will be higher than Florida. Many companies do make these type of salary adjustments. Jay

Old 09-22-2011, 03:10 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question125 View Post
Hello-

Today I learned that I need to relocate to Greenwich, CT in 3 months for work. I know that Greenwich is one of the most expensive cities in the U.S. and I feel pretty overwhelmed. Can anyone suggest nearby towns with more affordable rent? Are cities in New York such as Port Chester more affordable?

For reference I am a young professional (female) and moving from Florida. I am looking for places to rent, not buy, if that makes a difference. Safety is my number one priority.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks so much!
Greenwich is the safest place. I can't think of even one shady area.

Port Chester. It's cheap for a reason But it's not like the most dangerous place on earth.

You will definitely be able to net something nice in Greenwich, Cos Cob or Stamford. But if you're gonna stay alone, be prepared to shell in the 1100$ to 1400$ range for a decent place.

But you can widen your net and look at Harrison, Mamaroneck, Byram and White Plains. There should definitely be some place out there.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:55 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,446,762 times
We'll need to have more info about your salary. If you make 40k-50k and live alone, you can find a decent place in South Norwalk to live. If you make less than 40k and want to live alone, you may need to look into living in Port Chester or way up the Metro North train line past Bridgeport. You'll have many more choices in desirable areas like Greenwich, downtown (safe) Stamford, and wealthier suburbs if you're open to living with roommates.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:37 PM

Thank you everyone for your advice! I didn't realize New York's taxes are higher, nor did I know Port Chester was a little scary. So thank you again for that information.

Sadly the train is not an option for my commute to work.

Fortunately I will be getting a raise. I am willing to pay up to $1500, and yes I will be living alone. I have noticed that Bridgeport is a lot cheaper, and I have heard that it's an area to avoid, however I recently heard the Black Rock area is safe. Do you all agree?

I have been thinking about working with a Real Estate agent to find a rental. Does anyone happen to know their fees? Do I pay them or do they get a portion of the rent?

Thanks again! You all have been incredibly helpful!

Old 09-29-2011, 08:00 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Black Rock is safe. I recommend staying west of ellsworth Street though. Also Bridgeport's north End is nice (north of North Avenue and west of Main Street) as are Brookllawn, treeland, beardsley Park and downtown. Jay

Old 09-29-2011, 09:03 PM

You can get a 1BR in Stamford for $1500 without a problem, in a decent part of town. It'll be smaller and modest and might not have features like a garage, but without having a train option - it's really the only logical choice.

Old 10-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Jay-Thank you so much! Your description of locations to stay within is extremely helpful. Much appreciated.

Also thank you to Stylo. Stamford would be my preferred location so its nice to know I can find something within my budget.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:25 PM

Yeah, I'd definitely focus on Stamford. Things get more affordable the further east you go, but it's not really an option without a train commute. Traffic is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut