Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 AM

35,056 posts, read 57,152,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
The Midwest wouldn't measure up to the expectations of most of the regulars in this section. People here move to rural parts of the state to smell pretty flowers and listen to the birds singing. In the Midwest, they actually raise livestock in rural areas and the smell can overpower the smell of flowers. They often use farm machinery and it scares off the songbirds or drowns out their songs.

Many of country roads out there are still dirt roads. Who here would want to mess up the beautiful shiny finish on their SUV with all that dirt and dust? The people there aren't willing to raise taxes put AstroTurf on their children's playing fields (how barbaric!!!) or all the other foolish things people demand from their politicians. Roads there are for getting from one place to another. They don't waste millions of tax dollars to make a road through a major urban area look like an artificial park. We all know what's on the other side of those trees; urban sprawl. They don't like street lights blocking their view of the stars at night. They demand value from their tax dollars. They don't just hand over their cash to the government just so some city worker can get an outrageously bloated pension. The normal way of doing business here (screw unto others before they can do it to you) would get you run out of town or shot. If you see a dog in the road here, the typical reaction is to run the dog over and keep on going. In the Midwest, you are expected to go around the dog or run the high risk of getting your car shot full of holes. The same goes for livestock on the roads.

They may have nice houses at affordable prices but very few people here could adapt to the lifestyle in the Midwest.
You are correct about the rural lifestyle in the midwest being more rough than here but I must question the rest of your post. Suburbs of major midwest cities are just as into the astro turf, artifical park, streetlights and paying big bucks to city workers as the east coast. And I know of NO ONE here that would run a dog over deliberately and then take off. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 08:40 AM

274 posts, read 519,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And I know of NO ONE here that would run a dog over deliberately and then take off. Jay
Someone did this to my dog. It's just another of the 1001 reasons why I want to get out of here. Unfortunately, I own a house here so I am stuck here while things go from bad to worse.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:41 AM

370 posts, read 610,719 times
If you really want to improve the housing market, these options will speed things up:

1) Begin to demolish vacant foreclosed homes. Focus on the areas where speculation created a huge surplus of supply (Nevada, Arizona, Florida & California). Having those foreclosures that are sitting on the books of banks demolished would ultimately reduce supply and slowly increase prices as those foreclosures would no longer impact surrounding areas. Thus, more homeowners would begin to see equity re-established.

2) Allow an influx of immigration by focusing on families who have a desire and the capital to become entrepreneur's, and who have sufficient funds for a home down payment. This would ultimately lead to small business growth, jobs and of course a decrease in housing supply.

Otherwise, we can just be patient and wait for the US population to slowly increase to offset the housing supply...could be a while.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:49 AM

21,662 posts, read 31,313,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
2) Allow an influx of immigration by focusing on families who have a desire and the capital to become entrepreneur's, and who have sufficient funds for a home down payment. This would ultimately lead to small business growth, jobs and of course a decrease in housing supply.
So you're advocating that we base citizenship approval on wealth?

Old 10-05-2011, 09:01 AM

370 posts, read 610,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
So you're advocating that we base citizenship approval on wealth?
I'm basing citizenship on those who can make a contribution to the United States economy by reinvesting their capital.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,162,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
I'm basing citizenship on those who can make a contribution to the United States economy by reinvesting their capital.
I would guess that the average poor immigrant makes a more significant contribution to the US economy than the average poor citizen-- by working. And working hard... in jobs that most of us don't want.

Most potential immigrants who have the working capital to start a business here would likely stay home-- They're probably rich by the standards in their country.

Sorry... We should continue to seek immigrants who can contribute and who will fill many low paid labor jobs that would otherwise remain empty.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I would guess that the average poor immigrant makes a more significant contribution to the US economy than the average poor citizen-- by working. And working hard... in jobs that most of us don't want.

Sorry... We should continue to seek immigrants who can contribute and who will fill many low paid labor jobs that would otherwise remain empty.
That's because these jobs were dumbed down to accomodate people with zero education. Yeah - let's bring more of them here. Great idea.

And if you think for one second that an unemployed 25 year old American wouldn't cook or bus tables at a restaurant, you're sorely out of touch.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,192,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post

Most potential immigrants who have the working capital to start a business here would likely stay home-- They're probably rich by the standards in their country.

No no no no no ......... there are plenty here unemployed already...bad concept..sorry

Old 10-05-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
No no no no no ......... there are plenty here unemployed already...bad concept..sorry
Exactly.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:43 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,192,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Exactly.
Just saw your post above..exactly right. This concept people don't want menial jobs in this country might have been true 5 years ago..not today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut