Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 AM

57 posts, read 204,576 times

Advertisements

Over the last few years, I have noticed that Stop and Shop has stopped carrying many popular items. Hunt's ketchup and Finlandia swiss cheese, for example. They also seem to have limited many of the larger value sizes of some items (I can't get a humungous jar of wheat germ, for example).

Between the lack of selection and the prices, I am starting to spend less time (and money) there.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 11:25 AM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
I stopped shopping (no pun intended) there regularly when Big Y opened near me, and then after I moved I started shopping from a variety of stores: Whole Foods, Costco, farmer's markets, Robert Treat Farm, Trader Joe's, Aldi, ShopRite, etc. There's also an indie grocery store near me when I need something basic and quick (Beachside Supermarket).

IMO S&S is overpriced and their produce/meat is usually not very good.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,947,273 times
I've noticed the same thing. We shop less and less at Stop and Shop. We now do most of our shopping at Caraluzzis (a local chain) and Big Y when we're up by the Federal Road area in Danbury.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:40 PM

327 posts, read 1,119,677 times
I really wished Orange allowed Stew Leonard's because that would of been a great choice. I might even email them and tell them to occupy the old showcase cinemas in Milford.

I was never a fan of S&S due to their prices. I notice ShopRite following the same path. I have been doing Aldi's more and more.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:52 PM

21,769 posts, read 28,102,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 View Post
I really wished Orange allowed Stew Leonard's because that would of been a great choice.
That was a real silly decision.

Also:

Quote:
Recently, there had been talk in Milford that Leonard was eyeing the former Showcase Cinemas site on Cherry Street, but Leonard said those rumors are untrue.
I always thought that site would be ripe for a Big Y.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:39 PM

754 posts, read 1,018,622 times
big y is over priced

Old 02-16-2012, 01:42 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,635 times
my wife flipped out because we couldn't find Sacramento tomato juice, or a certain tartar sauce they used to carry, or a certain brand of canned tomatoes.

Also the produce most of the time is horrid, I spend more to go to whole foods in the winter and spring for produce, and in the summer and fall we hit the local farm stands for what we need.

Quality there in meats and produce is sub par, at best.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:59 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
We have noticed it too. They stopped carrying the large bag of rawhide dog bones we use to buy. I refuse to pay $5.00 for one bone that my dog will devour in an hour. Also they stopped carry a certain tomato sauce we used as well as a brand of canned tomatos. I asked once about this and they gave me the line that they eliminate products that do not sell well to make room for new products. This is BS since I know these couple of products would sell quickly when they were restocked. They should just get rid of some of the non-food related junk (TV's really sell well in a supermarket). As for prices, I find Stop & Shop is not the lowest price but they are not the highest (for us Big Y is pricer). Their meats and produce aren't the best either but they are decent. JMHO, Jay

Old 02-16-2012, 02:12 PM

57 posts, read 204,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
We have noticed it too. They stopped carrying the large bag of rawhide dog bones we use to buy. I refuse to pay $5.00 for one bone that my dog will devour in an hour. Also they stopped carry a certain tomato sauce we used as well as a brand of canned tomatos. I asked once about this and they gave me the line that they eliminate products that do not sell well to make room for new products. This is BS since I know these couple of products would sell quickly when they were restocked. They should just get rid of some of the non-food related junk (TV's really sell well in a supermarket). As for prices, I find Stop & Shop is not the lowest price but they are not the highest (for us Big Y is pricer). Their meats and produce aren't the best either but they are decent. JMHO, Jay
It seems to me that their decisions are profit driven in the sense that certain brands are more profitable than others, not that they sell better or worse.

I have been spending most of my $$ at ShopRite lateley. They have lower prices than stop and shop generally, a wider selection of meats, and better produce.

By the way their Shop at home service is pretty sweet.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
I shop at Big Y, since it happens to be the most convenient for me. They are only slightly pricier than Stop & Shop, but the quality of meats, produce and deli seems better. I also love Whole Foods, but there isn't one near me. One of my favorite chains in CT is Geissler's (north central CT). The store is not too big and not too small. Unfortunately, they don't sell enough organic foods, however. But I just do my shopping at whichever place is most convenient on the way home from work. Pricing doesn't matter to me, unless it's significant (e.g., Whole Foods). Price Rite and ShopRite are terrible IMO. There is barely anything healthy in there. Stew Leonards has good food, but I don't like the environment; it's too chaotic, noisy and bogus. And the layout is ridiculously illogical. It's always packed, too, and hard to find parking. I also hate Price Chopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut