Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 6,693 times

Advertisements

Currently living in NYC. Looking to relocate to CT for better quality of life (hopefully). I have a six year old daughter so looking for calm neighborhood, good schools, and close to stores for shopping and groceries. We would also like to be close to the city to visit family and friends on weekends.

We are looking to rent a two bedroom apt, so we would like to know the rent rates out there. We are hoping for better rates than the city, it's ridiculous for a one bedroom to pay $1,500. We are hoping for at least $1,000 to $1,500 for a two bedroom.

I am currently employed in westchester county in NYC, I take the metro north the new haven line to get to work. So we would like an area around or close to the metro north. We would like to know the job rates, and what is the current minimum wage. My boyfriend is unemployed but will also look and get a job as soon as we settle on a specific area. I also would't mind getting a job in CT once we have really settled in, just because of the commute to and from work.

We are both young adults trying to live a good calm life out of the city and provide our daughter with a better childhood and upbringing. I feel we cant give her that here anymore, it's just too expensive to live in NYC.

Please post any suggestions, We would really appreciate any input into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 11:23 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
A nice two bedroom for under 1500 is going to be tough in Fairfield County. You might want to look into Stratford.

Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 AM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
My first recommendation would be Milford, specifically in the area in/around downtown, the train station, harbor, etc. It's safe, lively, has good schools (especially elementary), a great shoreline and downtown, and lots of family activities. With the exception of Stratford, it is the most affordable of the "good" family towns along the New Haven line. There's a ton of retail in town for minimal wage type jobs as it serves as a regional retail hub. The CT minimum wage is $8.25. Spinnaker Apartments has some good rentals in your price range that are walking distance to the train station. You should also check out Realtor.com.

I also really like Fairfield, but you get less for the money there and would be stretching quite a lot on your budget. The schools are excellent though. Stratford is a solid option too.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:23 PM

Thanks so much for your suggestions...

How far is Milford from NY? and Stratford?

Old 01-24-2012, 01:29 PM

Where in NY? Check Google Maps for distances. Milford and Stratford border each other. The difference in the train ride is only a few minutes.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:08 PM

I live in the bronx, but I work in mount vernon which is in westchester ny. But thanks I will check out google maps.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:11 PM

Does anyone suggest where or how we should even begin our move?...This is a big change and we honestly don't know where to start. What do you all suggest be the first thing we do?

Old 01-24-2012, 02:24 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
I saw tons of 2 bedrooms for around 1500 in the Greenwich/Cos Cob area on Craigslist.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I saw tons of 2 bedrooms for around 1500 in the Greenwich/Cos Cob area on Craigslist.
Just want to warn against trusting prices on Craigslist. There's no regulation like on MLS/Realtor.com where the price is the price. Often landlords will try and attract renters with false or misleading pricing. Something to look out for.

To the OP - I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are no direct trains from many points in CT to Mt. Vernon, making it a very long train commute. Even from Fairfield it would be a nearly 90 minute train ride. And because of traffic, commuting by car is prohibitive.

It looks like you're limited to Greenwich and Stamford unless you want a very long commute. It's a 35 minute train ride from Stamford. There are some quiet neighborhoods in Stamford (especially in the north) and Greenwich, but they may come at a price that's beyond your budget.

Check schedules here: MNR Schedules

Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Just want to warn against trusting prices on Craigslist. There's no regulation like on MLS/Realtor.com where the price is the price. Often landlords will try and attract renters with false or misleading pricing. Something to look out for.

To the OP - I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there are no direct trains from many points in CT to Mt. Vernon, making it a very long train commute. Even from Fairfield it would be a nearly 90 minute train ride. And because of traffic, commuting by car is prohibitive.

It looks like you're limited to Greenwich and Stamford unless you want a very long commute. It's a 35 minute train ride from Stamford. There are some quiet neighborhoods in Stamford (especially in the north) and Greenwich, but they may come at a price that's beyond your budget.

Check schedules here: MNR Schedules
Rye/Byram works great, steps into the CT area.

It's winter and landlords are desperate

Mt. Vernon is not too far to drive. 30 minutes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut