Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 09:36 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,034 times

Advertisements

My DH is looking for a new job (currently employed as a supervisor) so I googled "best places to work in Connecticut" and found this site 2010 "Best Places to Work in Connecticut" - Best Places to Work in Connecticut created by the Hartford Business Journal. These are the large businesses pulled out as the best for the year:

LARGE COMPANY CATEGORY (200 OR MORE EMPLOYEES)

Rank
1 Barnum Financial Group
2 Comcast Cable
3 Yale-New Haven Hospital
4 Henkel Corporation
5 Robinson & Cole LLP

Does anyone know anything about how well these employees treat and compensate their employees (ex the Yale-New Haven Hospital)? Also, it appears that these companies may only be in the Hartford area so we'd be interested to hear if anyone has great things to say about moderately large companies (100 employees+) in SW CT.

CNN pulled out Griffin Hospital and Stew Leonard's as the 2 best CT employers in 2009, but we're looking for more specialized, retail (ex grocery) or financial employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 10:14 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
Also, it appears that these companies may only be in the Hartford area so we'd be interested to hear if anyone has great things to say about moderately large companies (100 employees+) in SW CT.
I know that SAC Capital in Stamford treats their employees very well. It's great to see.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:28 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Barnum is a commision only shark tank. I know several sales people there as we were part of a local business network group.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:48 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
yale new haven is supposed to be amazing to work for, had a friend who used to do ttech there (now works at danbury hospital) and he only left because danbury offered him more and it was a shorter commute.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
I know many who work at Yale; opinions vary. Some love it, some detest it.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:31 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Barnum is a commision only shark tank. I know several sales people there as we were part of a local business network group.
Just did a little more research on the companies listed and you're right--I'm not sure how anyone uncomfortable with swindling would want to work for Barnum. The companies posted on the website are pretty disappointing.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:24 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,910 times
Ge!

Old 12-30-2010, 01:30 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I know many who work at Yale; opinions vary. Some love it, some detest it.
I heard -- and this is second-hand; I have no idea if it's true -- that big name educational institutions don't pay well. Their logic is that the prestige of working for Yale, Harvard, etc... has value in and of itself, so they reduce the monetary pay.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:02 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I heard -- and this is second-hand; I have no idea if it's true -- that big name educational institutions don't pay well. Their logic is that the prestige of working for Yale, Harvard, etc... has value in and of itself, so they reduce the monetary pay.
This is true for starting positions but the upper ranks pay is equivilant to other major institutions. Starting positions pay poorly but the experience looks great on a resume so they can get away with not paying a lot. Once people get some experience, they will walk unless the school pays a comparable amount. Jay

Old 12-30-2010, 02:16 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
True enough, the people I interact with are primarily surgeons and engineers. They are paid pretty well (I imagine) but also decry the institutional issues inherent in large organizations. I really can't say what other people are making, but I believe you get discounted tuition for your kids. Not a bad perk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut