Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 12:18 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,477 times

Advertisements

And what does your community have that other's don't? Why do you love it?

I was born and raised in CA and moved to CT with my family - I went off to college, they stayed in Westport. We moved here for my dad's job, my mom's dream of living in New England and my dream to attend an east coast university.

I don't only love Westport, I love Connecticut as a whole. You have the bustle of New Haven and Fairfield, you have the quiet towns in Litchfield County, the quaint countryside of NE Connecticut and the history of SE Connecticut.

If I were to choose my favorite part of the state, I'd have to say Ansonia/Derby. I've made a few friends who live in these towns and I have never been to a more down to Earth, flavorful middle-class area in my life. I just got engaged and am looking to buy a home. I'm currently looking to buy in Ansonia, unless my job takes me to Minneapolis. Westport is nice, but WAY out of my price range and reminds me a lot of CA.

So why do you love your town? And if you don't, what is your favorite town in CT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 12:38 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,026,356 times
JK

Born in Washington DC- folks from Pittsburgh PA.
Moved here when I was 6 yo. Yankee at this point? I suppose I am.
New Englander? Yes.

I grew up in East Hartford- moved to Manchester- and now live in Tolland county -(Vernon)

People here are so down to earth and easy going. Laid back life style here.
My fav town? Pomfret, Woodstock, Salisbury, and Mystic.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:48 PM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
I guess it is ot secret that I grew up in Fairfield and currently live in Glastonbury. Both are great towns. I went to scool in Rhode Isalnd and lived in New Jersey for a while. All in all, Fairfield is probably my favorite town but I like glastonbury too. The lower Connecticut River Valley is wonderful and may be where we retire when we get older. Hard ot say now. Jay

Old 09-03-2007, 08:03 AM

879 posts, read 1,661,093 times
I grew up in TX and then went to school in Boston. I've lived in Westport and most recently Norwalk, and we're closing on a home in Stratford tomorrow. I'd love to live in Redding.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:32 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times
My parents were both born outside of the US, I grew up in Milford, went to university in New England, have lived in Stamford, West Haven, and New Haven, lived in a few other places (Colorado, New York, Vermont, Florida) and wound up in Marlborough.

I ended up in Marlborough because I wanted to live in CT, but get away from the hustle/bustle and congestion of the shoreline that I grew up in and lived in for quite a while. East of the river was very appealing. I wanted a quiet town that felt rural, but had all of the shopping and cultural amenities nearby.

Old 09-04-2007, 06:57 AM

16 posts, read 68,740 times
I moved to Stamford in 1978 when it was a sleepy little town. I attended Stamford public and private schools, and even though it doesn't happen as often as it used to, I still bump into old friends. I've been all over the US, and have a job that permits me to work from many places but I still choose to live here. I love the duality of the woods in the north and the beaches in the south. Being 20 miles or so from Yankee stadium is nice. I have always felt safe in Stamford, except for a few neighborhoods. It is really convenient having Metro North/Amtrak. I enjoy the hustle and bustle. There is opportunity all around. Maybe one day I'll cash out and move to a quiet little town.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:34 AM

330 posts, read 1,402,437 times
Born and raised in rural South Carolina. Lived in Columbia, SC most of my adult life - minus 3 years in Savannah, GA and 4+ years in Los Angeles County. Moved to Greenwich in July and haven't found one thing I don't like. After being in urban hell - it's so nice to have big open green spaces, fresh air with no smog, and even the worst traffic days here (I-95) still look like a cake walk compared to the 405 in Los Angeles. I love that I'm close to NYC - but literally a world away. I love all the towns I've visited so far Norwalk, Trumbull, New Haven, Westport - I don't know what we have that other towns don't - other than some of the wealthiest people in the world - but since I'm not in that bunch - it doesn't effect me - other than the fact it created awesome public schools.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfludd View Post
it's so nice to have big open green spaces, fresh air with no smog, and even the worst traffic days here (I-95) still look like a cake walk compared to the 405 in Los Angeles.
This is how I feel. Everyone out in CA always made it sound like NY traffic was so bad but, in my opinion, NYC area traffic is refreshing compared to LA. I do miss the palm trees and the Pacific beaches, but the leafy 'burbs here offer an impeccable quality of life.

I also love the Merritt Parkway - it's one of the most beautiful highways I've driven on. I was so shocked to see people fishing and relaxing on the grass in the first couple of weeks I lived here. That's something you'll never see in CA.

When it comes to drivers here... - well, that's another thread.

I love CT cannot wait to raise a family here.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:19 AM

640 posts, read 2,013,022 times
LA was the place we ran to after WW-II. Now people are running from LA.

I suspect the northeast aint so bad, eh?

Old 09-07-2007, 08:46 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
Everyone out in CA always made it sound like NY traffic was so bad but, in my opinion, NYC area traffic is refreshing compared to LA.
The traffic in NY does not compare to the traffic in LA. I was shocked at how extensive congestion is in southern California. As sgfludd noted, I-405 is unbelieveable and not just during a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours in the evening. Make even I-95 into Stamford seem mild. And it not just the 405 that has congestion. I would take dealing with the traffic in and around New York anyday over LA. JMHO Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut