Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:22 AM

104 posts, read 189,816 times

Advertisements

I just gotta know. What type of bugs are in CT? and please, no smart answers like "flies and bees and spiders...like any other State" because I already know that lol. I'm just wondering what TYPE of spiders. Are they dangerous? I ask because I have kids and 1 will be crawling by the time we move to CT. I have a fear of spiders and centipedes. I know ehouse spiders and house centipedes you can't get away from. I'm just curious about the bugs that could hurt you. Also, are their snakes or no? And what about wildlife? I know there's opossums but we get those in NY too. And I know there's raccoons but they're in NY as well. How about bears? Stupid questions probably but I'd like to be prepared for everything so nothing surprises me once I'm out there lol. Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 AM

21,704 posts, read 31,373,904 times
Okay - I'm sorry if this comes across as rude, but everything we have in CT, similar areas in NY have exactly the same thing. Deer, mosquitoes, nats, ticks, fruit flies, some snakes if you live near a river, foxes, raccoons, opossums, and coyotes and black bears in the rural parts.

Jeeze, you'd think you were moving from Manhattan to Alaska with these questions!

Last edited by kidyankee764; 06-08-2012 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: u

Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,941,267 times
Yes, there are bears, mountain lions, coyotes, foxes, deer, skunks, snakes, mice, rats, spiders, ticks, bats, etc. I believe the only poisonous spider is the brown recluse. We have poisonous timber rattlesnakes and copperheads. Prepare yourself.

You keep referring to "NY", but I get the feeling you are from NYC. You will pretty much find the same creatures in the suburbs and rural areas of NY that you will find in CT.

I will be interested to see your posts on living outside a big city after you actually move.

Editing to say we also have deer flies. Oh boy, they love to chase you around and sting. You'll love those. And bees, and hornets....a pity I have to run some errands, I was just getting warmed up here. Oh! But before I go, we also have mosquitoes, which carry the West Nile virus.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:09 AM

6,325 posts, read 5,213,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaMichele View Post
I just gotta know. What type of bugs are in CT? and please, no smart answers like "flies and bees and spiders...like any other State" because I already know that lol. I'm just wondering what TYPE of spiders. Are they dangerous? I ask because I have kids and 1 will be crawling by the time we move to CT. I have a fear of spiders and centipedes. I know ehouse spiders and house centipedes you can't get away from. I'm just curious about the bugs that could hurt you. Also, are their snakes or no? And what about wildlife? I know there's opossums but we get those in NY too. And I know there's raccoons but they're in NY as well. How about bears? Stupid questions probably but I'd like to be prepared for everything so nothing surprises me once I'm out there lol. Thanks guys.
I hate centipedes too (something about their speed), but for what it's worth, I have yet to come across one in CT after 5 years. I used to see them indoors a lot back when we lived in the Cleveland area.

Spiders? sorry, can't help you there...there's tons and the usual varieties.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 AM

21,914 posts, read 28,313,565 times
"This may be a stupid question..."

Well, I'll be polite and just say that nothing really changes magically once you go over the NY border.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Okay - I'm sorry if this comes across as rude, but everything we have in CT, similar areas in NY have exactly the same thing. Deer, mosquitoes, nats, ticks, fruit flies, some snakes if you live near a river, foxes, raccoons, opossums, and coyotes and black bears in the rural parts.

Jeeze, you'd think you were moving from Manhattan to Alaska with these questions!
You didn't have to come off rude. The reason I ask is because I hear a lot of different things.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 AM

21,914 posts, read 28,313,565 times
You're hearing rumors then.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Yes, there are bears, mountain lions, coyotes, foxes, deer, skunks, snakes, mice, rats, spiders, ticks, bats, etc. I believe the only poisonous spider is the brown recluse. We have poisonous timber rattlesnakes and copperheads. Prepare yourself.

You keep referring to "NY", but I get the feeling you are from NYC. You will pretty much find the same creatures in the suburbs and rural areas of NY that you will find in CT.

I will be interested to see your posts on living outside a big city after you actually move.

Editing to say we also have deer flies. Oh boy, they love to chase you around and sting. You'll love those. And bees, and hornets....a pity I have to run some errands, I was just getting warmed up here. Oh! But before I go, we also have mosquitoes, which carry the West Nile virus.
Yea I am from NYC. Even when it comes to PA, people say what we have here in NYC is what they have in PA but then I hear the bugs out there could be dangerous. That's why I ask.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You're hearing rumors then.
Quite possible as the people who are telling me certain things are the people who really don't want to see me get ahead and move to CT.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

And just to add, the whole reason they made forums like this is for people who are thinking of moving to another State. It's for people to ask whatever they want to know about so they get a clearer picture. People like to throw their 2 cents in a little too much at times when it comes to moving out of the State. I know this because my father's Aunt moved out of CT because she wanted to be closer to her children but yet my dad says she moved because of the "harsh Winters". Now you see why I ask questions? because I can't get the right answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut