Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 02:34 PM

63 posts, read 132,175 times

Advertisements

You know what Stylo, You obviously feel strongly about this and I am going to give it a shot. May 1st is my date (but i think I can move early with the sacrifice of my deposit.) so I am just getting started in regards to looks but I am going to try and see this ASAP. I googled this place in reference to the distance from my job. 2.9 miles 13min driving through the town from the shore. I currently go 9.0 miles in about the same time on te highway.

Last edited by gibsonzero; 01-27-2012 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 02:47 PM

21,764 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonzero View Post
You know what Stylo, You obviously feel strongly about this and I am going to give it a shot. May 1st is my date (but i think I can move early with the sacrifice of my deposit.) so I am just getting started in regards to looks but I am going to try and see this ASAP. I googled this place in reference to the distance from my job. 2.9 miles 13min driving through the town from the shore. I currently go 9.0 miles in about the same time on te highway.
Well it's a rarity to find a place under $1000 near downtown. It's an awesome area. 10 minute walk to downtown from that place, 10 minute walk to the beach, 5 minute walk to the (arguably) best pizza in Milford. The downtown/Gulf Street area of Milford is the best IMO, especially for younger people. Mark my words that once warmer weather comes along, you will not find another deal like that. If something comes up that's under $900, it'll likely be in Devon near Stratford - the less desirable part of Milford.

So your job is in north Milford? 2.9 miles is cool, save a lot on gas. I'll bet you'll do it a lot quicker than 13 minutes, Google Maps goes by speed limits and no one drives 25.

Let us know how it goes, I live less than a mile from there.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:36 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,480 times
And it includes heat and hot water for $875!!!! That is a steal... I would at least charge $900 if that was my building

Old 01-27-2012, 03:38 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,480 times
Actually I see why. Seems pretty small at 500sq ft. and kitchen looks tight.

Old 01-27-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 View Post
Actually I see why. Seems pretty small at 500sq ft. and kitchen looks tight.
Still, for that price, 550 square feet is livable. Cheap and a great area. Didn't even notice the heat/hot water part, that can be a big expense in the winter (up to $200 if electric heat in even a tiny space).

Old 01-27-2012, 04:43 PM

156 posts, read 278,103 times
550 square feet? Hell no! That's TINY!

Old 01-27-2012, 04:56 PM

63 posts, read 132,175 times
Its me again,

I found this site called trulia.com. It is the only site I have seen that has detailed info and even reviews on some properties. I must say that there is this apartment in the north end of Bridgeport near Trumbull that I have my eye on. The price range is perfect and from the reviews and a few tips I'ave gotten about the area it seems like it may be a go. It and the Milford location will be the top of my list. I really do like the fact that this house in question is remodelled like a apt building. 875, is really touching my limit. If they were to go up on the rent in a year I could be in trouble or at least would have to count every penny.

My situation:
I JUST started a new job which is giving me more home options. Right now I am paying 690 for something less desirable in BPT. My original max was 850 and that was pushing it. This milford spot looks very promising however, I also have a second choice in the running in the North End which probably will not allow me a walk to the beach, however the rent is 775 at 600 st ft. I am in for a slightly longer commute than I do currently at this location (11 miles as opposed to 9 miles). Well I have to act fast if i want a shot at that milford one so I think the game plan is for that inquiry ASAP.

EDIT: it feels better with choices rather than nothing to work with now. And I still have yet to grab a newspaper.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:01 AM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
You cannot beat Milford for a location. The price of that apartment is great but you really don't know if it is a good place unless you see it. The North End of Bridgeport is also a good area, just be careful where. Be cautious if it is east of Main Street. There are some questionable areas off Reservior Avenue and I have seen listings in that area that say it is the North End. Good luck, Jay

Old 01-28-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonzero View Post
875, is really touching my limit. If they were to go up on the rent in a year I could be in trouble or at least would have to count every penny.
If it's any consolation, the listing from 1 year ago in the same building for another apt was also 875, so it hasn't gone up. That said, you never know with any rental. You're only locked for 1 year. Most buildings don't want to lose a good renter, so if you pay on time on the 1st consistently and it's a smaller building with a decent landlord, it's often negotiable.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:42 AM

156 posts, read 278,103 times
I don't think 875 for a 500 square foot studio is a good price. In fact, I think that's kind of a rip off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut