Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 02:09 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
It was actually the thread below where I heard people saying brown recluses were here, but maybe I'm wrong. Also I knew someone with a nasty spider bite who was told by a Dr. that it was a brown recluse bite. Maybe, maybe not. Maybe it's just the northern black widow we have to contend with. Fun times in Ct.

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...s-spiders.html
I got nailed by something messing with cord wood one year and my hand swelled up like a cartoon. I asked my wife to suck the poison out and she smacked me.

For the thread, there really isn't much here to worry about. Yea we got bugs and critters but the North is tame by other standards in the nation.

Just wait till you hear a fishercat scream in the night.

Fisher cat screams in the night! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 03:50 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaMichele View Post
And just to add, the whole reason they made forums like this is for people who are thinking of moving to another State. It's for people to ask whatever they want to know about so they get a clearer picture. People like to throw their 2 cents in a little too much at times when it comes to moving out of the State. I know this because my father's Aunt moved out of CT because she wanted to be closer to her children but yet my dad says she moved because of the "harsh Winters". Now you see why I ask questions? because I can't get the right answers.
Thanks for the insight.

Old 06-09-2012, 05:46 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
We moved to CT from NY..... But we lived in the suburbs. Bugs,snakes, foxes, coyotes were common so we had No surprises. I guess the only thing that maybe surprised me a little were the spiders. In my backyard I have seen spiders I have never seen before. I hate spiders. Nasty looking brown ones that I have been told could be a wood, recluse or a wolf spider. I don't know.my backyard borders a farm so there is always something around. We have deer, wild turkeys and coyotes roaming. I don't like bugs at all but they are everywhere..... Same as NY.
NYC has the biggest rats and roaches hands down so it kind of balances out.
Hope this helps you.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:47 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
I've lived in my current palce for almost 10 years. The number of times I've seen house centipedes I can count one hand since moving here. Never saw them living elsewhere in CT though. Anyhow, other than being creepy and really fast, they are not a HUGE problem. The only times they have appeared is after a good rain.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:36 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
It was actually the thread below where I heard people saying brown recluses were here, but maybe I'm wrong. Also I knew someone with a nasty spider bite who was told by a Dr. that it was a brown recluse bite. Maybe, maybe not. Maybe it's just the northern black widow we have to contend with. Fun times in Ct.

//www.city-data.com/forum/conne...s-spiders.html

While researching Ct. spiders I came across this little guy whose bites are often mistaken for brown recluse spiders. The spiders are common in Ct., and bites are "usually very painful and burning at the outset, with developing erythema, edema, and intense itching. The burning sensation associated with the bite will last for an hour or more, and a rash and blistering will occur during the next ten hours. Some patients may exhibit systemic reactions with fever, malaise, muscle cramps, and nausea. These symptoms are similar to black widow bite symptoms but are much less severe. A necrotic lesion and ulceration may also occur at the site, but this has been described as being less serious than the similar symptoms accompanying a brown recluse bite. Although there is evidence that guinea pigs and rabbits develop necrotic lesions after bites from Cheiracanthium species, the evidence for a similar reaction in humans is unclear.

Agrarian Sac Spider — Entomology — Penn State University

All the more reason to want a cold winter. The reason these bugs start to thrive up here is with winters getting milder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut