Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 PM

333 posts, read 467,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
I agree and disagree.
I second this.

Geographically, Connecticut is New England - we have the white churches, town greens, still hold town meetings, red barns and historic clapboard homes. All of these are prevalent throughout - from the affluent avenues of Fairfield County to the quiet and scenic town of Thompson. I agree with JViello that there is a noticeable difference when you cross from NY into CT, whether it's on the Merritt Parkway, the skinny roads between Ridgefield and North Salem or in the extreme NW corner. Connecticut is more lush, rustic and well-kept than many towns across the border.

With that, southwestern Connecticut - basically towns with a 203 area code - is tied more culturally to New York than even Hartford. Most households get New York news on the major networks, the YES Network, NYC traffic & weather information and most towns are not more than a 10-15 minute drive from the nearest Metro-North station. I've noticed accents are different - those in 203 speak with more of a New York slang while the rest of the state has a touch of Mass. and Rhode Island slang. I hear people say 'wicked' pretty often in the Hartford area. It's nearly unheard of in the New Haven area and west.

Many of those living in the 203 area code are former New Yorkers who have come to escape the hectic city life. I think it's fair to say a high percentage of those living in southwestern Connecticut are not born and raised New Englanders.

So I think it's fair to say that culturally, southwestern Connecticut is more a bedroom community of NYC than a part of New England. Geographically, you're still in New England.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:38 AM

639 posts, read 2,711,626 times
Yankee/Red Sox country is split pretty much down the middle (obviously there is yankee/red sox fans mixed in throughout). Bristol is on the edge being mainly Red Sox nation since they use to have a farm system at Muzzy field. Hartford region is mainly Red Sox along with most of Tolland, Windham, and New London counties.

I can get to Boston quicker than New York from my parents house in Windham and so is the case for much of Hartford county.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:19 AM

578 posts, read 2,098,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliver203 View Post
I second this.

Geographically, Connecticut is New England - we have the white churches, town greens, still hold town meetings, red barns and historic clapboard homes. All of these are prevalent throughout - from the affluent avenues of Fairfield County to the quiet and scenic town of Thompson. I agree with JViello that there is a noticeable difference when you cross from NY into CT, whether it's on the Merritt Parkway, the skinny roads between Ridgefield and North Salem or in the extreme NW corner. Connecticut is more lush, rustic and well-kept than many towns across the border.

With that, southwestern Connecticut - basically towns with a 203 area code - is tied more culturally to New York than even Hartford. Most households get New York news on the major networks, the YES Network, NYC traffic & weather information and most towns are not more than a 10-15 minute drive from the nearest Metro-North station. I've noticed accents are different - those in 203 speak with more of a New York slang while the rest of the state has a touch of Mass. and Rhode Island slang. I hear people say 'wicked' pretty often in the Hartford area. It's nearly unheard of in the New Haven area and west.

Many of those living in the 203 area code are former New Yorkers who have come to escape the hectic city life. I think it's fair to say a high percentage of those living in southwestern Connecticut are not born and raised New Englanders.

So I think it's fair to say that culturally, southwestern Connecticut is more a bedroom community of NYC than a part of New England. Geographically, you're still in New England.
I don't think it's a case of Fairfield being a bedroom community for New York.
There are many service and industrail cities all along southern CT and my family was born and raised in CT and were NY fans.
To state that CT is tied to NY due to New Yorkers moving in is very inaccurate because while CT is tied to New York in the southern part of the state, people still root for NY teams in the central and western parts of the state and many have lived in CT their whole lives.
They just choose to align with NY, it is not where those born in CT are Boston fans mostly.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:28 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
You yourself said that you can spot a "New Yorker" just like that in CT so that tells me that even you acknowledge a difference.

As for "culture", try this example: Cross the border into upstate New York and metal sheds are prevelant. They are not in New England. Why? Dunno, but it is what it is and there is a distinct difference.

As for the gender thing I'm sorry if you are offended by science but a boy is a boy is a boy. XY chromosome vs XX. You can't change that. Nor can you change the fact that CT is New England.

That's the relevance and correlation. It is what it was created to be, regardless of what someone tries to define it as. (Speaking about New England)
you're right - there is a difference between NYS and CT - NYS looks unkempt - a bit seedier, the people well, hmmmm,and the roads are definitely better once crossing into CT...They say CT is God's country and I guess that answers it..It is the better looking child imo...not by a lot but enough to notice the difference..Pound Ridge is pretty though...

Old 10-27-2007, 08:00 AM

404 posts, read 561,056 times
For those of you hardcore Yankee fans that like to talk baseball, this may meet your needs more NY Yankee Fans (Powered by Invision Power Board)

Old 10-27-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's a case of Fairfield being a bedroom community for New York.
There are many service and industrail cities all along southern CT and my family was born and raised in CT and were NY fans.
To state that CT is tied to NY due to New Yorkers moving in is very inaccurate because while CT is tied to New York in the southern part of the state, people still root for NY teams in the central and western parts of the state and many have lived in CT their whole lives.
They just choose to align with NY, it is not where those born in CT are Boston fans mostly.
I think it has everything to do with SW Connecticut being a bedroom community of New York.

It's understandable that in eastern Connecticut there are Yanks fans, but the same can be said for the immediate Boston area, as well as Sox fans in NYC. The numbers however, are much lower.

People south of Waterbury and west of New Haven don't "choose" to align with New York - for many of them (including myself), family roots stem from NYC as both of my parents grew up just 1 mile from Yankee Stadium. So to conclude that many (not the majority, by any means) people are Yanks fans in CT because they are former NYers is extremely accurate. Just my opinion though

Last edited by sliver203; 10-27-2007 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: added a smiley!

Old 10-29-2007, 09:20 PM

578 posts, read 2,098,795 times
I disagree.
That would imply people born in CT are Red Sox or Boston fans, while those in CT who are NY fans mainly come from NY.

Not true, the overwhelming majority in SW CT and W CT are NY fans and are born and raised in CT.
The region is an extenstion of the tri state region, it has it's own cities and centers with many people.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I disagree.
That would imply people born in CT are Red Sox or Boston fans, while those in CT who are NY fans mainly come from NY.

Not true, the overwhelming majority in SW CT and W CT are NY fans and are born and raised in CT.
The region is an extenstion of the tri state region, it has it's own cities and centers with many people.
How do you know of these statistics? I was born and raised in CT - my family however, is from New York.

Your conclusion that the region is an extension of the tri state region is essentially what I've been saying.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:22 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,024,921 times
Lets try and consolidate the local baseball teams into one thread-thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut